Sign in to follow this  
Rob2901

Corrado TDi?????

I know i'm running the risk of 'disgusting' the hardcore Corrado lovers, but does anybody know if it's possible to stick a Golf GTTDi engine in a Corrado. I love the Corrado styling & their 'modern classic' reputation, but do alot of miles for work & can't justify or afford a weekend car. I know you can put an R32 engine a Corrado. Does anybody know if this has been done before &/or if it's possible & the scale of work/cost to do it?

Cheers,

Rob.

PM the user Supercharged on here, and divert him to this thread :) He runs a Corrado TDI with a PD115 engine in it. He didn't do the conversion on it himself but has spent considerable time under it and sorting various jobs on it and I think has a pretty good idea on what's been done.

I've driven it a number of times and it's excellent.. the TDI engine suits the Corrado very well. I assumed being a heavy diesel engine it'd be very nose heavy but it feels just as light as a valver up front too and has the added bonus of returning in excess of 60MPG on a run.

PM the user Supercharged on here, and divert him to this thread :) He runs a Corrado TDI with a PD115 engine in it. He didn't do the conversion on it himself but has spent considerable time under it and sorting various jobs on it and I think has a pretty good idea on what's been done.

I've driven it a number of times and it's excellent.. the TDI engine suits the Corrado very well. I assumed being a heavy diesel engine it'd be very nose heavy but it feels just as light as a valver up front too and has the added bonus of returning in excess of 60MPG on a run.

Yeah it is a good engine conversion to do and Supercharged's car really flies along, make sure you get the 6 speed box though as I suspect that really makes the difference between good and brilliant.

Was just thinking about this tonight, seen it done a few times and am yet to see a members thread from supercharged despite him being a mod, super mod, admin? :)

With me considering buying a house and doing a fair few miles to work it just wouldn't be cost effective to run a VR6 but a diesel rado would be perfect.

the added bonus of returning in excess of 60MPG on a run.

Not even my Mum's 2009 Polo 1.4 TDI returns that much. What is it with diesel people and thinking of an mpg number, and then doubling it?

I used a MK4 PD130 years ago through work and it averaged ~ 40mpg over the 2 weeks I had it.

Not even my Mum's 2009 Polo 1.4 TDI returns that much. What is it with diesel people and thinking of an mpg number, and then doubling it?

I used a MK4 PD130 years ago through work and it averaged ~ 40mpg over the 2 weeks I had it.

I had a 6n2 tdi and honestly around town it'd do around 40-45mpg and on the motorway 70 odd mpg sitting at 80-100ish... No exageration.

My corrado does... :lol:

The 115PD in the MK4 Golf would do 53MPG. That was the book value and that's what I saw several times on long runs on the MFA when I owned my MK4 115PD.. so I saw it with my own eyes.

I was watching the MFA on the car when we drove back through Holland at a very steady 60MPH and believe me when I say it Kev, it was returning 60MPG! Steve insists that the MFA underreads too....! So I dunno... I'm sort of going on his word there :)

Was just thinking about this tonight, seen it done a few times and am yet to see a members thread from supercharged despite him being a mod, super mod, admin? :)

He's got two Corrado's, about half of the stock of Corrado parts in the country, and as you say never actually put up a thread. I might start annoying him over email about that.

there was a TDI corrado on a ferry not long ago, SPOTTED, i got some crappy pics and wondered if it was chap on here

I'd be interested in this also, especially costs.

I really like the torque and power delivery of diesels combined with economy, although I did some maths and worked out that my 1990 Valver is doing about 35mpg average with mixture of motorway and town.

there was a TDI corrado on a ferry not long ago, SPOTTED, i got some crappy pics and wondered if it was chap on here

That was probably me then when we went to Holland - 26th to the 30th May??

Kev - remember mine's light too compared to a MK4... I got 62 on average in Holland but we were doing a fairly consistent 60mpg in 6th gear most of the way. The remap helped too, more power and more MPG!

Not sure about the newer stuff but anyone should be able to get 50+ out of a 1.9 PD engine under normal driving - if not then it's either soemthing wrong with it like a MAF issue or a cack re-map. Infact the only time I've seen less than 50mpg was over the last winter becuase it was so bl00dy cold.

I average 50mpg in mine and Ive regulary seen 62-63mpg on the motorway when sitting at a about 70mph. It does 45mpg at a constant 90mph!!! This is all MFA readings though, Ive yet to back it up with simple fuel distance calcs.

I average 50mpg in mine and Ive regulary seen 62-63mpg on the motorway when sitting at a about 70mph. It does 45mpg at a constant 90mph!!! This is all MFA readings though, Ive yet to back it up with simple fuel distance calcs.

Well mine seems to underread by 3-5 MPG but I know the speedo is set perfectly to the correct speed tested with sat nav...

I never get less than 500 miles to a tank of fuel and I have the smaller 55l tank - usually stick in arounf 45 ltrs - ie 10 Gallons.

That was probably me then when we went to Holland - 26th to the 30th May??

26052010064.jpg

26052010063.jpg

26052010062.jpg

worse pics ever :lol: i wasn't actually on the ferry, a friend spotted you.

Saw a Scirocco with a TDi engine going around Castle-Combe. It was very rapid and surprisingly noisy! Diesel's are very clever engines now, and I think (for an everyday car) they are better and faster than their petrol equivalents (I'm talking naturally-aspirated here) because of the amount of torque the engines produce.

