Sign in to follow this  
stevej

originality

Was wondering about the following:

what colour should the slam panel bolts be that attach to the front part of the wing

did the wheel nuts ever have any coverings i.e plastic caps

I am correct in thinking that there was a VR plug lead removal tool that attched to the bonnet stay ?

Factory colour of brake calipers & carriers

Anal questions I know :nuts: , but I am sure someone will have the answers

cheers

yes wheel cover caps came fitted as standard, but many prob got slung away,the callipers brand new come in a goldy/silvery colour, when i bough a rear calliper last, silver would look oem though.

not anal question if anything i prob more fussy than you about niggles like that!! :D

Mine still has the plastic caps on them..there is also a small tool provided by VW to remove these caps (I ve got the tool on my desk right now and it has the number 357 012 244. I presume its the part number of this tool.

cheers guys

Mine still has the plastic caps on them..there is also a small tool provided by VW to remove these caps (I ve got the tool on my desk right now and it has the number 357 012 244. I presume its the part number of this tool.

what do the caps look like ? Are they like the newer vw ones with the hole in the centre ?

no they are a solid complete cap, part number off etka, p/n 867601173 saying 16 in total ,

there is another type that fits over genuine locking wheel nuts as well -p/n 535601173b, saying 4 in total

no they are a solid complete cap, part number off etka, p/n 867601173 saying 16 in total ,

there is another type that fits over genuine locking wheel nuts as well -p/n 535601173b, saying 4 in total

cheers :salute: thats something else to add to the v. long list !

Slam panel bolts were actually black I think - only the wing ones were painted over.

i did wonder that, as I remember seeing them as black on one at a show recently. Guess we need the one of the concours guys/girls to let us know !

Slam panel bolts were actually black I think - only the wing ones were painted over.

Yep, just about to post that up Steve .... black bolts on slam, wing bolts painted over..

Calipers are like they are now on new VW's

:) .

i tryed buying those black bolts/screw for the slamp panel and i got the wing style ones, i think they have superseded top the wing type :(

if anyone knows the r :( igh p/n le me know!!

Besides wheel cap puller 357 012 244, there is also a short length version 357 012 244A. If you want one with longer fingers (+2cm), then 8D0 012 244A is another I have (much better and easier to use).

Wheel caps:

- 867 601 173 is common to both 4 and 5 wheel bolt configurations. Satin Black finish

- 535 601 173B are for VW locking wheel bolts on a 4 bolt pattern. Satin Black finish

- 535 601 173C are for VW locking wheel bolts on a 5 bolt pattern. Satin Black finish

The wing bolts are 311 821 143. They have been standard since the Air-cooled Beetle days. What makes the slam panel different is the lipped washers instead of plain flat type wahsers. These lipped washers aren't listed anywhere on VW or Audi although a couple of washers do show that may be them...... 411 821 185 and 211 805 189, if someone wants to risk a couple of quid to test out. It is a very long shot!

As is practise from time to time VAG rationalise the spare parts that will "make do" universally for repairs. This bolt & washer 311 821 143 has been the standard slam panel spare bolt/washer even when the Corrado was in production. So the lipped washer is a "Karmann thing", never listed against the Corrado as a spare. I've just checked on the car, there is no part number on the lipped washers (not unusual for sundry parts). So Concours is not quite possibe without robbing from elsewhere, ie a Corrado being scrapped. Something else for me to watch for when judging next year ;) :lol:

This is why you gotta love this forum :D

Besides wheel cap puller 357 012 244, there is also a short length version 357 012 244A. If you want one with longer fingers (+2cm), then 8D0 012 244A is another I have (much better and easier to use).

Wheel caps:

- 867 601 173 is common to both 4 and 5 wheel bolt configurations. Satin Black finish

- 535 601 173B are for VW locking wheel bolts on a 4 bolt pattern. Satin Black finish

- 535 601 173C are for VW locking wheel bolts on a 5 bolt pattern. Satin Black finish

The wing bolts are 311 821 143. They have been standard since the Air-cooled Beetle days. What makes the slam panel different is the lipped washers instead of plain flat type wahsers. These lipped washers aren't listed anywhere on VW or Audi although a couple of washers do show that may be them...... 411 821 185 and 211 805 189, if someone wants to risk a couple of quid to test out. It is a very long shot!

