biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

Afternoon all,

Just got news that the car has only just reached 300bhp @ 1.4 bar :( :( :( Basically its pinking really badly top end so they have had to pull the ignition back 12% ! Elton reckons that as a ball point figure you loose 5-6bhp per 1% you pull back, so that's about 50-60bhp down on what it should be. Its the crappy cheap unleaded that I got from my local garage... :(

Sooo.. I'm going down early Saturday morning with x2 five gallon Jerry cans full off the highest octane super unleaded I can find.. prob that Tesco's stuff ! And hopefully it might bring that figure up to about 340 bhp!

Ben

That's interesting to know about the timing losses..... by that reckoning mine is about 30hp - 40hp down as I've seen 6 to 8 degrees retard in the knock tables over a 30 minute blast :-)

Good luck with the next run, it'll make 350 I reckon!

biggerbigben, not happy with 300bhp? lol

Sounds a crapper that, but keep going you'll get there!

Its not really a case of being unhappy with that output mate, its just it should be seeing at least 330 bhp on normal 95 octane fuel. grrrr

That's interesting to know about the timing losses..... by that reckoning mine is about 30hp - 40hp down as I've seen 6 to 8 degrees retard in the knock tables over a 30 minute blast :-)

Good luck with the next run, it'll make 350 I reckon!

you still need a certain amount of ignition retard for saftey reasons.. tbh but not 12 % ! lol

cheers mate, but unfortunatly somethings happened which means mapping has had to be put on pause and I have to remove the gearbox! Explain later when I finish work.. grrrrrrr, not a happy Ben!

Basically the flywheel has come loose and I have been told that its because I used 20vt flywheel bolts instead of using G60 items.. my bad. Luckly Jabba noticed before they finished the mapping off so fingers crossed, there shouldn't be any damage!

So going to pick it up am sat and my plan is to work through the weekend and have it back together for sunday, take monday off and have it back to Jabba to finish off the mapping there and then. Got to speak to them first but hopefully it might pay off and I will be still on schedule for the end of monday...

If not then I intent to stip everything out of the engine bay and clean it up, (I hate it being soo messy) fit the VR6 cogs i have into the rallye housing and put it all back togeather for March in time for that indoor show and get the mapping finished off in time for the RR day in April.. we'll see.

Just a bit miffed off tbh..

Ben

that's a bit of a bummer. it's virtually impossible to remove the box on a syncro without taking the engine out.

TIP, unbolt the tranfser box and leave that and the engine in the car connected to the prop.

Aslo, what fuel pump ar you using? I had the same problem with mine, it just started pinking at 5000rpm, the ecu was pulling the timing right back, which is why it peaked at 5800rpm then fell flat on it's face. At the time I too blamed it on poor unleaded (non super) but I'm not thinking it may have been the 4 motion fuel pump not up to the job.

I can imagine. cant understand why its pinking so much?

what fuel pump are you using?

I've been over everything and I too can't understand why. The fuel pump is running right apparently. I'll change the fuel over and see what happens..

B

that's a bit of a bummer. it's virtually impossible to remove the box on a syncro without taking the engine out.

TIP, unbolt the tranfser box and leave that and the engine in the car connected to the prop.

Aslo, what fuel pump ar you using? I had the same problem with mine, it just started pinking at 5000rpm, the ecu was pulling the timing right back, which is why it peaked at 5800rpm then fell flat on it's face. At the time I too blamed it on poor unleaded (non super) but I'm not thinking it may have been the 4 motion fuel pump not up to the job.

I've got the added headache with having a turbo that sits about 2mm above the transfer box! So its engine out job..

The pump must be ok.. ????? the pressure is as it should, how much its flowing on the other hand I don't know.

B

whats the plans then Ben, other than what you "subtley" mentioned earlier today.

Jay

I don't want to spill the beans yet as tbh I don't know exactly what I'm going to do, but seeing as the gearbox has to come off in order for the new flywheel bolts to be fitted I might as well sort everything else out while I'm at it! I tried tidying the wiring once and it didn't work so drastic plans are needed! Cause it looks crap at the moment and the ali bits on the engine are going all horrible again!

Ben

I did but it's inspiational is it not. Perhaps its a touch more than a tidy up though to get those results.

I did but it's inspiational is it not. Perhaps its a touch more than a tidy up though to get those results.

Absolutely.. I couldn’t agree with you more! I wonder if its possible to ‘clean’ a high powered engine as much as Mr Sweetlands !?? Certainly a very impressive engine bay none the less.

Absolutely.. I couldn’t agree with you more! I wonder if its possible to ‘clean’ a high powered engine as much as Mr Sweetlands !?? Certainly a very impressive engine bay none the less.

Simon's mk2 is pushing 280-290bhp, sounds high-powered enough to me!