Sign in to follow this  
corrado_sunderland

anyone else looked at the new elise 1.6 its a joke

im a big fan of elise's as my brother has owned 2 and i loved driving them but the new one is just pure sh*te, a 1.6 with poor bhp and a crappy v-tec style of power delivery, slower 0-60 and emmisions of a kitten farting (its a lotus not a bloody prious). And girly extra's :nono: . Im going to get an s1 later in year and im glad there a real car as oppose to this gurly little unit. It just makes me mad how a wonderful pretty piece of british heritage is beggining to loose its way because a modern day twat in a suit wants to drive it :mad2:

anyone else noticed this :|

I went out last week in the new one, didnt think it was too bad for 1.6, I think they're trying to attract a different market by using the 1.6 and to help with the euro5 emissions laws. the 1.8 supercharge looks good though :D Lotus will be bringing out 2 more models next year.

I went out last week in the new one, didnt think it was too bad for 1.6, I think they're trying to attract a different market by using the 1.6 and to help with the euro5 emissions laws. the 1.8 supercharge looks good though :D Lotus will be bringing out 2 more models next year.

yeah a charged addition would be good but that 1.6 edition is like howay all your mx5 lovin fairies, come and get it while its hot :lol: it damages there reputation in my opinion sadly :|

1.8 supercharged? As the french knight in monty Python said, 'I already got one!' :D

what i wanna know is why the engines are not getting anymore powerful, even the vx220 has a better power plant and its a vauxhall for gods sake :lol: , even a 1.8s is still nothing new, alot of people charge the 1800vvc k series lump anyway, i hope they make up for it with a good exige, me bro has talked thw wife into him getting one so cant wait to get a go in an s2 exige :D

Every magazine that has tested it reckon its still the purest Lotus on sale. Power is identical to the old 1.8 Toyota lump, emissions are down, economy is improved, six speed box as standard. I'd hardly call 0-60 in 6 secs slow.

/\/\/\ it's not great for such a light little car to be fair,although outright pace isn't really what they are all about.

A friend of mine test drove a charged elise as he was thinking of doing the same for his exige.He said it was the "fastest thing he had ever driven,but it ruined the character of the car"

Different strokes..

Every magazine that has tested it reckon its still the purest Lotus on sale. Power is identical to the old 1.8 Toyota lump, emissions are down, economy is improved, six speed box as standard. I'd hardly call 0-60 in 6 secs slow.

pistonheads review said it drove nice but lacked power compared to old elise massively at low revs and by the time it came in its was at redline and too late sounds my like a jap crap runner than a decent torquey little car like the older models the cars have no top speed at all so needs a solid power delivery or what the point in having it, 6 secounds is pretty pants really for a car that light and it even weighs more than the old one too...

:?

Elise was never about straight line speed anyhow,

It is about feel good factor,ive driven all types of Elise from K series to Audi to Honda K20A Supercharged on road and track and all of them no matter what the power output have put a smile on my face.

A light high reving engine is what the Elise is about imho and i like the idea of having to work a car like that hard to get the best from it, at least with a engine that is not stupidly powerful your not going to be going stupid speeds which lets face it is just asking for trouble on the roads today.

Weight is an issue but its a case of supply and demand, if Lotus want to survive they have to make the car more attractive to a broader spectrum and if that means they have to cater for the softer driver who wants air con then if that means the co. stays profitable and keeps going then thats all good in my book...

It is about feel good factor,ive driven all types of Elise from K series to Audi to Honda K20A Supercharged on road and track and all of them no matter what the power output have put a smile on my face.

A light high reving engine is what the Elise is about imho and i like the idea of having to work a car like that hard to get the best from it, at least with a engine that is not stupidly powerful your not going to be going stupid speeds which lets face it is just asking for trouble on the roads today.

Weight is an issue but its a case of supply and demand, if Lotus want to survive they have to make the car more attractive to a broader spectrum and if that means they have to cater for the softer driver who wants air con then if that means the co. stays profitable and keeps going then thats all good in my book...

i see what ya mean but i think it should be illegal to release a new car with less power that its previous, elise's are fun but always just had enough power never too much, any less and its just a glorified mx5 to me sadly :(

As Andy says, it puts out the same power as the outgoing 1.8 and gives better economy and emissions to boot. I don't understand what's not to like.

i see what ya mean but i think it should be illegal to release a new car with less power that its previous, elise's are fun but always just had enough power never too much, any less and its just a glorified mx5 to me sadly :(

I can kindof see it both ways- yes the company has to do what will make money, but it is sad to see a newer model take a step down from it's predecessor. I always thought that about the RX-7 and RX-8. Why would you go out and buy a new RX-8, when you could get a more powerful and quicker (and generally cooler) RX-7 for far less money?!

I can kindof see it both ways- yes the company has to do what will make money, but it is sad to see a newer model take a step down from it's predecessor. I always thought that about the RX-7 and RX-8. Why would you go out and buy a new RX-8, when you could get a more powerful and quicker (and generally cooler) RX-7 for far less money?!

exactly i hate rx8's :lol:

fookin expensive on parts for one. over £500 for a new rear windscreen, the you need it shipped here. (and that was a few years ago)

but agreed rx8 wasnt thought out very well. dealer parts/servicing for them is a nightmare. they only have a "special team" of mechanics to work on the wankle's.

have to run them for at least 5 mins everytime you start them or they flood them selves.