biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

oh and show of appreciation for the sister / camera gal for the day

sister.jpg

look like she had fun?!? :)

340bhp... nice.. IHI is the ceramic turbo isnt it? do you have the haldex 4wd or is it a better system from a golf ralye or something? Im running 260bhp and that feels pretty quick as it is. cant imagine wat yours must be like! well done!

As for E38. i have actually had a few requests but unfortunately im away :(

heheh.. i'm sure my sis would love that pic..

The IHI is ceramic.. I have the rallye syncro 4wd for now ;-) 260bhp would be quick.. 340bhp is pretty damn fast..

A Stunning car- the dash is a work of art - enjoyed the vids too- tho the older ones where you were ragging it round the garden made me laugh- neighbours must have been aghast :)

A Stunning car- the dash is a work of art - enjoyed the vids too- tho the older ones where you were ragging it round the garden made me laugh- neighbours must have been aghast :)

hehehe... yeah I had a bit of fun making all those vids ;-)

Thanks for your comments re the dash.. It makes the whole 14 months of work worth while with comments like that! I understand alot of people won't like it and thats fine, I didn't build it for anyone else.. I built it for me.. really as a bet to myself to see whether I could actually do it! I truly love it. You get a different view of the dash when sitting in the front seats of the car, very difficult to capture on camera. Therefore the only way for you lot to see it in this way is to have a sit in the car.. just ask.. I'll be happy to let peeps have a sit in it.. also I'll take anyone for a spin if they wish also..

Ben

What sort of MPG you getting from it Ben? :)

(Sorry if it's been asked before)

Well so far I've average 25 mpg over a 400 mile range. Thats a mixture of everything, and alot of trips up and down the road for friends.. i.e. flooring it, motorway, A+B roads etc.

The rallye gearbox has crap ratios for crusing. To sit at 80-85 on the motorway means your almost sitting at 4k RPM... a little too much imo, therefore with VR6 cogs I'm hoping to achieve 30-mpg certainly for motorway trips.

I'm used to an oil burner.. £50 = 500 miles.. its a shock to the system now, £50 (super unleded) = 200 miles...

But all in all I suppose 25mpg is pretty good really considering its power.

yeah its not bad MPG really...

Gearbox is getting weaker and weaker by the second though :( I can feel it.. and some strange noises are coming from it now... not good. Need it to hold out until the winter then i can change it..

Got to make a trip to Oxford area at the weekend... Just hope it holds up for the 300 mile round trip!

Quick (but long)update.

The quest is now on to swap over to Haldex. I've thought long and hard about doing it and come to the conclusion that to make the car ultra realible the haldex conversion is the only sensible option in order to achieve this. I've clocked up a fair few miles now and I'm happy with the engine. As long as I'm careful I should be able to keep it in one piece. I've found myself driving it with ultra care and hardly thrash it at all. The 4wd is good, and I won't go back to FWD in a hurry, but 2 things are annoying me, first is the clunk you get when reversing - this is becasue the syncro diff is meant to be disengaged in reverse and I haven't set this up, second thing is my gearbox will not stay in 5th unless you keep it constantly under load, annoying but needs a full rebuild and thats pointless really. I can live with it fo a while but a 6spd S3/TT box makes more sense as the cruising speed will be that much higher.

Anyway I've done some research on the Haldex swap. Its not cheap and I will start to collect the parts slowly when funds allow and hopefully have it done for Worthersee next year.

Coxy, Phat, others - what are you doing with regards to driveshafts? Custom or shortening/grinding down the TT/S3 items to fit. I've been told Mk3 Syncro items fit, is this true? I feel custom ones are the only way to get them truly accurate and fitting correctly?

I'm going to have to modify my turbo wastgate housing to make room for the the bigger transfer box, prop needs modding, rear beam needs to be converted and the gearbox mount needs moving. I will purchase the Dutchdub conversion DIY bits I think to speed up the process.

The last bit is the controller. I have something up my sleeve for this ;-) Can't say too much but I should have the haldex working all correctly and one of the features will be launch control ;-)

Anyway let the project begin!

Ben

Good idea Ben,

From my understanding the best option is to have custom ones made

i know you can make standard ones work with the use of a skoda fabia vrs one on one side and an audi 80 one on the other side up fornt.

At the back your existing shafts will work with some shanging of cv's

Are you using 4 or 5 stud hubs?

the s3 box is nice. 4000 rpm at 100mph .. shame that second gear only gets you to 50mph ish though.

I know there are various haldex upgraded controlers you can buy that allow you to manually set where the power goes or even just lock it at 50/50

rmn,

Hi mate.. the only problem with custom jobbies is that it cost the earth! About £1000 inc VAT for 4! However if I can get away with using the exsisting rear drive shafts (what cv's do they need to fit??) then I might splash out and get some custom items up front...

I am using 4 stud.. that won't make a difference at the rear will it? Using rallye rear wishbones not mk3 syncro as well btw.

Last question.. have you started doing the conversion on yours?

jedi-knight83,

4k revs = 100mph, thats a whole lot better than current setup! You are right about the 50 in 2nd though, its a shame but not that bigger deal to hit 60 in 2nd.. I know how fast the car is!! A mate has an EIP 40% reduction short shifter on his R32 and it makes for a really really nice gear change! I'm especially looking forward to purchasing one of those!! Having a 6th gear is nice also!

