Sign in to follow this  
rajarella

Aygo clutch

After 20k miles the clutch on my missus Aygo has decided to give up the ghost :cry: . I booked it into a local garage this morning and they have quoted £410 for a replacement and fitting. We are getting married next month so money is a bit tight and I have decided to have a crack myself. Does anyone know if it is a difficult job or have any tips/pointers for me?

Cheers

Rich

As long as you have a decent tool kit, axle stands, and you'd probably need the correct clutch alignment tool then I cant see it being to hard.

Once you've got under it and taken the drives shafts off the diff as long as you can see/get to all the gearbox bolts easy enough then it should be a walk in the park. I'm no Aygo expert though so everything I've just said might be completely wrong :)

I've had a go at the clutch on just about all the cars I've owned and a few of my mates cars too...

By and large, it's a gearbox out job, and, as stated above, a clutch alignment tool to line it all up again before putting the clutch back on... some cars (like the M plate Astra I briefly had) had an inspection plate for the clutch, so changing the clutch was a case of undoing the end plate of the gearbox, pulling the input shaft out a bit and then the old clutch would fall out... nice'n'easy!

Is there a Haynes [strike:gcq1ltnt]book of lies[/strike:gcq1ltnt] manual available for the Aygo yet? They normally give a pretty good guide to how to change the clutch... 8)

*edit* no Haynes for the Aygo yet... but the Toyota forums (don't ask, the in-laws have a Starlet...) say that there's an on-line one HERE once you register on the site... 8)

same as the baby citroens (C1?) aren't they? if you can't get info on the Toyota.

Yeah and the pug 107, seems like the clutch is a weakness on all of them but struggling to get info on how to change it. Everyone seems to have just paid out for theirs to be sorted by the dealer.

How can little car like the Aygo command such a whopping price for a clutch? It can't be any bigger than a saucer, surely? :D

And is that 20K miles since brand new? WTF? Surely covered under warranty?

If it makes you feel any better, our 48K old Polo Gti snapped it's front offside spring last Friday. To replace that, carry out a "Longlife service 2" and replace the cambelt cost £750 :(

The spring was £43 and the belt was £24 :roll:

How can little car like the Aygo command such a whopping price for a clutch? It can't be any bigger than a saucer, surely? :D

And is that 20K miles since brand new? WTF? Surely covered under warranty?

If it makes you feel any better, our 48K old Polo Gti snapped it's front offside spring last Friday. To replace that, carry out a "Longlife service 2" and replace the cambelt cost £750 :(

The spring was £43 and the belt was £24 :roll:

I know it is shocking isn't it! I phoned Toyota about the warranty, it runs until 30k miles or 3 years which ever come sooner. Although it has only done 20k since new it was registered in 2006 so thats where the warranty has run out.

I got a quote from Toyota for the work and they wanted £558! It is amazing really, people always moan about the cost of corrado parts but a lot of that is down to limited supply. I am sure the motoring world is awash with parts for these crappy little city cars and they still charge astronomical prices! :censored:

Ah Bummer you missed out on the warranty :( 20K clutch life is horrendously bad for a car made in the 21st Century, and it's a Toyota aswell. Starting to wonder about them now. Also read on a different forum allegations of Honda fabricating the "No VTECs have ever failed" myth to disguise the fact several have.

Anyway, £558 is absolutely criminal and you're right, a lot of the Corrado parts are actually cheap compared to some other brands!

think yourself lucky it hasn't got a dual mass flywheel, they seem to go left right and centre and are fitted to a lot of petrols now as well as oil burners, generally a replacement that is specified when the clutch has to be done, if they don't go before that is :roll:

plenty of people get bills over a grand for clutch/flywheel jobs now and on your average family car :shock:

plenty of people get bills over a grand for clutch/flywheel jobs now and on your average family car :shock:

think yourself lucky it hasn't got a dual mass flywheel, they seem to go left right and centre and are fitted to a lot of petrols now as well as oil burners, generally a replacement that is specified when the clutch has to be done, if they don't go before that is :roll:

It is amazing how people can afford to do it, especially when times are tight like they are now. Just looked on ebay and there are new clutches around the £100 mark. One of the sellers even describes how Toyota are aware of the problem and the replacement clutch is 190mm rather than the original 180mm.

well our yaris has had a notchy gearshift since we bought it and they've never got to the bottom of it. The Yaris forum is useless and they usual excuses toyota came up with were because the foot mat was stopping the clutch pedal. Eh? So i wouldnt really expect any kind of support from the dealers, tbh.