Laser Mark

Flash Red Rado

Yeah sure I'll sort something out over the next couple of days and let you know.

I want to have a chat with Dave16v as he's been helping out with masking off, and obviously I don't want to charge too much.

Will you be stripping the calipers and carriers down yourself and removing the bearings? Or would you want that doing as part of the quote?

Nice thread...

Laser Mark - Do you offer shot blasting and powder coating as a service...I may need some parts doing in the future ?

RIght, spoke with my boss and I'm unable to do any work on other poeples cars.

Really sorry about that.

Update 29/11/10

Only managed to get the bushes in today and get the brackets back on.

Dave stripped the front calipers down on Friday so they are ready to go in the shot blaster tomorrow.

The tool I made to remove the bushes doesn't work too well putting the new ones in. Really thought that I'd have to take it to the garage to have them pressed in.

I just couldn't think of a way to do it, then one of the lads had an idea! :notworthy:

Corrado92.pdfphoto20.JPG[/attachment:2ruflfkz]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfphoto21.JPG[/attachment:2ruflfkz]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfphoto22.JPG[/attachment:2ruflfkz]

And after reassembly, ready to take home and keep in the spare room until it gets warmer!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfphoto23.JPG[/attachment:2ruflfkz]

photo24.JPG[/attachment:2ruflfkz]

With it being the last day of work, it was time to bring everything home that I've been working on.

So I thought I'd take a few pics.

Firstly, the exhaust, looking at it while it was on the car I thougth it could do with a bit of a clean. :cuckoo:

Think I may have got carried away, here it is 4 hours after being on a polishing mop! :clap:

Don't think it's going to stay that clean for long! :(

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfphoto25.JPG[/attachment:2dzn84sm]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfphoto26.JPG[/attachment:2dzn84sm]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfphoto27.JPG[/attachment:2dzn84sm]

The complete rear beam and tank straps.

photo28.JPG[/attachment:2dzn84sm]

First time I've seen a sheet metal bending machine used for pressing beam bushes in..... top marks for lateral thinking.... it's a big press at the end of the day :D

Love the exhaust too! Shiney 8)

Been a while since I updated this, but alot has been going on.

I've installed the rear beam and the calipers and carriers, I've also been and had new hard lines made up to go with the braided hoses which eventually arrived (only took 4 weeks)

The bracket which holds the brake pipe just before the rear caliper was broken on both sides and the only thing holding it in place was the rust and grime on the beam, so I set about making some nice shiny stainless ones. (Thanks Dave for the help) While I was at it I changed the bolts which hold the tank straps on, for Stainless ones.

Not been able to take many photos as i've been covered in brake fluid and the such like.

Currently having some running problems, sometimes it idles, but most of the time it splutter and then stalls. That is also on the agenda for tomorrow, I've borrowed a throttle body so going to swap them over and see if that improves the situation.

The car is going to be washed tomorrow so I'm hoping to get a few more, better pictures.

Thanks, not thought about the fuel filter to be honest. It seems to be running a little better now some of the crap fuel has been draw through, but still low on the idle.

So yesterday was spent getting it back on the road, here is a picture of the new hard lines

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46129[/ATTACH]

Before I started on the Corrado I first had to clean the golf, which ended up looking like this, much better now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46128[/ATTACH]

Then it was onto the Corrado, as it was nice, and being as I've spent a considerable amount of time under the car laterly I decided to see how the underside would clean up. Having never tryed this before, I just went at it with a brush, some soapy water and a lot of elbow grease. For the first go, I dont think it turned out too bad.

From this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46127[/ATTACH]

To this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46130[/ATTACH]

Next weekend, if the weather is good, I'll have another go. And see if I can get it any better.

Also been out for a drive in it, took it for a blast up the motorway, and I must say, I smiled all the way!

Been a while since I updated this. So here's a few new bits.

I was loaned a machine polisher a few weeks ago so thought that I'd give the car a good going over as it hadn't had a good clean so far this year. So the car was washed and then shipped to my sisters where I had the use of her garage for a few weeks.

So first it had a good couple of hours under a clay bar, did top to bottom twice for good measure and was surprised at the amount of crap it shifted.

I then masked off at the plastic with some 3M detail tape, I was surprised how much abuse it would take from the polisher.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48487[/ATTACH]

I gave it the once over with each of the 3, 3M cutting compounds and then dragged it out the garage and gave it a wash to clear off all the polish, which had gone everywhere! I think I was using a little too much compound. So after a good wash and dry, I rolled it back into the garage and got the polish out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48486[/ATTACH]

1 coat of Meguires step 2, Deep Gloss Carnauba polish, applied this by hand using a form applicator and allowed to dry before buffing off with microfibres.

