WigsVR6

Tailgate rattle

I've managed to locate the source of a rattle come knock which is coming from my tailgate. Before i start getting out the tools is there any adjustment between the locking mechinism and the boot to close the gap?

Cheers Alan

Yep - 2 allen head bolts on the bit that the lock latches too (near the VW badge)

Usually tailgate rattles come from the shelf moving about because the foam dampers are missing.

I had horrendous rattling from my rear tailgate for months up until last week, it took all of 30 seconds to cure and required no tools.

Arround the boot opening, can't remember if its on the tailgate or the body of the car, there are two small rubber cone things that are adjustable. Mine were wound right in and were doing nothing, I wound them out 2 turns ish, bingo, no rattling at all, my car is the quitest its been for years!

Thanks for the replies guys I've actually got some time off work this weekened so I'll try out both suggestions. Never thought that the cones were adjustable that will be my first port of call and yes the noise coming from the tailgate as driven me mad. Will be an easy fix even for me :D

After washing the car today I wound out the cones two full turns (they were wound right down) just in time as the rain started so I've not had the time to road test.

Managed to take the C out for a spin today and everything is now fine its the quietest its ever been inside. Thanks Andy for passing on your tip I didnt know them rubber cones even adjusted!

Agreed Andy,

Its such a simple fix and I bet not many people know about it.

Could you explain where these rubber 'cones' are located please!!

if you open the tailgate fully, you'll find them in the extreme corners at the top. Just gradually 'unscrew' them till you're happy with the boot fitment

This is my personal favourite ever 'rado fix. Took thirty seconds and quietened down my ride no end.

if you open the tailgate fully, you'll find them in the extreme corners at the top. Just gradually 'unscrew' them till you're happy with the boot fitment

Yeah I saw them as soon as I looked, quite obvious when you know they are there..thanks though. What an awesome fix! Worked a treat, wish I had known that years ago!!!