kerrly

My Nugget - USA G60 - more new bits

Looks great that mate , did you do all the work on your drive then ? Either way thats some good effort going in to the car i bet it will all look great wen its back together

^ thanks :-)

Yep with the exception of the slam panel respray I have done everything else myself and on the drive, which is partly why it is taking so long. I booked a couple of days off weeks ago to work on the car and by the time the days came the weather had changed and car was under 8 inches of snow. The car cover had literally frozen to the paint so I was too scarred to touch it.

Anyhow, yesterday was a productive day. I got my self a complete back axle which will be stripped/powder coated and have new bushes & brakes prior to being fitted.

I also got myself a Ray Metallfabrik full exhaust system including decat and a 4 branch manifold, yes I wanted to keep the car mostly original but my god once its been polished it is a sexy bit of metal work and with a 4.5inch x 3.5inch oval end piece it is factory "look" and fits the gap in the rear bumper perfectly.

DSC_0562_zps6d7f2935.jpg

Very nice build-thread :)

You then become aware of what luxury a garage can be, respect to you for having done it all in the open!

Tempest

Cheers.

I do have 2 garages ,one full of parts and one has my bros mk2 polo bready in which is having a 16v afh conversion which relegated my corrado:-(

Once the corrado is finished I doubt it will see a night on the drive again!

Next few jobs this weekend are getting the back axle, calipers, tank straps ,backing plates powder coated and get some new bushes and brake pipes organised. Ideally I want the entire axle built off the car as it means less time on the drive.

Also want to start preparing the boot floor and rear arches for paint and seebwhat condition the heat shields are in. Thinking vht paint will work but also considering swapping the rattly metal for half inch thick heatproof sound deadening material- anyone done this??

a few new bits

DSC_0576_zps57e66bbd.jpg

and stripping the old stuff, discs were nasty and the pads were kinda welded to them.

DSC_0577_zps86a9f5d6.jpg

DSC_0579_zps0e2e1c8c.jpg

I was really surprised how easy the top mounts came off - a rarity given how many of the buggers i've done. The green springs are Weitec -30mm which will be going on Bilstein sport shocks

DSC_0581_zps5dd1973b.jpg

apart from the hubs & carriers most of this is scrap now, rest is going to be painted.

DSC_0585_zps3598a1fa.jpg

This is what happens to cars that sit around by the seaside - rust rust rust

DSC_0587_zpsd6dfe405.jpg

Next on the list im now thinking new CV joints as well.

New steel brake flexis are on route from C&R, wheel bearings are ready to.

Once we have some more dry weather I will finish spraying all the inner arches and then begin rebuilding the front end.

After finishing the front its off with the exhaust, strip off the heat shields, finish painting the underside yellow and then get the back axle off before painting an refurb - new brake dust shields/wheel bearings/calipers/axle bushes etc.

rue, I have been sidetracked a fair bit recently doing a few weekends worth of work on Mike's Corrado - which now sports a few nice upgrades (il sort his thread seperately)

A few more bits nearly ready to go back on.

1) refurbed callipers, new slider pins, new rubber seals and pistons.

DSC_0609_zpsb6b75e88.jpg

2) Goodridge stainless steel hoses all round

3) put the front suspension, weitec -30mm springs, new top mounts, hubs, new cv, gaitors, ball joints etc on

DSC_0754_zpscb8ac4bd.jpg

DSC_0753_zps45c13812.jpg

4) subframe, anti roll bar (standard for now an brush painted as it is getting replaced at a later date with a eibach)

DSC_0758_zpsc172f044.jpg

I realise the picture quality is rubbish:-(

Planning on MOTing it with the standard exhaust and cat , then remove it all to replace with the 4 branch/straight through system...

Then to the rear I still need to

1) sort a new fuel pump bracket - going to try VW but expect il end up needing 2nd hand or make one

2) new fuel tank straps - proving hard to find!!!

3) finish some metal work & painting on the spare wheel well/back valence

What I have done is find all the parts except for a bonnet cable set up (I think) to complete the front end. New grill, my original G60 badge, a clean set of lights and the entire front end is now held together with polished bolts.

DSC_0846_zps7093c1d9.jpg

driver's wiring is nearly there, just need to attach new VW connectors

DSC_0854_zps9c342188.jpg

passenger also just needs final connector to do away with those horrible pin connectors

DSC_0853_zps1c798b91.jpg

gave the wiper a spruce, most of the engine bay components have been sprayed the same colour/finish

DSC_0858_zps71e1e7f7.jpg

rear suspension and brakes, new Bilstein shocks with weitec springs now black - for subtlety. I'm thinking of applying some kind of black sound deadening material to the inner arches to make them quieter and easier to clean... any suggestions?

DSC_0847_zpsd3bae58e.jpg

finally, for anyone out there who has a early pre 1990 Corrado, can you check if your window rubbers look like this:

DSC_0849_zpse9d38510.jpg

On a seperate note, I've also swapped my daily car from a Citroen Xsara 1.6 16v

to something that is more reliable, newer and cheaper to run. NOT

It's a VR6 8-)

c85d33a2-b5bc-4655-959c-cbf3e49a33b4_zpseac63a2c.jpg

DSC_0934_zpsbf7dcd83.jpg

27dea077-524b-4c72-a217-4a4d05d7ea59_zps8585885b.jpg

Sorry if some of the text seams out of context, i copied four separate posts from another forum.

I will start another thread for the daily.

I haven't updated this in ages, the car is still in bits but is getting closer to seeing the road again.

The list of jobs to do now is:

- cam belt & waterpump

- charger belt (extra wide OCD item)

- obtain new rocker cover bolts

- fit new brake reservoir

- refit rear suspension

- refit the front wiper mechanism

- get the lips on the BBS RZ 15x7 rims which I want to run diamond cut and fit 195/50 Yoko AD08s

only recent(ish) pictures were halfway through finishing the rear underside

DSC_0279_zpsm0rnq3po.jpg

note the back axle is in red oxide and is now gloss black as it's my "test" fit axle. I have a complete built axle which will be swapped at a later date.

inside rear arches painted to.

DSC_0275_zpssdc3fz2i.jpg

Then I think* it is good to go to a mates garage where we will make all new brake lines to join up to the Goodridge hoses and Audi S2 twin pot caliper set up I've got.

After which it's MOT and hopefully my summer car!

The VR6 is still going fine, I think once the yellow one is on the road I may start converting the VR6 to a track car or flog it.

Keep up the good work mate, lovely car and nice upgrades :) So awesome to have air con too!