Sign in to follow this  
SIMONG

great idea!

Had a bit of a chat about these before on here, but good to see more opening up... REALLY like the thought of booking the whole garage for a day with a group of friends for a bit of combined tinkering time! :)

Had a bit of a chat about these before on here, but good to see more opening up... REALLY like the thought of booking the whole garage for a day with a group of friends for a bit of combined tinkering time! :)

Ya would be a club meet with a difference

imagine how many oil and filter changes you could do in an hour!

just think its great for people like me who dont have a drive or garage, just a terraced house parked out on the street!

Wow - good to see one of these opening reasonably near me. Racking brain on what I need to do under the cars at the minute...

Thanks for the link

I'd really like to take my car to one of these just so that I could get it up on a lift and take my time inspecting it etc. Anyone know if there is anything like this in the south?

good stuff, i know others on here did a business case for this type of venture, and i looked into it too, good to see someone making a go of it, though i guess it makes even better sense in these austeer times with people preferring to maintain than buy new?

would be keen to see how it operates, as the initial capital outlay was pretty huge with the building, equipment and tools, and then you had the health & safety issues to consider.

i'll be getting booked in straightaway if one opens locally :D

It's the health and safety aspect which I can't get my head around, given the way things are this day and age... I'm wondering if they have an assistant mechanic guy who helps advise people on getting the jacking points lined up, etc for putting cars on the lifters? Surely they don't just leave you to it?

Ya would be a club meet with a difference

like the sound of that a lot!

It's the health and safety aspect which I can't get my head around, given the way things are this day and age... I'm wondering if they have an assistant mechanic guy who helps advise people on getting the jacking points lined up, etc for putting cars on the lifters? Surely they don't just leave you to it?

yep that helped killed the idea for us, h&s risk galore as so many things to look out for in that sort of enviroment. if they haven't got an assistant guy, then maybe they've arranged a disclaimer to sign before using :shrug:

when ive have been i will let you know how the do things i.e. disclamiers, h&s

ive got a few miles to go before the oil change but think it will bob down before that to have a butchers

Thats a pretty cool idea, think that would def be useful for many people, including myself.

one thing though, i wonder what would happen if one guy reckons he can replace his rear axle in one hour, then obviously cant, his car is then in bits and the guy whos booked in to use it next is buggered!! I can see this being a common senario, as booking times would have to be close together to maximise profit?!

I can see it being a good idea, but can see it running into serious problems with H&S etc. i mean most people are able to change an oil and filter easily enough but then you may get some people trying to fit brakes or something which in turn could be a danger if not done properly. Dont forget that is why people train so they know how to do these jobs correctly and safely and that is why garages charge the money they do.

Scenario to think about is someone changing their brakes or something related to the braking system which they dont do correctly as they arent qualified to do so, go down the road and hit a car resulting in a death of someone innocent. I know how truly aggrieved i would feel if this was my family member. This is why I think only someone fully qualified work on my car.

Just my opinion on the topic though....

There is a similar one in the north east but for club members only. There is one ramp, a few temp bays that can be worked in and longer staying bays for full restoration projects. A mate has got a bay booked for 6 months coming up to restore a land rover and thinks the place is very good. To use the specailist tools you are required to prove you can use them competantly before hand and not 100% but think there is a waiver to sign.

Having said that the guy is very handy at car maintenance etc and facilities like the one near me helps people persue there passion whom do not have that kind of facility at hand.