Sign in to follow this  
volksworld13

fighting a never ending battle with rust and corrosion!!

hi everyone.

just though id post this, my corrado is a 1995 8v ady, in aqua blue, when i 1st bought the car, body work was tatty but never the less solid, over the lasst 2 years, im struggling to fight a war with rust on my rear arches, it has been in the bodyshop , and i asked specifically to treat and prevent this rust .

Although surface, it wasnt structual, looking under my car a couple of weeks ago i noticed a small hole rusted out ,at the rear just in behind the back bumper, which is a small box end capping of the arch, i have cut out all rust oversize and welded in a fresh box section that looks exactly like original, and then sealed it.with seal sealer and undersealer.

because i have spent so much money 2200 on paint and bodywork, im finding it hard to keep the rust at bay, even though its the rear arches and a little on the front wings at the bottom.

im finding it harder to keep ploughing money into when i know the rust is going to continue to spread like cancer.

has anyone else got trouble and has any one found a good rust preventor for the rear arches, i have undersealed/waxoiled all under my car to prevent this.its just so damn frustrating, :brickwall: :brickwall: :mad2:

i think leon is about to scrap an aqua blue shell if you want one to have as a last resort to swap everything to...

From my experience once the rust gets in there, while treated it will only stay at bay for so long. To be sure of ridding it you have to chop it out! A heated garage helps :grin:

Using stuff like cure-rust or something similar has always worked for me,had a sciroco that had rust all over,wired it all away and used cure-rust and it was painted.....6 years later as i still know the cars location its still rust free! also using cavity wax in the areas that you cannot reach is brill for keeping rust at bay.

moisture seems to get into steel, and if you repair a problem too quickly without heating the bare metal you may actually be locking moisture under the new paint, your best bet is to do these repairs in the summer in warm dry air, failing that, at least a heated garage. Any repair outside in moist air and cold temps is going to cause trouble whatever rust removal/treatment you try.

Your location really doesn't help, I've recently booked my van in to have a bit of rust sorted and the fella wouldn't guarantee that it won't come back, he reckoned that when he used to work up in Bedfordshire he would happily guarantee his work but down here he just can't.

i think leon is about to scrap an aqua blue shell if you want one to have as a last resort to swap everything to...

The nearside inner wing has been cut out, so not sure it would be of any use to him. And I nicked the sunroof from it :D Would be useful for panels I guess.

I have always looked at rust as a cancer. It starts from the inside out. If you see rust on the outside its worse on the inside. Although treatments work for a while the rust will 99.9% come back as its somehow in the actual metal. Cutting it out and welding in good metal is the only real cure.