Sign in to follow this  
borarob

spare wheel

in the process of figuring out and building my boot install - been looking for pics for inspiration. one of the things I have noticed is that the boot of my C seems to completely different to all others I have seen. They all look to have a flat floor to them, whereas mine has a huge spare wheel shaped hump in it, where, yes you guessed it, underneath lives the spare wheel. It is a full size sebring alloy. Is this unuasal? do most have a space saver, hence the flat boot?

cheers all

There's several boot configurations, and they depend on both the size of the tank (ie, is it an early car - 12G tank, or a late car - 15G tank) and the size of the spare wheel...

Early small tank with space saver = totally flat boot carpet

Early small tank with full sized alloy spare = medium hump

Later large tank with space saver = small hump

Later large tank with full sized alloy spare = BIG hump

Pretty sure that's accurate anyway... 8)

cool thanks for that. so by that reckoning if i get myself a space saver I should end up with a flat boot! (i've got an early valver)

cool thanks for that. so by that reckoning if i get myself a space saver I should end up with a flat boot! (i've got an early valver)

Yup, I did exactly that in my first C which was an H plate valver... you'll need to get a space saver AND the carpet though, as the carpet is shaped, unless you're just going to put a board in to put your build on I suppose...

I don't actually carry a spare anymore, I just have a can of tyre foam and an AA card... cuts down on excess weight in the car, and means I can put other things in the spare wheel well! 8)

was thinking of the tyre weld/mini compressor option, as fitted in my touran but i've been offered a space saver for a fiver so its the cheaper option :lol:

i was told that the spare wheel came in the form of the thin nasty one that looks like it came off a citroen dolly. and the full size wheel was an extra ?dont know if thats true or not .

All my early ones had full size spares. I've swapped them out for space savers from mk3s, using the mk3 flat boot carpet as well. With a little trim its almost a perfect fit in the 'rado :)

I had a full size sebring in mine...

Looked like whichever wheel it was on experienced a hole in the cv boot!