Sign in to follow this  
Tattie

Best programs for burning MP3s

Hi folks,

now back after my 2 months away and bought my new head unit and multi-changer. Alpine 9813R and CHA-634.

I'm now experimenting with MP3s and trying out various programs to burn them. At the mo I've got Nero and the Windows Media Player with MP3 add in. Just tried my first disk using media player - it recorded them in WMA format even though they are recorded in MP3 format. Ths will work in the head unit but not in the multi-changer (MP3 only).

So what do you guys recommend using? I want to be able to increase/decrease bit rate/ size of file before burning them to disk.

cheers folks

ps. Any tips for using the Alpine head unit?

Nero is the best IMO, thats what everyone uses, and for a reason :)

What version of Nero ya using? The new version 6 is fantastic & will work with most recorders. Obviously the faster the recorder the better. :wink:

I'm still using %, and have no problems with it, but i'll d/l 6 and see what its like :)

I've got Nero version 5.5.9.14 installed (OEM version) but I've also got 5.572 disk.

As for the actaul recording of music CDs do you use media player to record them then Nero to burn them. If so can you alter the MP3 compression ratio with Nero or do you have to do it all in media player.

i.e. I've used media player to record the music at best quality and then used it to burn at a lower compression ratio, WMA only though.

If you're ripping CDs to MP3, try CDEX... It's shareware and it's fantastic! 8) http://www.cdex.n3.net/

For the burning, use Nero 6 (which has the added advantage of being able to burn DVDs as well if you get a DVDRW! :wink: )

If your mp3 encoder supports it, definitely use VBR (variable bit rate). mp3 files can sound pretty awful, but vbr seems to allow them room to create reasonable results. Also make sure your in-car unit plays VBR files as many won't.

My vote goes to Nero, i've used it for ages and it does the job perfectly well. TBH i've never trusted winXP's built in CD burning abilities....

Dazzyvr6 - go mp3 if you can, saves you loads of space in the glovebox :mrgreen: I've got a pioneer mp-somethingorother and its the mutts nuts! sound quality is SO much btter than my old sony unit and the range of options for setting up the sound is outstanding.

I've got a pioneer mp-somethingorother and its the mutts nuts! sound quality is SO much btter than my old sony unit and the range of options for setting up the sound is outstanding.

I take it that you like it then Chris!

Yeah the Pioneer ones are nice.

They just updated the P7400MP (which I used to have and I know Tom has) with the P7500MP. You can get it for 250 of your english pounds from places like Cel Direct - MP3 support, so many sound customisation options, and a fantastic design. Not only that but it has customisable Organic EL - so you can capture your own videos and upload them to the headunit somehow, so you could have a video of a Corrado or something playing on the OEL display.

Trick!! :)