Sign in to follow this  
Mr oemforyou

Help On choice of corrado.... Please

You say you only do around town driving.

No one has mentioned the 8v 2.0. OK, not as high reving as the 16v but it must give better mpg.

Though all this mpg comparison talk is useless, it's how you drive the car that makes the difference. If you really need to get good mpg you can get better in a VR driven 'carefully' than screaming and heavy braking a 16 or 8v round town.

But why have a VR if it's only for town driving? :cuckoo: It needs the open road. (Bit like putting a killer whale in a swiming pool :roll: )

its kind of pointless to post all these mpg shots - everyone can manipulate their car into showing a high figure by driving at unrealistically slow motorway speeds (jon!) - i got 36ish out of my VR doing that once, but its not possible over anything less than 50 very straight miles...

if everyone is being honest the reality is that in normal running you'll get 24-28 mpg and a bit more on decent motorway runs. i spent 4 hours driving back and forward across london yesterday and got 17mpg just to add a bit of balance to everything.

it doesnt mean I wouldnt have a VR every day of the week, its just that if i had the money I would buy an 8V as well as judith suggests

the 2.0 8v is certainly the most fuel efficent engine across the range, driven sensibly.

thats why i cant let my 8v go, just so good on fuel. and the bhp between an 8v and 16v aint a huge amount.plus you can pick up an 8v cheaper if you look around!

The whole VR6 running costs issue does kinda grip-my-shit lads.

Its a Corrado, its an older VW. If you want to keep it mint without eBay'ing it, or having the time/tools/knowledge to do it yourself, then its going to cost money. The VR6 is a reliable car, plus its as ecomonical as you fucking want it to be. I can get 30MPG easy, however, I don't normally drive it so steady as 1). I don't need to and 2). I can afford not to and more importantly 3). because I didn't buy the car with the MPG being the most important thing!

The VR6 is also a classic and fun. I'm not too sure about the G60, I've never driven or owned one. IF I wanted one of the other Corrado's with a 8v, 16v etc etc, then I'd buy a Mk2 Golf GTi. Why buy a pov-spec Corrado? Its a contradiction.

its kind of pointless to post all these mpg shots - everyone can manipulate their car into showing a high figure by driving at unrealistically slow motorway speeds (jon!) - i got 36ish out of my VR doing that once, but its not possible over anything less than 50 very straight miles...

:lol: yeah John, except it wasn't unrealistically slow... was on one of those rare occasions when the M25 was busy but flowing.. so just took it nice and easy and stayed "in traffic" those that have followd me (Lisa-Yeti) know I generally don't hang about on the M-way... actually it was sort of mixed as that was a Sunday drive from my old place in e-London to Hemel so included the n-circ and M11 as well as the Bell Tunnel roadworks too!

Just stnding up for the "poor" relation 16vs out there...

IF I wanted one of the other Corrado's with a 8v, 16v etc etc, then I'd buy a Mk2 Golf GTi. Why buy a pov-spec Corrado? Its a contradiction.
Not really.... golf and the corrado are different cars to drive. I love tootling round town in my 8v. Better driving position than the golf and generally just feels comfier. Not everyone can afford the insurance and running costs of a super duper tuned VR6... don't get me wrong, I'd love one but at the moment my 8v serves it purpose much better than a golf would. Personal preference I suppose.

Absolutely, 8v's rock!

Corrados aren't just about going fast, if they were, then I expect most of them would have been scrapped by now, lets face it even the VR6 isn't exactly a 'quick' car any more.

the golf gti 8v sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i would drive a 8v corrado everyday defo :D

and i disagree that the VR6 isnt fast, it still is fast imo. There isnt really a need to go faster than a VR, its just fun if you do. For the money they are a good looking fast sportcar which will give most things a run for their money

the golf gti 8v sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i would drive a 8v corrado everyday defo :D

eh I take you mean mk3+?

eh I take you mean mk3+?

i had a mk3 gti 8v, got me from A to B and was VERY reliable, only thing that could go wrong with it is if i fell asleep at the wheel as its so boring to drive :sleeping:

and i disagree that the VR6 isnt fast, it still is fast imo. There isnt really a need to go faster than a VR, its just fun if you do. For the money they are a good looking fast sportcar which will give most things a run for their money

Coming from the man who is driving a VRT :lol: 8)

Though yeah i'd disagree with that too, VRs these days arent the fastest car on the road, but they can still shift adequetly to keep me happy.... for now, then i'll put a turbo or supercharger on it! :D

Coming from the man who is driving a VRT :lol: 8)

Though yeah i'd disagree with that too, VRs these days arent the fastest car on the road, but they can still shift adequetly to keep me happy.... for now, then i'll put a turbo or supercharger on it! :D

[/quote:1g9pj5sk]

:lol:

i do sometimes wonder why i need a VRT, i miss the VR noise and character!! but then you get in the VRT and realise how good it is to have a corrado that goes so fast!! i cant see myslef ever getting rid of it... and i need to be able to pull the pants down on cars like Type R's and that, so much fun :grin:

What sort of mileage do you do? Ive had every Corrado and TBH unless your doing a huge amount of miles there will not be a big difference in running costs. In fact it will not be far off your current car. The VR does need would up as well to fly.

Considering what the prices are at the moment and thinking about resale Id say a VR everytime.

If you are thinking of long term Corrado ownership, and I am guessing you are an "enthusiast" coming on this site-get a VR, I have a valver which I love but would like a VR.

I have spent a fortune on the valver (which I will never get back) and now face the dilema of selling it for a fraction of what I have spent ( I suspect a few of the 16v owners on here are in the same boat).

Buy a VR whilst they are good value, or at least drive a selection of VR's and valvers and then make your mind up.

Rich.