Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Performance Upgrades - Bang for Buck

Getting my VR6 into shape, improving the paintwork by giving it some love, brakes have been uprated, some suspension bits renewed and chains done new clutch, rebuilt gearbox, refurbed wheels and new tyres on the way.

So I'm basically back to standard VR6 with better brakes which is great, loads of fun. But I really enjoyed the uplift in power from when it was running like a dog, with a misfire and about 40 bhp down.

Without going massively Max Power, hoooooge turbo or nitrous oxide, what's the next thing to do? New "sports" exhaust? It will need a new zorst at some point so does this give it more "oomph"? BMC CDA? I understand they sound great. Or should I start saving to buy Dr Forinor's GTR off him instead?

Exhaust and air filter really won't give you any significant performance gains. I'd say the next best way to spend a few quid would be something like a Schimmel cam and a remap. Still looking at ~£1000 for those two but should net you another 20BHP or so.

VW exhausts are good as standard so I wouldn't bother, the BMC CDA is an awesome addition and has been known to add up to 7bhp (doubtful) and one hell of a soundtrack

As Jim said the Scimmel cams are the way to go, can be picked up from here for 200-300 every now and again then cost on top if you renew tappets, gaskets, pay for fitting, remaps etc

You'll still notice a big difference just by chucking them in and running them though, map isn't essential

Perhaps I'll go on a diet and empty the boot then. The spare wheel ,tools and jack make lots of rattly noises anyway.

When I was a biker I thought it was funny that these guys would spend thousands on titanium exhausts, magnesium wheels, remaps etc on their sports bikes and still have big beer bellies.

With so many people who were supercharged and have now gone turbo (I'm one of them!), there are now more second hand superchargers available at reasonable prices. So a well looked after secondhand supercharger would, in terms of power for the pound, eclipse any filter, exhaust, cam, head polish etc...

Save your pennies, keep your eyes peeled and go for the next good looking supercharger kit and enjoy nearly 300BHP.

Just my thoughts!

With so many people who were supercharged and have now gone turbo (I'm one of them!), there are now more second hand superchargers available at reasonable prices. So a well looked after secondhand supercharger would, in terms of power for the pound, eclipse any filter, exhaust, cam, head polish etc...

Save your pennies, keep your eyes peeled and go for the next good looking supercharger kit and enjoy nearly 300BHP.

Just my thoughts!

Not a bad shout that, quite a few about now and massive power increase for not too much money

Although I would say I much preferred the delivery and reliability of my 240bhp NA compared to my now charged 300bhp

Much smaller powerband and bit of lag low down, not to mention excess heat and strain. A healthy VR with cams and a Schrick is a very enjoyable machine and eclipses most things you come across, I miss it a bit if I'm honest