As is practise from time to time VAG rationalise the spare parts that will "make do" universally for repairs. This bolt & washer 311 821 143 has been the standard slam panel spare bolt/washer even when the Corrado was in production. So the lipped washer is a "Karmann thing", never listed against the Corrado as a spare. I've just checked on the car, there is no part number on the lipped washers (not unusual for sundry parts). So Concours is not quite possibe without robbing from elsewhere, ie a Corrado being scrapped. Something else for me to watch for when judging next year ;) :lol:

cheers for that RW1. With regards concours judging, is there a list of specific things looked for or is it just split into the catagories of exterior, interior etc ? Just interested in how things are scored.

I know this will be in the wrong section :nono: but any idea of what the period radio would be in an 93 L raddo ?

535 601 173C are for VW locking wheel bolts on a 5 bolt pattern. Satin Black finish

Nice to know the above...Mine is missing. Didnt know they made one specifically for the locking wheel bolt :) Learn something new everyday with the Corrado.

Wonder how much it is ?

Brake callipers are almost a gold colour new, mix up some smoothrite silver and gold at around 50/50 and it should be about right.

This is why you gotta love this forum :D

cheers for that RW1. With regards concours judging, is there a list of specific things looked for or is it just split into the categories of exterior, interior etc ? Just interested in how things are scored.

I know this will be in the wrong section :nono: but any idea of what the period radio would be in an 93 L raddo ?

VW Concours D'Elegance in the true sense on the VW scene was set out in a judging sheet by ABVWC - Association of British VW Club some 25 years ago (I think???). It lays out 7 sections, each with a score out of 20 (total 140). They also assigned classes into which VWs could be entered. Class 14 is normally Water Cooled Coupes (Scirocco & Corrado) but these days due to lack of entries, some shows are not sticking strictly to the original guidelines.

It was so all the local clubs could judge VWs to the same standard. Some of those smaller clubs now have larger shows like Stanford Hall, Stonor Park & BVF Malverne.

Sections

1. Paintwork & Panels

Originality, freedom from damage, original colour, hood & bag for Cabrio

2. Exterior Trim

Completeness from damage, originality

3. Wheels & Tyres

Cleanliness. Freedom from damage. Five identical tyres (space-saver exception) Wheel original type/colour with correct hub caps if fitted, or factory option at the time at the time of manufacture.

4. Underbody

Cleanliness. Freedom from damage and rust, obvious signs of welding.

5. Interior

Cleanliness. No tears or excessive wear, correct functioning of parts, originality.

6. Luggage Compartment

Originality, cleanliness and tool kit.

7. Engine & Engine Compartment

Originality & cleanliness including underside of the engine.

Penalty Points

Not licensed or trailered to the event - deduct 10 points

ill fitting or unsuitable/none period accessories

Deduct up to 3 points for lack of tool kit

Deduct points as appropriate for others eg. Koni shocks.

----------------------------

Basically the judge is knowledgeable about the VW model. He will be looking for how the Scirocco/Corrado compares with the day it rolled off the production line. I tell you, that is hard..... Class 14 Sciroccos Mk1 & 2 & Corrados covers 21 years of manufacture at Karmann. I visited the showrooms regularly [dreaming!] (sitting in and looking at the new cars), have the all brochures (both car & accessories), original parts lists of the time and magazine articles for reference so have a fairly strong background but it can still be hard sometimes when a car on the show line throws up something.

So for instance in judging a car, given the age and mileage of a car, if the axle beams/sub-frames as original in black paint with a little rust, that would fair better, as would a restored with chassis black paint or similar black paint. But a squeaky clean finished with Nylon powder coating, hmmm. Why? Cos the car never left the factory with that finish. Where the latter would fair better is in a Show & Shine or Custom Concours.

Same for suspension, original shocks even if not in the best state will fair better over say a set of Yellow Koni shock absorbers.

Another is paint finish... all Sciroccos & Corrados were hand painted for colour and if lacquered, passed under a spray bridge in the open factory. The produces a certain ripple finish to the paintwork. The finish if picky could be taken into account.

An example of an ill fitting accessory is the "headlight loom". Not factory, so some points deducted.

At the end of the day, the judge will look at all the cars in the same way.

A Concours prepared car may not fair well in other competitions because preparation of the car is different. So pick your competition and think through the rules by which it will be judged. For instance Stanford Hall, Stonor Park & BVF all use the same ABVWC sheet. So I compete in those. I go to VW NWest Tatton park and it's a lottery for me because the judging sheet is different, the judging criteria is different.

In all you enter for the fun of it and to show off your prize possession to the visitors of the show.

-----------------------------------

Radios, not sure about 1993 for the UK. A lot of VWs didn't come from the factory with radios. They had a blanking panel fitted. It was an era when dealers fitted either Sony or Panasonic or Blaupunkt units in the main. As long as it was one of these and correct model for the car's year, it would be fine.