I won't have any of the standard wiring for the Haldex on mine. I will be running a completely bepoke haldex ecu so I will be able to lock out at 50/50 or whatever I want from 1% to 50% drive on the front or rear, amoungst other things - my fav being launch control! Can't say too much about it as he has put alot of hard work into it and continues to do so!

biggerbigben, yeah i was sizing up my back axle last night, so am trying to figure it out

your back ones with mk4 r32 or tt inner cv's should fit 100% as the haldex is narrower than the syncro diff (10mm i think on each side)

with the front, if your using rallye track up front then the fabia shaft on one side(left i think but i will confirm when i get home) and the sudi one will fit 100%, so no need for custom jobbies, the fabia is a mk2 width track with a mk4 style box on it(i priced these as £130 for new shafts)

What i will prob do as i am going 5 stud(due to some stud shearing fun on track last year :lol: ) is get the mk4 shafts shortened to fit, so not totally custom but basicly custom and on the back use rallye driveshafts that i have with r32 inner cv's

I will post exact info once i get home

biggerbigben, yeah i was sizing up my back axle last night, so am trying to figure it out

your back ones with mk4 r32 or tt inner cv's should fit 100% as the haldex is narrower than the syncro diff (10mm i think on each side)

with the front, if your using rallye track up front then the fabia shaft on one side(left i think but i will confirm when i get home) and the sudi one will fit 100%, so no need for custom jobbies, the fabia is a mk2 width track with a mk4 style box on it(i priced these as £130 for new shafts)

What i will prob do as i am going 5 stud(due to some stud shearing fun on track last year :lol: ) is get the mk4 shafts shortened to fit, so not totally custom but basicly custom and on the back use rallye driveshafts that i have with r32 inner cv's

I will post exact info once i get home

mate you are a legend! If I can get away with using those then I will.. save on cost big time! Let me know when you get home! Will the spline on the rear rallye items fit a TT/R32 inner haldex CV?

as far as i know be it will, thats what lots of lads are using, makes things easier

i have been confusing myself for ages till i figured this out

hello ben.

I used the jetta syncro rear drive shafts mated to the 4motion rear inner cv joints, they fit perfectly with the wider track of the vr6 syncro rear wishbones.

Yours should be fine, if a touch tight. Best thing is to try it, you will know straight away.

Front wise I had custom shafts made up, twice because I balls'd up the measurements first time round. You would have thought I would have learned because I balls'd up the measurements when I put my 6 speed 02M in the mk2 and had to get 2 sets made up then!

They arent that expensive. I got some made up from a company called drivelink autosport, cost me about 140 quid per set, and they are solid super tough rally spec'd jobbies. The hardest part for them was that the 4motion splines are some weird design which was difficult to copy.

Anyways let me know how you get on.

and yes the spline on the syncro rear shafts fits the the haldex inner cvs.

CoxyLaad,

Thanks chap! I've got it sussed in my head how I'm going to go about doing the driveshafts now.

- custom jobbies up front

- VR6 syncro wishbones with 4stud rallye hubs pushed in on mk4 polo front bearings.

Thats the best and prob the cheapest way of converting over I think!

I wonder if the mk4 rear calipers will be a straight fit on the VR6 syncro wishbones using the rallye hangers, which I have fitted on my current setup?

Ben

jedi-knight83,

4k revs = 100mph, thats a whole lot better than current setup! You are right about the 50 in 2nd though, its a shame but not that bigger deal to hit 60 in 2nd.. I know how fast the car is!! A mate has an EIP 40% reduction short shifter on his R32 and it makes for a really really nice gear change! I'm especially looking forward to purchasing one of those!! Having a 6th gear is nice also!

I won't have any of the standard wiring for the Haldex on mine. I will be running a completely bepoke haldex ecu so I will be able to lock out at 50/50 or whatever I want from 1% to 50% drive on the front or rear, amoungst other things - my fav being launch control! Can't say too much about it as he has put alot of hard work into it and continues to do so!

40% shorter throw! would like to try that. the throw is pretty damn short as it is. I wonder if it means selecting the wrong gear becomes quite easy.

Launch Control sounds awsome. I had a go in a TT DSG and that has it. Feels pretty cool and im sure it does actually help get a good take off compared to doing it manually.

Good Luck

alright ben looks like I'll be catching up to you soon with my AMG SC... so few of the corrados here have over 300 hp, so sad =-(....

its ok we blow our own transmissions up! =-) ahahahaha

hey um Im gonna have an ECU that handles 21 psi only... thats 5.5 psi extra that I will have... any tips? anyone got a 300 kpa map sensor ECU made up?

still you got me beat with looks and the 4x4, my car is mostly for the track...

alright ben looks like I'll be catching up to you soon with my AMG SC... so few of the corrados here have over 300 hp, so sad =-(....

its ok we blow our own transmissions up! =-) ahahahaha

hey um Im gonna have an ECU that handles 21 psi only... thats 5.5 psi extra that I will have... any tips? anyone got a 300 kpa map sensor ECU made up?

still you got me beat with looks and the 4x4, my car is mostly for the track...

sorry mate, just seen this..

Going to fit Haldex shortly so blowing up the transmission shouldn't be an issue! I'm using a 3 bar map sensor but thats on an aftermarket EMS. Are you using the standard G60 ECU?

Hardly got you beat on looks mate, the car is pretty much standard on the exterior! Keep us posted on your progress chap, be interesting to know how you get on.

Ben