Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Breather Hose...

After a recent service, my C's misfiring problem was diagnosed as a split in the breather hose (cuasing an air leak) and possibly some kind of blockage in the breather assembly.

Now, I've looked on that russian site :wink: and found the assembly, but I can't find the hose that attaches to it... Someone who really should know thinks the hose is part of the assembly (since it's a sealed unit :?:) but ETKA suggests otherwise...

Is the breather hose a seperate item in it's own right and can it be changed without changing the assembly (assuming that the assembly doesn't have a blockage in it)?

A part number would be lurrvly... (my russian's not so hot :lol:) - can't find anything on ECP either...

Ta muchly,

DtM.

If you are referring to the crank case breather valve and hose, then yes, VW will sell you the whole thing, including the valve, the hose, and that bent piece of the induction tubing.

Do yourself a favour - get down the ford garage and ask for the crank case breather hose off a Ford Galaxy VR6 - they'll sell you just the hose for a few quid, instead of the whole thing for over £100...

If you are referring to the crank case breather valve and hose, then yes, VW will sell you the whole thing, including the valve, the hose, and that bent piece of the induction tubing.

Do yourself a favour - get down the ford garage and ask for the crank case breather hose off a Ford Galaxy VR6 - they'll sell you just the hose for a few quid, instead of the whole thing for over £100...

Most excellent dr_mat sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar 8)

(even if the assembly is fubar'd, it's got to be worth spending some pennies on just a hose first to see)

bows2.gif

Well the valve housing itself often goes, but even that is only about £15 from Ford, and I managed to fit it myself, despite being a complete duffer.

Problem is duncanthemad has a 16v, that breather assembley is for the vr6.

...with reference to the Ford parts I take it... :?:

...if that's the case then I'm back to square one (getting the whole assembly from VW) :cry:

Thanks anyway people, it was a worth a try :wink:

DtM.

Yeah, ford use the vr6 in the galaxy so some vr6 parts can be bought cheaply from them, doesnt help with the 16v though.

Ah....my mistake!

In that case, you'll be referring to the long rubber hose that comes out of the block? I paid about £40 for one those several years ago from the dealer, so hopefully they will have come down in price by now.

Put some stainless steel mesh over the end of the metal block outlet and the oil will emulsify on that and not in your airbox!

K

Quick Update (and another Reading/berkshire Garage reccomendation :lol: ).

Took my misfiring C into RA Engineering (http://www.raengineering.co.uk/index.html), and explained all about the breather assembly diagnosis I'd had previously.

They went through all their diagnostics (fuel & ignition systems) and decided that the breather and assembly was fine. The problem was a seriouslty cracked distributor cap... wtf? :shock:

Apart from being really confused now, here's what I think has happened... I had a misfing problem, with the help of a friend I changed the Ignition leads (which I'm guessing was the main source of the original problem), presumably, when we refitted the distributor cap we accidentally damaged it :oops: over time it got worse so when I took it for a service, they diagnosed the breather hose (since my records would have shown the distributor was fairly new). I still think they ought to have checked it though :?:. Anyway, I told PL to check the breather, he replaced a clip but couldn't find anything else wrong with it (and reccomended going to RA Engineering) changing the clip did help a lot though (the original diagnosers refused to touch the hose saying they were afraid it would fall apart...)

So RA changed the cap, and volia, no more misfiring :mrgreen: I've since dicovered that the Cap which was fitted was the el cheapo variety (naughty, naughty to the people concerned, mentioning no names), RA have put a pukker one on there now...

The fact that they were working on both a Ferrrari Tesstarosa and a Lotus Esprit Turbo out the back made me feel much better. I spoke to the chap who worked on my car, and they get people coming to see them from all over the UK.

Looks like I've found a new place to get my servcing done :thumbleft:

DtM.