Sign in to follow this  
funboxvr6

MOT Failure - Any Help Appreciated

Hi All

My N Reg VR has failed it's MOT today on

Front Macherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment (2.5.A.1c) - Both sides

Nearside brake load sensing valve linkage seized (2.6.E.4)

Was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on

1) Which parts may need replacing/repairing

2) If any special tools etc are required (eg clamps etc)

3) The size of the jobs

Any help greatly appreciated

Many thanks

load sensing linkage needs a good soak in wd 40 and a wire brush. followed by some lube.

no idea on rest :D

it's your topmounts.

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 23&t=94562

The rubber doughnut that sits between the top of your suspension struts and your chassis.

Spring compressor is needed and a 22mm deepset ring spanner along with the correct size allen key sprocket for removing the suspension securing bolt at the top of the strut.

Please please don't round the allen key recess off,(People tend to do them up too tight) or a half hour job will take you alot longer.

He cant fail it on the top mounts if he checked them in while the car is jacked up,only excessive movement if found when on the ground,he should know better...

Load valve probably wants some wd40 and working to free it off.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_250.htm

Note: some MacPherson strut top bushes are designed to have lateral play when the suspension is hanging free. Rejection is only justified when play Is due to wear and/or maladjustment, etc.

Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated

Will query with the garage in the morning as to whether the car was jacked for the Macpherson strut test or not. Having since dug out my last MOT this was an advisory last year at the same garage, different inspector though & didn't take the advise note/old MOT today. Relevent?

Regarding the brake valve linkage, I'll give it a go with the WD40, anyone have a photo of what to spray it at?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help

Cheers

Im a tester and i know that when you print of the VT40 check list it adds a note to vehicles with special notices,it would have been there on the VT40 also he should just pass and advise to cover his ass...

get the drivers side rear jacked up and look just in front of the axle,you will see the bias valve,work wd40 onto the valve pivot by just tugging on it up and down until nice and free....thats a pass.

a pic of said valve to look for...

http://www.performance-cafe.com/images/1h0612151c.jpg

CorradoVR6-Turbo - Thanks, I really appreciate the help, sorry for sounding a div but should I quote the VT40 check list info to the tester then? If not any advice on how should I approach it?

The valve will be WD40'd and waggled tomorrow, thanks for the pic - I assume there's one on each side of the car as nearside is quoted on the fail?

Cheers

No there is just one valve,it does both sides.

DONT go in quoting the mot testing guides as the tester is likely to get his heckles up and refuse to help and tell you to appeal which will cost you 50 quid and time and hassle.

Just go in say you freed the compensator off and have a chat saying the top mounts are supposed to have movement when jacked up and it locates into a cone once loaded and on the ground and ask do they have movement once on the ground? ask him to show you?

OK been under the car today, if I'm looking at the right thing, the valve has 4 thin brake pipes going to it and a sprung linkage, just in front of the rear axle (it's on the passenger side on mine)

If this is it, it doesn't seem to be seized - the linkage moves approx 5mm when I push or pull it. I've sprayed it with WD40 and waggled it some more but it doesn't want to move more than that. Is that normal? Is there any other way to test it's functioning ok, should it move when the brake is applied (I'm doing this on my own so have to wedge the brake pedal down)?

Cheers for any help

Thanks

it should move when the brake pedal is applied(you need to watch it as someone applies pressure),not much as should the lever,give the lever a real good hard pull towards its self until the little piston starts to move.

CorradoVR6-Turbo have done what you advised thank you.

The lever now moves when the brake pedal is pressed, but not by much, in fact it's almost imperceptle to see but if you put your finger on it you can feel it. I think it moved more the first time the pedal was applied, but could be mistaken.

Is this normal? Do I now have a working valve?

Thanks

I popped in, mentioned your name, they handed me a green ticket, didn't even blink!

Seriously I went down there, a different dude was testing today. I explained that I'd freed the valve but would like to have a chat about the top mounts as I'd been advised they were supposed to be like that etc (explained what you said). I must say he was very compliant and after reading the notes, having a look & a phone call with his area manger said 'yep your mate's right, you can't be failed on that' & stuck it in as an advisory.

So YAY thanks loads