Sign in to follow this  
Jim

DVLA - Any chance to screw you...

Had the Corrado declared as SORN for the last month as the MOT had expired, etc. Car is now at DG and got an MOT and I need to pick it back up next week, so need to tax it.

Just applying for tax now and despite the date (25/06/2010) they're setting the start date for the tax as 01/06/2010! Robbing c***s! Any excuse to screw you!

Can't - need to pick the car up. Already sent them my details anyway now :(

Yeah I spotted that when reviving my road fund licence. I feel your pain, though I had the luxury of being able to wait a few days.

Your only looking at next Thursday, so whats the rush? you have the VR. surely the garage can hold onto it for a few days :shrug:

I though you where allowed to drive it to and from a 'pre-booked' MOT without tax.

You can drive to an MOT Test station if you are pre booked but you must always have a vehicle licence disc if you are driving on the open highway.

Your only looking at next Thursday, so whats the rush? you have the VR. surely the garage can hold onto it for a few days :shrug:

Exactly what I thought!

Exactly what I thought!

Likewise.

Don't forget the next bit of pain coming most folks way soon, if you have a photo ID style driving license it expires eveyr 10 years. £25 is the cost for sticking a new photo on; if you don't the fines are huge as well as being potentially uninsured and a charge of driving without a valid license. :hitler:

I though you where allowed to drive it to and from a 'pre-booked' MOT without tax.

You can drive to an MOT Test station if you are pre booked but you must always have a vehicle licence disc if you are driving on the open highway.

It's insurance you must always have. What happens if the car's been off the road for a while, is on sorn and the MOT has run out?

from the dvla site http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069671

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

Too late - I already coughed up. I wanted to ensure I actually had the tax disc on the car when I picked it up rather than, if I got pulled, having to go through the "it's in the post" BS...

Ah I stand corrected then lol. Cheers i'll remember that.

As jim says though is it worth the hassle as you'd surely be taxing it if you are having it tested.

Silly rule if you ask me. :-D

Exactly what I thought!

Likewise.

Don't forget the next bit of pain coming most folks way soon, if you have a photo ID style driving license it expires eveyr 10 years. £25 is the cost for sticking a new photo on; if you don't the fines are huge as well as being potentially uninsured and a charge of driving without a valid license. :hitler:

yep, already been hit with this, i think its quite a liberty that you have to pay again to be honest

Yep me too. You can change address for free and that requires a new card being printed but to update your photo they charge.

Not good, really not good. :bad-words: