Sign in to follow this  
robrado974

best polish?

had the c back from the shop for a good two months now and still not happy with paint finish. dont get me wrong the spray job is the dogs but i still have what they call hologram lines in it? .have heard recently bout anti hologram polish from a sprayshop down the road from me ,he said you do get the marks in the paint because of the way the machine works when polishing?.apinions please what do you find the best ? he said you should get those marks out with that polish [now at halfords] and microfibre cloths. thanks rob

Have you washed the car since you got it back?

AFAIK holograming is caused by washing and getting tiny particles of grit trapped in your sponge/washmit/whatever, then being rubbed over the paint.

If you haven't washed it since, I'd be taking it back - there's no way you should have holograms in fresh paint.

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along :D

car has been washed since its been back but im very carefull and use a mit not a spunge ,the mit was clean ,im a bit anul when it comes to the c and having it resprayed im extra carefull ! .confident there was no grit in the mit .

I would guess you still would get some swirls etc, have you tried to polish it and then wax it?.

Also, maybe check to see if it needs to be clayed ? (not sure it will need it if paint is totaly fresh)....

i would not have thought so with fresh paint , the spray job has had high praise since i got it back so im sure its not the fault of them ,will try anti h polish on sunday and wax afterwoulds ,that is unless someone on here screams nnnnoooo!.thanks for replies ,rob

i would not have thought so with fresh paint , the spray job has had high praise since i got it back so im sure its not the fault of them ,will try anti h polish on sunday and wax afterwoulds ,that is unless someone on here screams nnnnoooo!.thanks for replies ,rob

Also might want to feel with your hand over the paint, and see if it's smooth as glass - if not you might want to consider calying it before polishing and waxing ;)

i have just started using G4, this is a very mild compound ideal for fresh paint and its job is to remove holograms, it seems to work very well, and can be used by hand or machine polish.a little goes a very long way :D

I think holograms can be caused by poor use of polishing machines, think you might have to get the car machine polished by someone who knows what they are doing.

You could try something like meguires scratch x which can be applied by hand, but it would be hard work.

Have a look on Detailing World website, some knowledgeable people on there.

Rich

Holograms are caused by machine polishing, its basically a trail mark left behind. You can get rid of them by machine polishing or hand polishing. If you get something like menzerna 203s, which can be used by machine or hand, you will be able to get rid of the marks. Just remember if its by hand it will take a bit longer. Menzerna 203 has a slight cut which will remove the marks, you will need to add something to protect it after using menzerna, a sealent or wax. You could also use Auto glym super resin polish(SRP), which has less of a cut but will fill swirls and mask holograms. However with time (SPR) will fade and the holograms may come back.

If the paint on your car is still very fresh I wouldn't apply a wax just now, let the paint breathe and settle. I'd say 2-3 months. You can keep polishing it.

sounds like the body shop not refined the finish :( dependent on what colour and how good the finish you could end up compounding and polishng. i use the 3m range and se polish is very good for hologram removal, but expensive.

Go onto detailing world and have a read up on there. There are that many different makes/brands of polishes to go for.Likes been said the bodyshop havnt finished the buffing properly, in my experience they leave this job to junior joe :eek: to do as part of training..!!!

If you do use a machine to polish always the mildest pad and least aggresive polish first, by the sound of it;it wont need alot.