After the Meguires I applied a coat of Autoglym SRP, and then went to work on the plastics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48490[/ATTACH]

The car was then subjected to a coat of Meguiars NXT generation wax. By which time I was wishing I'd never had started. :bonk:

The wheels came off and where also subjected to polish and lacqure before going back on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48491[/ATTACH]

Here is a pic of the car at Shelsey Walsh National Day :shades:, I must admit,I was pretty chuffed with the result. Espically when someone asked me when I'd had it resprayed!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48492[/ATTACH]

A surprising reward for all the effort. Show and shine winner!! Still can't believe it..:cheers:

Well that was the other week, since then I've been and ordered loads of new nuts and bolts for the front end as I have a spare blasted and powder coated ready to replace the one currently on. The picture shows only some of the bits so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48488[/ATTACH]

And tonight my new TT aero wipers and arms arrived... A bargain at £43 posted! So they where fitted straight away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48489[/ATTACH]

More updates will follow when the front end is swapped in the next couple of weeks.

I have been considering getting a Kestrel machine to do the same to mine. But then the damned thing stalls on me when turning on to my driveway (so no brakes and power steering) and I think I might need to spend money elsewhere!

Top work!

Popped to the dealers on the way home today and picked up more new bits....... Hopefully that should be it!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48533[/ATTACH]

35 quids worth of bolts and a few nuts!

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Well after nearly 6 months sat on the drive at my folks I went over today and dropped the battery back in after taking it out when I parked it up and keeping it charged at home.

1 gallon of good stuff from Sainsbury's and a bottle of redex, and after a few minutes she fired up. :clap:

It seems the months of hibernation have been kind and so far the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the central locking on the boot!

After letting it idle for 5-10 minutes and waiting for the engine to come up to temp, I tentatively drove it off the drive and did a few trips up and down the road to clear of the rust from the brakes.

So next on the list of things to do, sort insurance as that's due to end soon. Get some tax and give it a bloody good wash and its done!

I can't believe that even just driving it up and down the road has put a huge smile on my face :grin:

Check the boot lock key position. It's possible to lock it such that the central locking won't open it :)

Check the boot lock key position. It's possible to lock it such that the central locking won't open it :)

Thanks, had a play around with it on Sunday and it seems to be working again now.

Right, thought I'd resurrect this thread as its been a while and there is a lot going to happen in the next week or so.

Last weekend I spent some time at Purple Tom's helping strip the breaker he currently has, part of the reason for helping is that I've brought the engine.

The other reason is that I went to collect all the bits which Tom has asked me to blast and paint.

This week I've been busy making sure I have everything ready for next week, I think the only thing I have left to get are new seal kits for the front 288's and a set of braided lines.

The slam panel is being painted this week and should be ready early next week, and I have 2 box's of bits at work and another at home. So hopefully that should be everything.

Will try and keep this updated daily with a few pictures.

Edited by Laser Mark

So at 9am this morning I arrived at Tom's eager to start the engine conversion.

Our plan was to have the engine out by the end of the day, and be some way along with getting the wiring loom out.

Tom made a start on removing the dash, we could have left it in but I'm changing out my heater matrix while I have the chance plus it does make it easier.

I'm glad Tom has taken this job as I have no idea what goes where and would have ended up with a pile of wires on the floor that should have been in the car.

My job was to remove the engine. Now, just to put into perspective how little knowledge I have in this department, the only thing I've removed is the inlet and cam cover. And that was under supervision....

All in all, I think I did ok. I just hope I don't have to put it back together as I've no idea how too.

At half 3 ish the engine came out without too much hassle, and an hour or so later the wishbones where out shortly followed by the subframe.

By this time Tom had got the loom sorted and was able to remove that from the car. After this we gave the engine bay a little bit of a clean and packed up for the day.

Must say a big thanks to Dave for picking me up and taking me home....

So here are a few pic's from today. Hopefully there will be some new bits going in tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68659[/ATTACH]

Tom looking to see what's going off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68660[/ATTACH]

No going back now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68661[/ATTACH]

Drive shafts being undone. Which are being sold with the hub conversion.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68662[/ATTACH]

5 stud hub conversion which will be up for sale soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68663[/ATTACH]

And its out. 6 hours or so after starting. Engine will be stripped and sold for spares soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68664[/ATTACH]

Time for a bit of cleaning.