C. Will Corrado G60 2

Quick oil Q?

I'm having my Corrado serviced and I'm wondering which is the best oil I should use for my set-up below.

2.8 VR6 90,000 miles

Stage 3 Supercharger

FMIC

Oil Cooler

Cams

etc etc

Running around 300BHP.

Cheers

I've always used Silkolene Pro S 10W/50. Modified VR6 engines seem to like it.

Kev, Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't really know much about oil, but from brief conversations with the garage, they've said a Semi-synthetic would be better for an engine which has done over 90,000. Now, what I would like to know is, why?

The oil you suggest is fully synthetic, why would this be better, also what is the difference between 10W/40 and 10W/50?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know you have experience in modified VR6 engines, so I good man to ask.

Cheers

There's always been this notion that synthetic oils are bad for old engines and 'too thin' etc. If you're talking about a 0W/30 designed for crank bearings with ultra fine tolerances, then maybe. But a fully synthetic 10W/50 is both within the thickness range VW specify for the VR6, and also vastly superior to the semi-synthetic.

The difference is 10W/50 gives a thicker film at 100 deg than 10W/40, which for a forced induction VR6, is perfect for cylinder walls and bearings. It also handles fuel dilation a lot better (overly rich blowby gases), which again, makes it perfect for forced induction use.

I would say ignore your garage. Mileage is irrelevant, engine condition is the most important thing. If your engine is burning a lot of oil now, a change of oil won't stop that (it can reduce it though), but if it's a decent engine then switching to Silkolene is probably one of the best things you can do to it.

Kev, you're a star mate. That's all the info I need to purchase the right oil. I'll go with your suggestion, 6 litres should do it hey?

Have you purchased from http://www.opieoils.co.uk before?

I find a refill takes approx 5.5 litres if you have an oil cooler fitted, but yeah, 6 litres is the sump capacity.

Yeah I have ordered several times from Opieoils and they are excellent. I think you may have just missed a good deal on the Silkolene. Was £38 for 5L last night, instead of £54.

so is mobile 1 0-40 ok for a std vr6 ?? as thats what im using and dont seem to be having any problems ??

I wouldn't use it in my engine, but if yours likes it, I see no reason to change :D

I think the minimum cold viscosity VW specify for the VR6 is a 5W for cold climates. 0W is a fair bit thinner. So long as sufficient film thickness and strength is maintained during cold cranking and warm up, it will be fine. VW won't have tested the engine on 0W/40, so it's hard to predict what will happen long term.

So Kev, you're a man with a bit of knowledge. Im always used Quantum Gold Synthetic 10W-40 in my VR. Would it be worth switching to the silkoline? Even if its about twice the price?

No worries /\. I just noticed Millers now do a 10W/50 CFS, which Opie oils also sell. That's a good oil aswell. Popular with the Subaru boys.

So Kev, you're a man with a bit of knowledge. Im always used Quantum Gold Synthetic 10W-40 in my VR. Would it be worth switching to the silkoline? Even if its about twice the price?

Quantum Gold is 5W/40 mate. If the engine isn't drinking it at a horrendous rate, there's no need to switch oils :D The main reason I use Silkolene 10W/50 is because of the looser bore tolerances of forged pistons and turbo bearings need a top quality lubricant. For a standard or lightly modified engine, demands on the oil are far less and therefore you don't need such a good oil, although I have found that if the engine is getting on a bit and using oil, the Silkolene really helps with that, reducing over-run smoking a fair bit.

For high revving VR6s and forced inducton, 10W/50 Silky is definitely the way to go, or Millers CFS.

No worries /\. I just noticed Millers now do a 10W/50 CFS, which Opie oils also sell. That's a good oil aswell. Popular with the Subaru boys.

Quantum Gold is 5W/40 mate. If the engine isn't drinking it at a horrendous rate, there's no need to switch oils :D The main reason I use Silkolene 10W/50 is because of the looser bore tolerances of forged pistons and turbo bearings need a top quality lubricant. For a standard or lightly modified engine, demands on the oil are far less and therefore you don't need such a good oil, although I have found that if the engine is getting on a bit and using oil, the Silkolene really helps with that, reducing over-run smoking a fair bit.

For high revving VR6s and forced inducton, 10W/50 Silky is definitely the way to go, or Millers CFS.

Ah, thanks for explaining. No my engine is tight and doesn't drink barely any oil. Not even the amount quoted in the manual.

Bit of a thread resurection here but some advice needed, now im wondering what oil would be best. My car seems to be getting upto 120degrees on a leadfoot run so from what i have read semi synthetic isn't a good choice as apparently they don't do well at those temps and with summer coming i reckon i'll see this temp more often. In winter my VR was running happily at about 94degrees but in warmer weather its about 104degrees.

I've been told either 5w40 or 10w40 is best but 5w40 is the only stuff i can get round where i live. If i need to spend the extra money and buy online i will do but for a VR6 at about 140k with an engine rebuild 10k ago is 5w40 a good idea or should i go with 10w40?

Its just a standard car with an air filter, uses a small bit of oil over a long period of time but nothing worrying.

Cheers

[standard answer =Wire says] Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 [/answer]

And yes, I have used that on a standard engine with same condition and spec as yours and it loved it :D