Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Mirror Switch Removal

Right, Im taking all my switches out for changing the LED's inside.

My query: Does the doorcard NEED to come off to get the mirror switch out? And before anyone says, I have the 2 window switches out already :p

Basically can't be arsed to take the doorcard off again, but obviously will if necessary!!

the handle has a cover, you prise it off from the bottom with a flat head, theres 2 screws under there

My query: Does the doorcard NEED to come off to get the mirror switch out? And before anyone says, I have the 2 window switches out already :p

Basically can't be arsed to take the doorcard off again, but obviously will if necessary!!

Is yours a late model? Im guessing since its VR then it is. The mirror switch contains SMDs and are a complete PITA to replace, the window switches are easy to do, likewise with the dash switches (i know because ive replaced all mine with blue LEDs).

As Kempy says, you prise the handle cover off, undo the 2 large screws and you can unclip the switch! :)

Is yours a late model? Im guessing since its VR then it is. The mirror switch contains SMDs and are a complete PITA to replace, the window switches are easy to do, likewise with the dash switches (i know because ive replaced all mine with blue LEDs).

As Kempy says, you prise the handle cover off, undo the 2 large screws and you can unclip the switch! :)

Yeh, bit stupid of me really seeing as I took it off t'other day. All I had to do was go down to the car and have a look :lol:

All sorted now tho. Not sure whether to go all red or all blue...

blue looks brilliant imho but red is softer on the eye. Perhaps a combination of both, ie switches in blue and clocks & heater dials in red?

Mine are blue, i can post images up for you in a bit as its nice and dark outside :lol:

I've got a nice combo of blue switches, blue dials, blue lights for dash and red LCD display :)

All ive got left to convert is the mirror switch and the sunroof switch but like i said, they're both SMDs and would need some fine soldering to change them...also the sunroof switch SMDs are wired in series....

blue looks brilliant imho but red is softer on the eye. Perhaps a combination of both, ie switches in blue and clocks & heater dials in red?

Hmm good idea, I did want a combo ideally. When I get a headunit I want blue illumination, have blue on the clocks, red on the LCD's so was going more towards red switches, it also seems a little more OE? I heard heater dials are a biatch to change over tho?

Mine are blue, i can post images up for you in a bit as its nice and dark outside :lol:

I've got a nice combo of blue switches, blue dials, blue lights for dash and red LCD display :)

Mate if you would that would be awesome! I've seen a couple of photos but not many seem to be good quality (as it's dark and focus is out etc)

Realise it might be a bit late now but I was watchin' Man Utd stuff AC!!

Mate if you would that would be awesome! I've seen a couple of photos but not many seem to be good quality (as it's dark and focus is out etc)

Just been outside with the phone camera as i trod on my digital :( anyway the pics arent brilliant (see above quote lol) looks much better in the 'light' (get it....cr&p joke..)

The blue is a bit bright but it usually doesnt bother me, using red probably wouldn't be much different, you could change the light output however by using a different resistor...which i might do if i get fed up with it being bright, or ill tweak the dial by the light switch (it doesnt control the lcd display as they turn on when i put the keys in the ignition, reverse LCD is hard to see during the day! :lol: )

Also for some reason the LEDs in the switches are brighter than the dash switches (even with the dial turned all the way up)

Hope this helps

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf100310_222018.jpg[/attachment:25dhc2sr]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf100310_222051.jpg[/attachment:25dhc2sr]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf100310_222430.jpg[/attachment:25dhc2sr]

100310_222211.jpg[/attachment:25dhc2sr]

Hope this helps

Yes mate thanks for goin' out at this time to do that! Although I say it helps, Im still undecided!!

Im edging more towards red...simply for my headunit being blue and clocks being blue, think it'd contrast well...HMMMMM.... :lol:

Yeah, ive made my ABS red and im getting a blue and red headunit so theres my contrast there, im also tempted to make my heater dials red instead so that part of the dash is just red with only the switches blue (this is what i get for buying 100s of LEDs on ebay....) let me know how you get on with the mirror switch, i haven't tackled the SMDs just yet although i think my sunroof switch is knackered so might be the guinea pig for this...