Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

Sticky rear caliper

Ah the dreaded baltic conditions ahve got to my pride and joy, the passenger side rear caliper has decided it loves Mr discy and does want to stop huggin him :lol: I got to work and thought the car stopped rather easilly got out and recognised the stench straight away, just passenger side tho drivers side is all good, will have a better look in the morn or saturady, Any tips to end mr discy and mrs calipers love affair?

Cheers Guys

Rossco

mine does the same..but on the drivers side..when i park on the flat for any amount of time i leave the handbrake off,but in time i will put new calipers on

It could be water/damp in the cable which has frozen and stopped the cable releasing. It may fix itself if you thaw out, ever! Ultimately, dodgy calipers never fix themselves and the continuous hassle is best bypassed by fitting new ones. IMHHHHHHHO

Gavin

Even a slightly sticky rear caliper can cost you enough in petrol (and pads/disks) that it pays to replace it - in a few thousand miles...

Best price I found was actually VW - they can supply refurbished ones. "New" price is huge - about £120 each, but refurbed is only £60 each or so.

This is one of those common Corrado problems. I used to get the exact same thing as dazzyvr6 had on my 16v.

Isn't it the MK3 or MK4 golf calipers that are basically a straight swap for Corrado ones, and aren't too horrendously priced either?

From what I've heard the Mk3s also seize, but are cheap and last longer than the mk2s. Late model Corrados already had mk3 golf calipers.

Mk4 golf calipers do fit straight on the rear carrier assembly, but require conversion brake lines to be fitted, as they have a different connection. They are expensive though - but apparently are the best yet when it comes to NOT seizing (due to being alloy and not rusting).

The thing is all my brakes were replaced last year

4xNew calipers

4xNew discs

4xNew Carriers

And 4 new sets of pads

So fuck knows how there stuck on

Well the latest on the love affair is that they have broken up :( , Bad day for them, good day for me. I jacked the car up both back wheels were spinnin, chucked on some WD40 just to be sure, drove to college and there was no stinky smells and no roastin calipers. All good you say, well yes but my handbrake has a lot of slack in it, could it just be that my cables have streched?

It could be water/damp in the cable which has frozen and stopped the cable releasing. It may fix itself if you thaw out, ever!

All good you say, well yes but my handbrake has a lot of slack in it, could it just be that my cables have streched?

New cables are in order i think. about £10 each.

Harry, I just read in another thread that you've not adjusted the brake load bias valve and your car is -120mm! That'll be part of the reason why your rear brakes are shot then.... :roll: :|