Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

VR6 timing chains. Few questions from the chaps that know.

I'd spoken to my mechanic before about changing the VR chains & he didn't sound that enthusiastic about it, although he's well capable. I spoke to him today again & told him all he has to do is remove the rocker cover etc. (courtest Toad) and replace these parts. I've also asked him to check everything else when he's in there.

You can't replace the upper tensioner pad by just removing the rocker cover etc. Its a gearbox off job. Also the only thing you can check by removing those things anyway is the upper tensioner pad, which ironically is the thing you can't change without further major work anyway.

You can't replace the upper tensioner pad by just removing the rocker cover etc. Its a gearbox off job. Also the only thing you can check by removing those things anyway is the upper tensioner pad, which ironically is the thing you can't change without further major work anyway.

Looks like I jumped the gun then :(

Sorry Chap! Its a shame they didn't design it so you could remove it easier. Its kind of the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. Its such a ball ache to change the thing, you're kind of opening a can of worms by checking it. When in all probablilty it will cover many tens of thousands of miles even with wear on it. Mine had deep grooves in it fifty thousand miles ago. Even if it does wear right through it has a dirty great metal surface behind the pad which I would hope to hear if the chain was running on it. I know for a fact that I will probably have my engine apart for worn bores and valve stem oil seals at some point so I will look at the chains then. Whilst it is all apart, not because it has reached some mythical milage figure.

How's your clutch? :wink: If that's getting worn / heavy and needs replacing, doing the chains isn't a huge amount of extra work whilst the gearbox is off.

It's only the front chain guide that you can change with the upper cover off. The tensioner pad pivot is below the top of the lower cover.

Sorry!

Guess what, I had the clutch replaced about 10k ago. Not to worry, I'll just keep the parts until I need them.

I'll soon have enough extra raddo parts to build another car :)