Sign in to follow this  
SIMONG

coolant reservour bottle

came to start the car this morning, coolant light goes out, then within a minute it starts flashing again. did this a couple of times to see if it would stop but it didnt.

didnt have time to sort this out so went to wor in the golf.

gotto work checked the forum as to cause's, most answer point to the sensor in the bottle. got back from work and started the car again still the same within a minute the light starts flashing. so topped up the water, and i cant tell the coolant level as i live on a hill. start her up again over two mins no flashing light.

when i topped the coolant up i tyred to be careful not to spill any. so after i turned it off had a look at the bottle there was a slight water drip under the black pastic shroud on the bottle next to the strut top. so thinkin my bottle is cracked. :(

BELOW IS WHAT IM GETTING AT:

before i got back from work i rang VW to ask how much a bottle was. they gave me two options.

the orginal part number which was still available @ £34.?? + vat

or

an alternate part number which is still the right part but off later VW's like the FOX @ £13.?? + vat

has anyone fitted the newer part to there car? any problems or issues with it? if there saying its right i would rather pay less then half the price for the newer type one.

any help would be nice.

cheers Si.

GSF do a pattern one (for the original part) which is cheap, it looks the part and I've had no trouble with it at all.

It's possible you just have the seal or valve damaged in the cap though, do you have the original black cap or the superceeding blue one?

GSF do a pattern one (for the original part) which is cheap, it looks the part and I've had no trouble with it at all.

It's possible you just have the seal or valve damaged in the cap though, do you have the original black cap or the superceeding blue one?

reading you got a mk3 golf one?? is that a straight swap?

its blue. no seal i was gonna pop some vasaline on like you said in a different post.

you know the seal is on the inner part yes? not between the lip on the cap and the top surface on the tank.

Just bought 2 new bottles for the 8v's and they were only £15 inc VAT from the dealers, part number 5X0121407A, get to the dealers and tell them this. :grin: unless ours gave us the wrong parts Lol!

Just bought 2 new bottles for the 8v's and they were only £15 inc VAT from the dealers, part number 5X0121407A, get to the dealers and tell them this. :grin: unless ours gave us the wrong parts Lol!

That's the same one that I've recently fitted, list price £13.27 + VAT.

Ian.

Iv just ordered one of these http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=480

for just over a tenner

Thats the same number as the ones we have, although it works out slightly cheaper from the dealers without having to pay the postage. :wink: we always get a good discount too when we mention the Corrado Club so well worth the £10 joining fee. :grin:

Ordered the bottle today so will be there in the morning. I got the part you guys said, this was the same one the chap at the dealers was on about. Was thinkin about puttin a used one on from work which prob would of been free. But I thought for £15 it wasn't really worth it.

Just have to mess about fittin it now

cheers for the response people

im not worried bout fitting the bottle itself, more worried about the coolant going everywhere then trying to top it back up again whilst on a hill? :scratch:

got the bottle. didnt even get a cap with it! stingie gits!

put the bottle on today, no spillage. unbolted the bottle, turned it upside side swapped the pipes over then poured the contents of the old bottle into the new bottle. then swapped top breahter over. job done. ran for ten mins or so no flashing light, coolant temp seemed to take a while to start to move and then get to 70. hot air coming through the vents. could do with takin it on a run now.