As for the 'made-up and doubled' MPG readings, I'd have to disagree with that comment totally :bad-words: If a diesel is producing 45mpg on a motorway run at sensible speeds, you have to question the health of the engine (or the number of people in the car and the amount of weight you're carrying in the boot :lol:). At steady motorway cruising my diesel sat around 55mpg, and at sensible motorway cruising I managed to get up to 65mpg. The miles between fill-ups (I always reset my trip miles after I refill) on that occasion verified that the on-board computer was telling the truth :grin:

As for the conversion - I'd say it would be nice to see a few more of these and imagine it would increase the re-sell value. Of course, I sold my diesel to get back into big petrol engines and many people are anti-diesel anyway, but I'd never say no to a diesel 'Rado - especially as a daily runner. And people can't deny that modern diesels are no longer sluggish and noisy. It's a damn good compromise that should keep the Corrado going for a long time yet :grin:

Good luck - and be sure to make a build thread if you go for it :salute:

I drive all cars the same way and I've never realised the claimed mpgs from any of the cars I've owned / driven, and I don't *always* drive fast, honest! :D

If that makes me lead footed, so be it, but that is half my point. People often say "60mpg", (for argument's sake) but don't mention the conditions where that is achieved. Any car is economical cruising at a steady state and the slower and the taller the gear, the better. Diesels do definitely have an advantage there though. Very tall gearing and much finer fuel metering than petrol engines.

Under normal and hard acceleration, you still need to burn 200hp's worth of fuel to get 200hp's worth of performance though. But there again, diesels can't rev for long due to the fuel burning so slowly, so an early upshift is encouraged.

My mate's old BMW 535d actually used more fuel than my VRT, point to point, when racing eachother....but his was an auto to be fair and heavier. My point being it's not Black and White that diesels are always more frugal than petrols.

I always did like your TDI Steve and 60mpg makes it even more impressive if that's what you can extract from it! I like fact the original installer used the proper MK4 engine mounts and gearbox, otherwise I don't think the final result would have been as good.

I reckon you should wide track it with VR6 running gear and have one of the best handling diesels around, LOL!

I drive all cars the same way and I've never realised the claimed mpgs from any of the cars I've owned / driven, and I don't *always* drive fast, honest! :D

If that makes me lead footed, so be it, but that is half my point. People often say "60mpg", (for argument's sake) but don't mention the conditions where that is achieved. Any car is economical cruising at a steady state and the slower and the taller the gear, the better. Diesels do definitely have an advantage there though. Very tall gearing and much finer fuel metering than petrol engines.

Under normal and hard acceleration, you still need to burn 200hp's worth of fuel to get 200hp's worth of performance though. But there again, diesels can't rev for long due to the fuel burning so slowly, so an early upshift is encouraged.

My mate's old BMW 535d actually used more fuel than my VRT, point to point, when racing eachother....but his was an auto to be fair and heavier. My point being it's not Black and White that diesels are always more frugal than petrols.

I always did like your TDI Steve and 60mpg makes it even more impressive if that's what you can extract from it! I like fact the original installer used the proper MK4 engine mounts and gearbox, otherwise I don't think the final result would have been as good.

I reckon you should wide track it with VR6 running gear and have one of the best handling diesels around, LOL!

Ah the old 4 cylinder handling Vs 6 cylinder handling debate :)

You are quite right Kev fuel economy has far more to do with road conditions and driving style than anything else, my average MPG over last winter was shocking. If you consider the extra drag loading on a wet road compared to dry one then it becomes clear just how many small things can make a big difference; even tyre choice can see 10% gains in MPG.

LOL - Interestingly Chris was glad to have driven the valver to Scotland - reckoned it was far better on the tighter roads than the VR would have been - better turn it etc.

LOL - Interestingly Chris was glad to have driven the valver to Scotland - reckoned it was far better on the tighter roads than the VR would have been - better turn it etc.

what, even up those mountains in a 1.8 valver :) good job it's got such a low ratio gearbox,

which leads me on to the deezil, 6 speed overdrive must add a few mpg on top and low revs compared to a petrol is what makes the most difference.

Have to say, when I drove a 1.9 fabia estate :pukeright: I was astonished at the mpg readout, couldn't get it lower than 45 caning it around town, I'd have got about 25 if I was lucky doing the same in my 1.6 golf!

Brother in laws Octavia 1.9 (110) would easily do 60 on a steady motorway run, the VW TDI's are very thermally efficient, so much so that people complain they don't warm the cabin enough in winter :lol:

Still don't like the TDI power band though, and for the mileage I do a TDI doesn't make sense £££ wise all considered.

I can see a big BM TD auto might be a nice cruiser though.

the VW TDI's are very thermally efficient, so much so that people complain they don't warm the cabin enough in winter :lol:

Would agree with that. On the original topic though, a diesel is still a tractor engine to me. They are good at what they do but I bloody hate the noise / power delivery. Couldnt see me ever putting one in a Corrado.

I think it's pretty awesome personally. I have to admit, the PD engine installed in a Corrado is LOUD - you're never in any doubt what you're driving but it pulls really nicely and the economy is excellent.

Not sure I'd do it myself either as I simply don't do the miles. But it's a good conversion and something a bit unique! :)

Anybody have any idea on cost to do the conversion though????????

Go to a vag tuner and expect to pay 1.8t conversion prices so anywhere between 3 and 5k i guess.

Anybody have any idea on cost to do the conversion though????????

Go to a vag tuner and expect to pay 1.8t conversion prices so anywhere between 3 and 5k i guess.

Didn't realise it was that much :gag: