Sign in to follow this  
sparks

oil temps is this high update changed the rad all done

hi guys /girls

while driving last night at a steady 80mph for a while like an hour the oil temp rose to 134 deg C

i know it was a warm night 24 degs C but never seen it that high for that speed

i have an oil cooler fitted mounted next to the rad so just wondering what if anything could make it shoot so high

usually i have about 120 reading at that speed the water temp was fine at 80 deg C so basically am i worrying about nothing or is the engine running hot for some strange reason ??

what do you people get on your oil temp gauge at that speed

runing a G60 with 68 and standard intercooler and sns chip

cheers stu....

yeah thats high!

80 mph in 5th is hardly hard driving .

I wouldn't see 120 degrees in mine at that speed either tbh what with all the air coming into the front of the car at those speeds.

after a run get it on VAGCOM if you can and check the actual temp reading, it may be that the clocks are faulty. My clocks suddenly started flying up showing temps of 120C. Pulled over as i thought something was ary, opened the bonnet and engine bay temps appeared pretty much ok. Swopped the clocks out and they never showed over 98C, then again i have a mocal fitted too.

mmmm might clean the termial on the sender i thinks first like i say i had only evey seen it go 135 when racing it

normal like yourselfs 116 at 80mph

cheers stu ..

anyone got the vw part number for the oil sensor

ahhhh it is fixed

water pump failed

must have been on the way out and not pumping enough of the cool stuff around hence making the oil work harder

took it for a blast yesterday at 100 mph on a private stretch of road i know (the m6 lol) and it rose to about 126 deg but then stay steady there dropping down to 124 and back to 126

and even better news cus i fitted a new stat its not opening till 87 which brings off the cold map lovely so better mpg the old stat must have been passing cus it never got above 80 before and i think the cold map starts to come off at 70 (someone correct me if im wrong)

stu ....

ahhhh it is fixed

water pump failed

must have been on the way out and not pumping enough of the cool stuff around hence making the oil work harder

took it for a blast yesterday at 100 mph on a private stretch of road i know (the m6 lol) and it rose to about 126 deg but then stay steady there dropping down to 124 and back to 126

and even better news cus i fitted a new stat its not opening till 87 which brings off the cold map lovely so better mpg the old stat must have been passing cus it never got above 80 before and i think the cold map starts to come off at 70 (someone correct me if im wrong)

stu ....

Never owned a G but 120+ at a 100mph still seems high to me. My valver at that speed used to sit at 100-108 deg and my vr does it at about 100, the highest reading i had was on my test track where i got 116 deg at 140ish in the vr... the valver hated rainy days though for some reason and once saw 128 deg after 4 hours of stop start traffic lol.

At least the G's running well now eh... :D

Yeah that's definitely too high. Mine ran a little higher than I liked but a new rad and coolant and it runs much cooler! I do mean oil temps not water by the way.

What sort of condition is your radiator in? Old ones just don't seem to be half as effective as new ones in my recent experience.

Also I put a little less coolant in, as water is a lot better at cooling than coolant. Now down to 1.5 litres coolant in the system from 2 litres.

100mph used to equal 112-114 degrees for me (on a VR) which i thought was too much so i got a mocal cooler. as before, if you already have one then 124 is waaaay too high and its not fixed at all..

the rad pretty old and slighty leaks on the top plastic eblow only very slightly like i see the odd white corroded mark there

trying to save for a radtech rad and intercooler all in one but at 850 notes finding it hard and something always comes up before it (£200 of water pump didnt help)

so i kinda know the rads passed it

might have to take the plunge and buy a new rad for the short term to kill the temps although winters coming soon and that should help

mmmm going to call gsf see how much the rads

cheers stu ..

mmmm thinking surely is my rad failing my water temp would be higher ???

on a recent run i had only 80-90 on the water temps

getting confused.com someone help ill change the rad but at 105 quid do i really need to if the problem is else where !!

if the rads at fault does the temp go though the roof ?

cheers stu ..

I get 110-116 degree oil temp at 220 kmph and will stay there but thats foot to the floor on the autobahn. :norty:

at 80 mph you should be less than 110 degrees,so 120+ indicates problem.

ahhhhhhhh rad changed new coolant job done

temps on oil are know around 100 normal driving going up to 104 106 after a bit a spirited driving but then cool back down to 100 -98

after

before it would just get up to 110 driving around town

the fun bit was changing the rad with out the manual took me 2 hours to work out which bolt was holding it where i had the lights out the horns out air box off grill off half the super charging pipes off and about to take front slam panel off when i noticed 2 screws holding the plastic cowling to the rad took them off and the rad fell out practicily

ooo haynes how i cursed you for not making a manual

That sounds much more like it, sometimes parts like this make a surprising difference. I for one was surprised at the difference.