Sign in to follow this  
mimjed

how hard to change complete wishbone?

as per title really.

bushes are worn, ball joints on the way out. ive found a new pair with bushes /ball joints installed.

so thinking about pulling the whole lot out and replacing. ball ache or not? any special tools?

cheers jim

just a case of undoing the nuts and bolts,then splitting the ball joint from the hub.worth getting new bolts

yeah your right, but i can get them for free from work.

i just got the bolts for the vr6 inlet manifold from the dealers and they cost £6 odd and at least i know they are the correct ones !

just twigged, do i need a proper tool for the ball joint or can it be done without?

i know there are different types

No, the ball joint just drops out of the hub (held in by a pinch bolt)

As above buy all new bolts from VAG inc ones for the BJ - you won't be able to find the exact right spec ones elsewhere...

You'll need the camber setup afterwards too.

Is this for a VR6 or 4cyl?

Vr6 I believe you have to jack the engine up out the way as the sump is in the way of one of the bolts.

Duh just noticed G60 in your sig so you won't have that problem.

well the bolt for the ball joint is well and truly stuck, (would be because its the last one) ordered some irwins now.

but while i was there i found a big old split in the steering rack gaiter, looks the same on nearside to. doh!

have cut the old one out, new ones on the way. how do i get the arm out though?

18032010205.jpg[/attachment:123xoo76]

do i give it a good wack upwards or do i go for it at the ball joint end?

yeah i could have done but still need to get the bolt out of the hub to put the new ball joint in.

would have bought both in an ideal world.

well the bolt for the ball joint is well and truly stuck, (would be because its the last one) ordered some irwins now.

but while i was there i found a big old split in the steering rack gaiter, looks the same on nearside to. doh!

have cut the old one out, new ones on the way. how do i get the arm out though?

18032010205.jpg[/attachment:lkq03unc]

do i give it a good wack upwards or do i go for it at the ball joint end?

If it's the thing on the pic you strugle to get out - and don't have a tool like the one I showed - you might be able to somehow "lock" the wheel-hub thingy it sits in, and maybe use a jack on the joint it selfe to get it out?.

I would def work it out from underneath I think.

The thing in the picture is the track rod end and the "bolt" is part of the whole track rod end. It sits in a tapered seat and won't just pull out. A seerator like the one Mawrick suggests would be ideal to remove it. If you try to hammer it out from underneath you may spread the bolt and land yourself in another heap of trouble. It is possible to shock them out by giving the end of the steering arm a whack with a heavy hammer but personally I don't like that method.

Track rod ends are easy when you know how, just requires 2 heavy hammers, hold one firmly against one side & give the opposite side a sharp tap with the other, taper end will fall out.

Works every time :shock:

Mick

Track rod ends are easy when you know how, just requires 2 heavy hammers, hold one firmly against one side & give the opposite side a sharp tap with the other, taper end will fall out.

Works every time :shock:

Mick

so your saying do the work on the top side of it. would a crow bar work as the holding part?

i only have one big hammer :( my favourite tool as well

also known as the birmingham spanner