Sign in to follow this  
jma

Fitting new stereo

Hi

I have taken my old tape stereo out and would like to fit a Kenwood Unit. I have connected the existing to leads to my new kenwood unit but it does not work. Do i need to purchase a set of adapters? :scratch:

Thanks

if they're the existing leads in the rado then they are standard iso leads, did your old stereo work before you removed it? Have you checked the fuse on the back of the new stereo, its also possible that you need to change the 12v+ and the ignition lead over as i had to in mine as the kenwood might need them the other way around, does the kenwood have its own lead, if so it should come with some bullet connectors and you can just swap the red and yellow ones over, then try that

In the Rado, they're standard ISO connectors but not wired according to the standard! VW's swap the switched and permanent live over in the connector for some reason.

The code is as follows:

Red - Permanent live

Brown - Ground/negative

Brown/Red - Switched live (ignition)

Grey/Blue - Instrument panel lighting

Blue/White - Speed signal for automatic volume

Don't connnect the blue/white one to anything or allow it to short to the body as it'll stop the spoiler working.

In the Rado, they're standard ISO connectors but not wired according to the standard! VW's swap the switched and permanent live over in the connector for some reason.

The code is as follows:

Red - Permanent live

Brown - Ground/negative

Don't connnect the blue/white one to anything or allow it to short to the body as it'll stop the spoiler working.

I will try this, it may be the reason why my spoiler is not working. :scratch:

Beware the12volt.com, their corrado wiring is wrong. The colours I described above are taken from the manual for my 91 G60, but apply to all C's later than that. (they may be the same for earlier ones but I've not pulled one to bits...)

The code is as follows:

Red - Permanent live

Brown - Ground/negative

I will try this, it may be the reason why my spoiler is not working. :scratch:

Ah, the old "my stereo is on so my spoiler doesn't work" problem!

The "Gala" (road speed-based volume control) system is mis wired as well. Snip the blue lead for your electric aeriel as well, and low and behold your spoiler will work again just like magic* :)

According to Steve Cresswell (of C&R fame, aka the Brain from Golf+ magazine), the road speed sensor that is triggering your spoiler is getting a duff signal from your stereo, which is essentially telling your spoiler that your stationary. I'm paraphrasing, and he used lots of books and pictures to explain. I snipped mine and it now works fine (after tracing the blue aerial lead back to the correct part of the fuse box he described, just to assure myself he was correct - he was).

Good luck!

Chris

*assuming your spoiler worked anyway and wasn't seized, cooked or full of wet fish.