Sign in to follow this  
Portent

High mileage ok if well maintained?

If a Corrado has evidence of being well maintained then should high mileage be a concern? I'm talking about 160k+ here (obviously that's average for the age, but you know what I mean :))

true but theres also plenty of rados with under 150k being broken!

at the end of the day if its in good condition overall and drives well then anything that does go wrong can be replaced :D

high milage is only a ball ache when it comes to re-sale :gag:

I say as long as its maintained then mileage doesn't (sorry shouldn't matter). If the car has been owned by one or two people then even better. I wouldn't buy a high mileage, many owners as things could have been missed. As you will have read on this forum to be honest with you with our cars a low mileage car could give you the same problems as rubbers etc will still perish with age and technically quicker as they are not being lubed by non running of the car

Mine has 130ish K and 10 owners, and was stored (badly) for 5 years and still seems allright, but I'm getting those little niggles you always seem to get when you become the regular user of a car that's not been run regularly.

Mine has 130ish K and 10 owners, and was stored (badly) for 5 years and still seems allright, but I'm getting those little niggles you always seem to get when you become the regular user of a car that's not been run regularly.

Such as?

I must admit I'm concerned about resale value. But I'm getting the impression my possible purchase might be a good long term car.

What do you mean resale value, if you look at the money our cars are fetching at the moment they could'nt get much cheaper!

What do you mean resale value, if you look at the money our cars are fetching at the moment they could'nt get much cheaper!

Good point so it's only relative. But a lower mileage car will usually sell easier than one that's got around 170k or 180k on the clock.

My VR has done 106k which is quite low for the year and i've thrown money at it over the last year, i'd hate to think what it would be worth if i came to sell it!

mines 1990 got full history and just short of 200k by about 500miles. the body work has quite a few car park dings, more then orginally thought but its nearly 20 years old so it aint gonna be perfect. my saxo which was a 2000'reg and the inner chasis legs were rusted to fook.

as long as it runs well and dont sound like its done a million miles than i wouldnt let it put me off. like some people say it could have less miles and still break. also i would say it depends and how you drive your car, if you nail it everywere its gonna break. i guess some times you need to be lucky.

as above you may well find that cars show soemthing like 190k on the clocks. But if they've had the head rebuilt, the chains done, perhaps a reconditioned block, new bushes & bearings etc all round, good shocks there's not much else to go wrong for a good few years so mileage is perhaps irrelevant. In fact it would be a better buy than say a lower milegae car that hasnt had any of these areas addressed. Just a thought.

as above you may well find that cars show soemthing like 190k on the clocks. But if they've had the head rebuilt, the chains done, perhaps a reconditioned block, new bushes & bearings etc all round, good shocks there's not much else to go wrong for a good few years so mileage is perhaps irrelevant. In fact it would be a better buy than say a lower milegae car that hasnt had any of these areas addressed. Just a thought.

The one I'm considering is 170k and hasn't had any of the engine work mentioned above done. But generally feels a good car, same owner for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrs, etc. I'd have bought it by now if it weren't for a left-field issue making me reconsider a second car.

Such as?

I must admit I'm concerned about resale value. But I'm getting the impression my possible purchase might be a good long term car.

Just the odd hose that's perishing, and some slight oil seepage from the rocker gasket and a clattery pulley, some brake issues, stuff that would've been sorted if it was somebody's daily I should imagine, nothing really worry worthy really, just an excuse to get handy with the socket set I treated myself to at christmas :p

The one I'm considering is 170k and hasn't had any of the engine work mentioned above done. But generally feels a good car, same owner for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrs, etc. I'd have bought it by now if it weren't for a left-field issue making me reconsider a second car.

are you prepared to spend £2-3k on it in the next 2 years if necessary? if not then its either too expensive now or its not worth it..

My VR6 was hardly driven for a few years before I bought it, and it had all sorts of niggles to start with, including completely seized brakes etc. A well looked after, lightly driven example can be far better than a low miler in my book.

:)

If you're buying as a weekend car a well looked after high mileage C is a fine car, if you need a reliable daily driver forget it.

I don't own one anymore but ran a 16v as a daily from 140K to 195K miles over 4 years and it cost me an absolute fortune, mine was looked after meticulously but still had bills totalling over £5K for the last two years / 30K miles alone. When a car gets to that age/mileage every single part has reached the end of its expected lifespan and will need replacing sooner rather than later.

Trust me, just when you think everthing is fine a hose will go, or the starter motor will pack up, or the fuel pump will die, there's always something about to fail.

I sold mine and it was sadly written off a few weeks later because a bonnet pin or something failed and the bonnet flew open on the motorway :(