Sign in to follow this  
mimjed

just had 4 wheel allignment

and now my car pulls to the left???

not majorily, but it didnt do it before. should i take it back?

and also they said there is no way to adjust the rear wheels as its on a beam, but charged me for the adjustment anyway.....cheers

They charged you to adjust the rear despite them being unadjustable - terrible. Def take it back mate, unless something is wrong which causes the car to pull to the left - this should have been spotted whilst doing the alignment by the way, then they've done something wrong.

yeah i figured that :lol:

but what bulls*it excuse will they some up with to say its done as best as they can do it? how do i argue my point with them so to speak?

They charged you to adjust the rear despite them being unadjustable - terrible. Def take it back mate, unless something is wrong which causes the car to pull to the left - this should have been spotted whilst doing the alignment by the way, then they've done something wrong.

Someone wiser than me can confirm this but I believe you can get minimal adjustment on the rear via the beam to body mounts.

yeah i figured that :lol:

but what bulls*it excuse will they some up with to say its done as best as they can do it? how do i argue my point with them so to speak?

:lol: sorry did i state the blooming obvious there :wave:

Course you can adjust the rear. :lol:

Take it back, ask for all your money back and go somewhere else, quick.

by 4 wheel alignment, what they mean is they aligned the front wheels to the rear, i.e. so it doesn't 'crab' down the road.

I think it's just terminology, did they provide a report with the settings on? If the camber is slightly off on one side it will tend to pull, even if the 'alignment' is correct, also, your tyres may be worn to the old 'misaligned' setup and may now be pulling a little due to the uneven wear on them.

Course you can adjust the rear.

not without taking the hubs off and shimming or unbolting and moving beam and or bushes, none of that is easily done or covered under the usual time/rate for wheel alignment, and in any case if is that bad then there's a major problem somewhere, bent beam etc...

i was paying them to adjust camber and tracking. the printout of before and after confirms this is what they have changed.

the rear wheels point out, so to speak but the fronts are now fairly spot on according to the print out.

looks fine apart from the camber on the rear +ve on one side -ve on the other, could you have a knackered beam bush on one side?

sounds like a plausable explanation. i will have a good poke round on thursday.

i presume they are fairly simple to change as the rear beam is easy enough to remove completely. anything i should be aware of?

sounds like a plausable explanation. i will have a good poke round on thursday.

i presume they are fairly simple to change as the rear beam is easy enough to remove completely. anything i should be aware of?

No not really :)

There are various things you need to do to ensure the rear beam bushes are fitted correctly, they need to have the wedge shape facing forwardsm pushing them in and out is a pain without the right tools and you also need to pre-load the bushes laterally when refitting the beam.

yeah i know a bit about it. i found this page pretty useful for info;

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1980960

not sure how bad my rear brake lines are under all the grease - thats the main thing im worried about really cant be bothered with replacing them.

id rather live with a slight pull to the left :lol:

just had my tracking, ballancing and alignment done...... pulls slightly to the left as well.... and it shakes between 50-60mph... i took it back and they done it again but problem still there?? wtf is up with that??

just had my tracking, ballancing and alignment done...... pulls slightly to the left as well.... and it shakes between 50-60mph... i took it back and they done it again but problem still there?? wtf is up with that??

Was that camber, caster as well as toe or did they just do toe? Most camber and caster places will give you a print out of before and after so you can see how shocking it was.

If you are still using the same set of tyres then if it was badly set-up before you might have worn the tyres unevenly, this can cause vibrations and pulling, try swaping the front and back tyres over.

they did the camber toe the lot, tires are brand new, just had new wishbones fitted.. powerflex bushes all round.. but still???

Lion? where did you go to get it done? Try Eurotyres behind ECP and see Jez. Tell him that Hasan with the Corrado sent you - he'll sort you out.

been there before but had problems, went to wembley tires near collage of nwlondon in wilsden

I know it's probably galling (and not cheap) but go to the stealers. Ihad a sh*tload of work done on mine recently including geometry and alignment. I can whack the anchors on now and it stays perfectly straight. What are your top mounts like BTW?

Had a Golf Mk2 Gti that was in a bad way after having lots of suspension components renewed - one of the front tyres had become bald in several weeks it was so bad.

I went to a local VAG dealer who had just got the most up to date computerised alignment equipment (this was a few years back). They even showed me the thing in the workshop and explained the printout. What a transformation - the car became brilliant to drive.

Did cost a bit, though, ( > £100 about 9 years ago) but I always reckoned it was worth having a VAG done by people who know about VAG, in that case.