Sign in to follow this  
jonybravo

Wheel bolts

Hi All,

Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway-

I had the rado in for a service recently, and I asked the guys to fit my front spacers. They weren't able to do it with the original bolts as they are too short.

My question is, are all wheel bolts pretty much standard, or do I need to get VW specific ones etc etc, as I need to go out and buy some longer ones

Cheers

I dont think they are all they same..I got porka ones and they thicker and have a different pitch

Be aware also that VW wheels and bolts have a quasi-spherical interface and BBS have a conical one.

Important to distinguish as you'll get very high local stresses if you mix them.

I'm not sure about the interface shape of other wheels.

Re bolt/screw length - a reasonable rule of thumb is to ensure you have thread engagement at least as long as the bolt/screw diameter.

If you're using spacers over 5mm (or may even be 3) then you will need longer bolts. I got mine from G-Werks when I had wheels made with a different offset.

Be aware also that VW wheels and bolts have a quasi-spherical interface and BBS have a conical one.

so true, alot of people don't even consider these things :lol:

I know VR bolts aer M14 where as all other rados are M12

:pale:

just brought a set for my VR, and im sure they were m12 :bad-words: looks like they will be going on the valver then and will have to buy some more :lol:

Important to distinguish as you'll get very high local stresses if you mix them.

Re bolt/screw length - a reasonable rule of thumb is to ensure you have thread engagement at least as long as the bolt/screw diameter.

...Didn't know this :eek: - When you say VW wheels, do you mean OEM wheels, as I didn't think VW made their own wheels?? Should you change your bolts if swapping between solitudes and speedlines for example? Or to be be more specific, should I have changed my bolts when I swapped from the Speedies to my BBS RCs??? :shrug:

Thanks for your help

Mark

...Didn't know this :eek: - When you say VW wheels, do you mean OEM wheels, as I didn't think VW made their own wheels?? Should you change your bolts if swapping between solitudes and speedlines for example? Or to be be more specific, should I have changed my bolts when I swapped from the Speedies to my BBS RCs??? :shrug:

Thanks for your help

Mark

Would like to know this too Mark. Where would you get bolts for my BBS RX's? OEM ones from the dealer as they were mk3 anni rims??

Anything standard on a VW will use Radius seat bolts.

Like this :

S17A26BIG.jpg

Most aftermarket wheels and other manufacturers use these, tapered seat bolts

:

B31BIG.jpg

As the lads say if its for a 4 stud Corrado they're M12, 5 stud is M14. And as for spacers, i use 15mm spacers on the front of my car and i bought 39mm length bolts which is about right considering i think normal bolts are around 23mm long.

Dont know what kind of bolts BBS use but i'd guess it will be tapered seat bolts as they're an aftermarket type....

Anything standard on a VW will use Radius seat bolts.

Like this :

S17A26BIG.jpg

Most aftermarket wheels and other manufacturers use these, tapered seat bolts

:

B31BIG.jpg

As the lads say if its for a 4 stud Corrado they're M12, 5 stud is M14. And as for spacers, i use 15mm spacers on the front of my car and i bought 39mm length bolts which is about right considering i think normal bolts are around 23mm long.

Dont know what kind of bolts BBS use but i'd guess it will be tapered seat bolts as they're an aftermarket type....

BBS deffo use the conical ones in your pic!

Thanks for your help

Mark

Would like to know this too Mark. Where would you get bolts for my BBS RX's? OEM ones from the dealer as they were mk3 anni rims??

Yes, by VW I was referring to OEM wheels.

If they are original OEM Solitudes and Speedlines made for VW they will have the radiused or quasi-spherical bolt seats and be the same.

For BBS bolts including matching security bolts in the set, you will have to go a long way to beat PW - see link:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62256&hilit=BBS+Wheels