Sign in to follow this  
scoobygolf

hub change

ok thinking of changing my hubs from 4x100 to 5x100 as im seeing nicer rims to fit and more adaptors about in 5x100 to etc etc rather than 4x100 to etc etc, is ths an easy thing to do? whats involved?

cheers

The rear should be the easy bit, although you'll need to check the 4x100 discs are the same size as the 5x100 (I am not sure). If they are then cool, if not then you'll need new carriers & calipers I would assume.

The fronts are going to be harder as you will have to remove the hubs from the housings, which is not easy without a press. While you are there I would advise changing the bearings if they haven't been changed recently, use VAG ones, they are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

You will obviously need new discs/pads for the front to suit, again check the sizes compared to your 4x100, otherwise you will need new calipers/carriers also.

Good luck!

yea it's finding em tho mate, 4x100 to 5x120 is imposible!

ah thought you were wanting 4 x 100 to 5 x 100

Yeah me too..

I do have a housing complete with bearing and 5x100 hub, if you can find another then'll that will make the job easier.

rear brakes dead simple, new bearings new 5 hole brakes.

front involves more work, new cv join/driveshaft swap may be needed due to the number of splines in the hub. easiest way is to swap the hubs in the hub carrier, but the option of changing the whole hub carrier is another way of doing it however this would invovle new wishbones due to the different ball joints needed.

Im doing this at the mo buddy, look here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=90162 MASSIVE BIG FAT THANK YOU TO MIKKIJAYNE im using mk3 golf

calipers

carriers

cv joint

disc+pads Ft+rr

Hub(press mk3 hub in to rado hub carrier)

roberts your mothers brother. :D

(like i say mikkijayne to thank here)