Sign in to follow this  
robbie_d

Suspension kit for VR6

Hi Guys,

Got a VR6 running totally stock suspension, and standard wheels.

Looking to take it down 35-40mm all round, but not looking for an uber-firm ride, just something to enhance the handling whilst not giving passengers chronic back problems.

Haven't got an unlimited budget, about £500 absolute tops, but am able to do the fitting myself.

Basically after some advice as to what I should be looking for in terms of shocks and springs (or even whether coilovers are the way to go). Anyone got any recommendations?

P.S. Thinking of fitiing and Eibach ARB kit too, if that has any bearing on results.

Right then.

KW seem to have the best price/performance reputation here.

However, even the V1s are a little outside my range.

Does anyone have any experience of the KW suspension kit (non-coilovers):

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=kwsuspensionkits&car=vwcorrado&manufacturer=kw&sub_category=1

Pretty much the drop I'm after and a shade under £400.

Thoughts?

Koni top adjustables with H&R springs. Had them on my old car and loved the combo.

heard a lot about that combo

Koni top adjustables with H&R springs. Had them on my old car and loved the combo.

What sort of cash would I be looking at for those?

Best supplier?

I've seen reference to people putting Koni STR.T suspension on their Corrado, but according to the Koni website, they don;t do a Corrado specific STR.T kit. Does the kit for a different model fit the Corrado?

Best supplier?

unfortunately they're probably closer to the £600 than £500 mark, but mainly because they have adjustable damping. lots of people have the weitecs coils and say they're pretty harsh. a couple of people have the weitec shocks and springs and say they are a bit less extreme (but that's probably down to them not putting the car so low). i still havent heard of anyone trying the KW springs/shocks but i would certainly be tempted if i was looking. i imagine the ride would still be firm but a bit more forgiving than the weitecs.

Best supplier?

unfortunately they're probably closer to the £600 than £500 mark, but mainly because they have adjustable damping. lots of people have the weitecs coils and say they're pretty harsh. a couple of people have the weitec shocks and springs and say they are a bit less extreme (but that's probably down to them not putting the car so low). i still havent heard of anyone trying the KW springs/shocks but i would certainly be tempted if i was looking. i imagine the ride would still be firm but a bit more forgiving than the weitecs.

KW Shocks and springs are around the £385 mark, which is looking like a winner at the moment...

until you get to about £700-800 then its almost always just height adjustment and very little else..

Unless your getting expensive one no advantage other than being able to get the perfect ride height. Personally dont like the cheaper versions as Ive seen the adjuster platforms corrode and crack plus if you dont protect the threads they can sieze.

I still prefer "normal" shocks and springs.

Ah, well that actually helps a lot.

I'm only looking for 30-40mm drop and have no interest in adjusting ride height, which I guess means springs and shocks are probably the best way to go (plus will likely save me a few quid for other bits and pieces).

As far as I can tell, the reputable names (i.e. not ebay specials) offering suspension kits in my price range (which is £500 absolute max, preferably a bit less) are:

KW about £380

Weitec Ultra GT about £360

AP about £260

(all three the same company?)

FK Hi-Tech about £230

Bilstein Streetline about £250

Spax VSX about £330

Apex about £295

I'm sure there are others, plus there would be the option of buying shocks and springs separately (surely shocks and springs from the same manufacturer would be better matched? perhaps not).

I've had Bilstein OE stuff on Golfs in the past and they've been pretty good, so the Bilstein streetline at that price is attractive, although I've heard nothing about them (not sure if that is good or bad!).

I'm guessing on here though I would be told KW or Weitech!

EDIT: Looks like the Bilstein Streetline aren't available for VR6.

EDIT 2: Or the Apex

The search continues...

I've come to the conclusion that there is such a thing as too much choice.

I'm leaning towards the Weitec Ultra GT suspension kit at the moment, available for about £360.

Rang CES just to have a look at what they offer, they do shocks by Monroe (Reflex I think was the model) as well as lowering springs by Lesjofors. All in, kit would cost £338.

Think I'm still better off with the Weitec Ultra GT.

One other options would be OE shocks with the Lesjofors springs (30mm drop) which would be about £260. I'm not sure whether lowering springs with stock shocks is a good idea though.

Unfortunately the more pleasant coilovers out there have attracted a massive scene tax these days (blamed on steel shortages), which has opened up a market for cheaper alternatives, which depending on the source, the reviews range from utter cr@p, to acceptable.

With your requirements in mind, I personally would be looking at Bilstein B8 dampers and 325lb front springs, 228lb rear springs (60nm & 40nm). I think this is doable within your budget. They are the companies renowned gas monotubes, which are superb.

The Eibach ARBs would compliment that setup beautifully.

I've also seen a new B10 kit, which I can't comment on, priced around £450 inc VAT. These aren't the gas monos tho sadly.

A bit beyond your budget is the superb B12 kit, but the extra £150 is well worth it imo.

HTH

I used to be a big fan of the Koni / H&R combo too, and indeed had them on my Corrado and the MK2s before it, but I can no longer recommend them. They appear to have dropped the ball when it comes to quality these days.

Unfortunately the more pleasant coilovers out there have attracted a massive scene tax these days (blamed on steel shortages), which has opened up a market for cheaper alternatives, which depending on the source, the reviews range from utter cr@p, to acceptable.

With your requirements in mind, I personally would be looking at Bilstein B8 dampers and 325lb front springs, 228lb rear springs (60nm & 40nm). I think this is doable within your budget. They are the companies renowned gas monotubes, which are superb.

The Eibach ARBs would compliment that setup beautifully.

I've also seen a new B10 kit, which I can't comment on, priced around £450 inc VAT. These aren't the gas monos tho sadly.

A bit beyond your budget is the superb B12 kit, but the extra £150 is well worth it imo.

HTH

I used to be a big fan of the Koni / H&R combo too, and indeed had them on my Corrado and the MK2s before it, but I can no longer recommend them. They appear to have dropped the ball when it comes to quality these days.

Cheers for the comprehensive reply Kev.

Bilstein are definitely a brand I wouldn't mind going for, having had their gear on cars I've owned in the past.

I've had a look at a couple of places, but I can't seem to see the B8 dampers or B10 kit. Where have you seen them?

Re: springs, any particular brand to pair with the B8s?

Actually, looking into it more, they don't list a B10 for the VR6 platform, just the low powered VWs.

With Bilstein stuff, you're better of searching under Golf III VR6 as Bilstein class the Corrado as a 'Variant', which can trip up some online searches.

Have a word with Julian at Balancemotorsport.co.uk I'm sure he said he could do a B8 kit (I forget the springs it came with) for around £500.

I reckon even just B8 dampers with a couple of coils lopped off the stock springs would work well, but don't say I recommended it :wink: it's only when you go mad and chop a standard spring in half do things get hairy. The B8s are a shortended damper to match shorter springs, so it should work well :D

Well...

Bilstein B8s all round and a set of Apex springs coming out at £579.26 on balancemotorsport and that is including the £50 Bilstein discount which ends midnight tonight.

Unfortunately looks like it will be out of budget...

The B8s are pricier that I thought then! Still good value at that price for the performance imo, but if it's over budget....