535 601 173C in May 1998 was £2 including VAT. Much the same today if available.

:roll: who's judging at Stanford next year? We will all have to be careful :nono:

Any chance of some advice on fittings finish Chris??

I'm not taking Judith's pride & joy off topic so we're here..........

Above has the answer in the last post I put up Dave.

I lost points at BVF this year because an original part fitted to the Scirocco that was off a Golf. :puppydogeyes: Ooops, a judge who knew his beans in detail down to a bracket :salute:

Thanks for that Chris, a very useful thread.

As mentioned earlier I could do with researching original fitment finishes to try not to fall foul with my zinc plating kit. Options available are yellow/ clear/ black and olive green.

Am I correct with the following:

bonnet catch /washers & bolts............... yellow?

bonnet release: domed bolt and spring...... clear zinc?

bonnet release: adjuster nut and washer ....yellow?

slam panel bolts.....noted......................black

battery clamp and bolt..........................yellow?

Hose clamps......................................green?

subframe and rear axle fittings................clear zinc?

If anybody has original sales brochures showing any of these that would be most useful :help:

001.JPG[/attachment:2m1cjzgs]

this shows the yellow passivate and clear options, any thoughts??

Brochures are tarted up. They may start off as real photos but...... the airbrushing they did to them.

bonnet catch /washers & bolts............... yellow?

Zinc coated finish, note in the photo the zinc finish is not the same shade! Is that down to thickness/duration of the dipping???? ie. the VW origianl parts are thinner coated.

bonnet release: domed bolt and spring...... clear zinc?

Much like the brake pipe finish, the dull olive green but lighter. See photo below in green circle.

bonnet release: adjuster nut and washer ....yellow?

Zinc coated finish. See photo below in green circle.

slam panel bolts.....noted......................black

black

battery clamp and bolt..........................yellow?

same as brake compenstor lever arm. See photo below in red circle.

Hose clamps......................................green?

green, very light grey & blue depending on which connection is clamped.

subframe and rear axle fittings................clear zinc?

bolts/nuts - zinc coated. Clips for hand brake cable are clear - shiney stainless steel. Compensator spring - zinc or as mine black. Compensator Body is clear alloy.

Corrado VR6 Brake Compensator - 04b.jpg[/attachment:2adcyl1m]

Drew's build thread page here has got quite a few useful photos for the axle as has page 6 although one or two items are different to a VR6, ie. not originally zinc coated such as the brake compensator arm/lever arm.

One thing I will say is that I have seen judges knock points off if you "bling" the components and get the wrong finish such as the bonnet dome bolts & springs in the photo. Enough differences like that and a judge will knock points off for not restoring correctly.

Where the crunch comes is more in a Superclass where cars are spilt by fine details such as my Golf bracket at BVF this year. So watch the "correctness" with the plating. Concours is not a show & shine contest.

Thanks Chris :notworthy:

Yep still learning, the yellow passivate finish varies according to smoothness of the zinc underneath and time in the passivate. The smoother the zinc the less passivate sticks to it. The catch in my photo is too dark. The brightness can be toned down by not adding brightener to the zinc dip and /or not clear passivate dipping prior to yellow dip, although the nitric acid in the clear passivate helps the yellow to stick!!

Hoping that my efforts dont loose marks as it should be better than the worn or painted finish I have at the moment. I will however take onboard your thoughts on 'bling' level.

Ah, so it's adjustable.

I know this is not a Corrado but a Sciroco Mk2. It gives you an idea of a well prepared engine bay. Note the shade of zinc on it. They are original.

Also, the coolant pipe clips on the cylinder head to radiator in grey are the shade I refer to in the previous post.

Door pins will fascinate me cos how are you getting the white plastic anti-rattle linings on???? Wouldn't be easier to buy two new door pins?

Door pins will fascinate me cos how are you getting the white plastic anti-rattle linings on???? .

Likewise... how much are they from the stealers?

Ah, so it's adjustable.

I know this is not a Corrado but a Sciroco Mk2. It gives you an idea of a well prepared engine bay. Note the shade of zinc on it. They are original.

Also, the coolant pipe clips on the cylinder head to radiator in grey are the shade I refer to in the previous post.

Door pins will fascinate me cos how are you getting the white plastic anti-rattle linings on???? Wouldn't be easier to buy two new door pins?

Thats the ticket, just as it should be, the MK1 Cabriolet resoration thread seen recently was lovely work and not custom in the usual sense but in reality it looked a little Walt Disney, just everything over restored created a strange fantasy look standard finish

DSC_2007.jpg