Sign in to follow this  
umonkeyz

shall i change inner tie rods only?

hi,

2 weeks into my new raddo! yey, new bmc cda sounds lush!!

but she is feeling sloppy as hell as my local vw indie advised on a checkup there is significant play on both inner tie rod ends. and also front wishbone bushes are cracked.

im gonna have to get a gargae to fit these as they seem a bit tricky for a noob! :)

i was just wondering if they can just replace the inner tie rod ends only, or are they atttached to the tie rod bar?

if its just one piece (inner rod end and bar) im thinking maybe i should just get them to replace the inner and outer tie rod ends? is there anything else they may as well replace while doing the wishbone bushes for me?

ive got coilovers waiting to go on, but i want to learn how to put these on myself, and ill be putting on new top mounts too.

does anyone know the items ill need to supply to the garage to do the inner tie rods and wishbone bushes?

i want to to get genuine vw tie rods, new boots, and poly bushes?

any ideas on the full range of parts ill need??

many thanks.

:notworthy:

I replaced my tie rod ends and rods recently - pretty straightforward job.

Got these - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... 8c9b6&TRAS

Inner is fixed to the rod. Easy as pie as long as you manoeuvre the steering so you can get a spanner to the flat on the inner end.

Much improves the steering! Remember to grease up the threads so future tracking adjustment is easy.

you idealy need to go for inners and track rod ends , new wishbone bushes , ball joints and maybe top mounts if money allows

that way its all the bits that wear and once its tracked up (find someone that can do it right ) it should need to come apart for a while

otherwise one new part will highlight some wear somewhere else ...and anyway labour shouldnt be much more to have them done while its apart

New rods come with ends so best to replace them and also the steering rack boots.

As Steve says above it's best to renew as much as you can in that area and then have it all alligned if it's mostly original.

This way you don't get differential wear on parts - ie where new parts wear out quicker than they should becuase of other worn ones around them.

Im gonna do something similar soon, was gonna replace w/bone bushes, tie rod ends, ball joints, top mounts have been done.

What's this all about inner tie rod ends etc? Is it not a tie rod and an end attached per side? So 2x tie rods and 2x rod ends? It's worth it to replace the tie rods as well as the ends then? Any part no's for a 94 VR6?

Is it in the same area as CV joints and would it be worth changing these too?

:confused4:

hi,

great info, thanks, just what i was looking for :) ill add ball joints to my list.

vdubster, form what i gather the outer tie rod end is separate, but the inner tie rod end and the tie rod bar itsself are one piece? is this right?

makes sense to replace all perishable parts at once. i think most parts are original on mine so ill get as much done as i can.

ill probably get poly bushes for the wishbone, any make recommended that arnt too harsh on the ride?

also read on here someone was gonna get poly top mounts, is this a bit extreme or worthwhile..? i may just get oem vw ones.

also i assume its best to get oem vw parts on the the metal bits, i guess its safe to get a gfs or equivalent tie rod boots.

whole track rods come with the outer ball joint (TRE), the inner joint is part of the whole rod and screws directly into the end of the rack, boots and rods from somewhere like AVS are fine, but the rods tend to rust up pretty quick compared to genuine VW ones and I don't think they'll last as long as originals. you pays your money...

Yep - this shows what a track rod (with end) looks like - this is a VR (Plus suspension) specific one...

As David says, these non genuine ones are ok but will rust badly in a couple of years making adjustment difficult, I would stick to genuine.

Same goes for the boots - genuine plastic ones last years but the pattern ones seem to perish after 2-3

you could get all that for 200 easy if you shopped about, and do it all in one go like the man says.

do it all and you wont be disapointed + maybe front mount on the motor :clap:

Don't get anything with rubber on it from GSF - the quality is garbage :mad2: 6-12 months max before its perished and disintegrates.

Right I think Im gonna do it all...

What do I need?

Tie rod Left

Tie rod Right

Boots 1H0 422 831 B or 357 422 831 B?

And there seems to be a few clamps and bolts etc - all these need replacing?

From looking at my dodgy copy of ETKA, for the tie rods i have an option of ZF and TRW, from what I understand a late VR6 is a ZF rack?

Yet on ETKA I have 1H0 422 803 A (left) remarks: rhd, TRW model: VR6

1H0 422 803 B (left) remarks: ZF model: VR6

Is there a way on ETKA I can put my reg in and it finds it all for me? :confused4:

Sorry for the thread hi-jack browna!!

Is there a way on ETKA I can put my reg in and it finds it all for me? :confused4:

Not unless you are VW dealership :wink:

Afaik all RHD VR6s have TRW racks. Its only the LHD that had the ZF.

Afaik all RHD VR6s have TRW racks. Its only the LHD that had the ZF.

After doing a quick search I can't find a definitive answer...should I just go for the TRW??

hi all,

one more question before i speak to my garage, just to make sure i know whats goin on.

ive had a look online , but im a bit confused not having done any jobs in this area myself. when you say its best to do the ball joints also, do you mean the wishbone lower ball joints? (as apposed to the tie rod end ones) are there even upper wb ball joints.?

also as im gettin coilovers fitted and replacing the front top mounts, it is nessessary/best to replace the rear top mounts too as its out?

ill have to go back another day to get the rear beam bushes done in the next year, so i could do them then. or even myself. :shock: (obviously not gonna do the rear bushes myself.. eww..)

a thousand thankyous.

yeah, do the bottom wishbone ball joints, and the rear mounts aren't usually a problem (they can break up if old enough) but they do sag and it's not very difficult or exensive to replace all the bits. worth noting that the rear top spring plates often rust really badly, may be worth replacing them.

perfect thanks,

ill get the wishbone ball joints done then, and ill leave the rear mounts as they are unless the mechanic says anything. its a 1995 car so they shouldnt be too bad.

then hopefully it will steer nice and tight and i can get on with tidying her up and get some pics on the go!

hi all,

i have have my car in a local gargae to get the above work done.

here are thier quotes,

replace and fit tie reds and steering gaters- from gsf £125

from vw oem parts £294!!

replace and fit wishbone ball joint and rear bush- from gsf £145

from vw oem parts £212

now that seems a lot for the oem stuff! especially the ball joints and bushes, but they reckon 3hrs labout to press the bushes? does this seem right.

im told them to go for the gsf parts and the r32 bushes.

what do you think

is it worh all that extra for oem parts???

its twice as much £270 vs 500 odd. hmmm

haha,

i just called em back and told em to order the good stuff.

gsf heavy metal work just sounds dodgy.

i underderstand why they tried to pursude you the gsf is just as good.... cos then youll be back in a year to do it all again! lol..

:norty:

hi guys,

i wonder if you can advise me please? im gettin a bit worried/annoyed.

im have the work above done, the garage have just called to say that one of the wishbones front bushes has gone. fair enough.

but they say the front bush only comes with a new wishbone. so i now need to get a new wishbone and front bush just on one side..

does this sound right?? surely they can fit a new bush to the wishbone? or is it common for the wishbone to get damaged around that part?

also is it gonna be ok to get just one wishbone and front bush, and leave the other side with old wishbone, old front bush and a new rear bush? i cant really afford to replace them both as its all adding up fast.

any advise welcomed. many thanks.

sam.

thanks dude, thats confirms what they are saying, that the front bush is part of the wishbone. it wont do any warm to get a new wishbone is suppose.. eeesh.. expensive business. lol :gag:

Sorry but that's rubbish - the Front bush is 357407182 - around £5 from VW

Although I would brand new wishbones maybe a better idea considering age etc.