Sign in to follow this  
jumboVR6

mpg rediculous!

help me please!!!!!..... i took my vr6 off the road for a bit because it didnt feel like it was running right and the mpg was sky high... in the morning it smokes quite a lot... a slight lack of power(although not like im running on five) it has trouble firing when cold, and the mpg on the dash is 15 if im very careful with my toe....(and ive checked its not the comp playin up)... all ive done since is change the plugs which has improved it slightly, but is still far from 100%... im hoping there is something i can do before i get it sorted via my local..... PLEASE HELP!!! :(

When you say smokes in the morning, could it be just condensation - is it white not black? Does it go once that car is warmed up.

If not and its black not white, then it could be running rich. A common area to check is the Lambda wiring, check its not broken as ive seen this happen a few times to peeps on here, as well as myself in the past. If you look down behind the engine bay, just next to the drivers suspension turrent - under the air intake pipe, thats where the wiring is for the Lambda on to the ecu loom.

Even if the wiring is all ok, the lambda could still be duff. You had it VAGCOM'd yet?

nobodys looked at it yet.... had a new lambda sensor on last mot 3 months ago but ill still check the wiring... it does go away when its warm... but the mpg is my biggest worry....

no mate.... that was approx what i was gettin before the probs..... short trips...work etc... 15 - 19.... goin to wales or something.... 27 -30.... now im just tryin to breathe on the throttle to save fuel!!!

does it get up to temperature (water) ok? If not, might be worth changing the thermostat as it may be stuck open. This will keep the ecu in the 'warm up' mode for longer using a lot more fuel. May also be an issue with the yeelow temp sender (yellow or blue, cant remember which one sends the signal to the ecu)

If its just when its cold, it could be the blue temp sensor, it controls the map when the car is cold and is known to be at fault sometimes when getting low mpg at startup

Read somewhere on this forum recently that if the cam position sensor on the VR6 goes faulty the ECU will default to limp home mode which reduces power by approx 30BHP & uses a richer map to protect the engine hence very poor MPG. If the temp sensor/thermostat are ok then this may be worth checking.

Dont ask me where it is or how to check it, Ive never been the proud owner of a VR6, but I'm sure some helpful person on here would be able to point you in the right direction.

Mick G60

You need to get VAG-Com on it. That will tell you if the Cam position sensor is faulty and if the blue temp sensor is funked. As said before if the blue temp sensor is reading a low temp (i.e. engine coolant is cold), then it will attempt to compensate with warm-up enrichment, and privide more fuel. If it is faulty it will potentially read low for longer, and thus wind in a funk load more fuel.