Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Please not the head gasket (VR6) !!

Hi all

Noticed a sort of slight hot oil/burning smell over the last couple of days on my 12 mile motorway journey to work. I'm not thrashing it and the temp is fine - tends to get up to around 90degrees on the computer by the time I arrive. Anyway, today I checked under the bonnet and there is some slight mayo in the filler cap. I've searched under "gasket" on the forum and it would appear this should be nothing to worry about - just looking for some comforting words really. Car runs great and smooth by the way. Please tell me some good news - or any other symptoms I should check for. Any thoughts on the oily smell too ?? Cheers all !!

Have you inspected the rocker gasket to check oil isn't leaking onto the exhaust manifold? You only need a tiny amount to give off a faint whiff of burning oil, which is then drawn into the car via the heater fan, making it seem worse than it actually is. A small amount of mayo is normal for you short journey people really ought to take the car out for a damn good thrape one weekend and burn it off! And the carbon build up on the piston crowns/valve seats.

90 degrees ain't enough to boil any dissolved water out of the oil...

Also, there's a small plastic shield that protects the filler cap from being sprayed with hot oil, so you really have to do some significant miles to clear the mayo once it starts to form.

My rocker gasket is seeping slightly too, and yes I get the odd whiff of oil burn, along with the odd whiff of unburnt petrol (mainly from VERY cold starts), so none of these things is unusual.

Just the way it is.

Thanks for the comforting words guys - I will check the rocker cover and I like the excuse for a good thrape at the weekend - fingers crossed for a crisp dry Saturday!!!

The other thing to check is the pipe that runs from the breather of the cam cover to the inlet tract.

It runs directly above the heatshield for the exhaust, so guess where any drips land.