Sign in to follow this  
stevej

originality

OE BBS "Monte Carlo" wheel paint code ?

I've seen lods of threads on this but no ones thrown up a diffinitive answer. I once heard that Merc brilliant silver is almost identical.

Discuss

Yup, Merc Brilliant Silver, that's what I have used for years. The standard VW L009 100- Chrome for all VW silver painted wheels, always turned out darker when I initially used that. (you must be reading one of my old posts). MBS is not perfect but the closest I've got after several silver paint touch-ups tests. Seems to settle best to give a good match, ie., wheel flat on the ground off the car so the metallic flecks drop to the bottom of the lacquer mix when applied. I use a one touch paint (paint & lacquer mixed together) rather than paint colour and lacquer separate.

-------------

@ Andy,

You'll have a job keeping Hammerite (Finnegans) Waxoyl clean! Its worse for getting dirty than VW's harder wax version. At least with VW's when set, you can wipe with WD40 to clean it, Waxoyl just smudges away.

i`m ordering some of the vw waxoyl and we`ll see how it compares to the original stuff...

I've used loads of VW waxoyl on mine, approx 7 or 8 cans. The 300ml ones don't go far.

There is hardly any factory wax in the front box sections at all. Take the bumper off and shine a very powerful torch in there and have a look. The VW cans have quite a good squirt range and can propel the wax down that far.

The factory wax on the radiator support panel is ineffective, so I got mine stripped, powder coated and used 4 cans of wax just on that panel alone. Not for concours reasons, but for extended lifespan.

The wax starts off white, then goes yellow over time, just like the factory stuff that dripped out of the tailgate drain holes over summer in MK2 Golfs.

Unlike Finnigans wax, the VW stuff is a fixed consistency that doesn't thicken or run with temperature (from the can) and it films over parts far, far better, so you don't need thick globules of the stuff to provide effective protection.

If you're talking about preservation and waxing, where you should really be concentrating your efforts is in the offside rear wing where the fuel flap CL pin passes through the double skin. Rust prevention and sealing up there is very patchy and inconsistent on many cars. Behind the petrol flap opening and where the fuel filler neck screws to the car also need a quick check.

Yeah, the VW stuff is the stuff to use, waxoyl is just another product by Hammerite - does the job but not particuarly well!

Those 300ml cans probably only contain around half that measure of wax, I used a couple of 1ltr cans on mine - heated up in a can of hot water until it starts to oooze out and then sprayed using a gun with a wand attached - obviously you need a half decent compressor for this.

Other option is to take it to a decent body shop to do - had my MK2 Golf re-injected with wax when it got to 10 years old, mainly becuase of the ammount that used to run out of it in hot weather as kevb describes above - was never a patch of rust on that car

On my last Corrado (93 2.0 16V), there was a thin rubber gasket that sat between the windscreen and the lower 3 piece scuttle cover. There isn't one on my current car (92 VR6). I'm yet to see one on another car and I can't find it on ETKA. It looked OE all day long, so was it a one off ? Or has anyone else seen one ?

Just wondered...the old coloured fuses that are used on the corrado...has anyone replaced them all to "modern" coloured fuses or are the old ones just as good in burning out when there is a short.

Also would you get marked down in concourse competition if these fuses are replaced with modern ones...too.

Considering they are behind the small pocket shelf and hidden. Do you think a judge is about to rip apart your car on the line in front of you? You are having a joke aren't you? :D

On a line a car gets about 20 mins to be assessed, 30 mins at most.

I have loads of old fuses spares. They don't go "off" with time if stored. They do "life" if in use if working near their current rating.