Sign in to follow this  
Fulltimejunglist

Water pump

Do you think i should do this as i have little experience but have done all other things to my car which has been needed its jsut im sure i will have to use a torch wrench whic i currently dont have and im sure this involves soemthing to do with the timing belt which, i have no ideas about and dont want to muller my currently running nicley but over heating car....

ill be doing it on my drive with dodgey equipment but im usually fine...

thanks alot

No need to touch the timing belt my friend.

Just be methodical and use the right tools for the job I.e a good spline key set to remove allen bolts.

Your only slight differculty may be getting the tensioner system back on,as it can be a bugger to compress.Lots of brute force ad a swear jar should do it.

where abouts are you?

i changed the water pump on my 16v a few weeks back.its not a hard job.get the complete pump tho

get a genuine one too, they're still around £30 from the dealer in exchange for your other one

oh, and a new thermostat and coolant flange'll be a good idea to change too.... test the 'stat in a pan of boiling water 1st though to check it operates correctly. You'll also need a couple of bottles of g12++ coolant to mix up and refill the system

aha ncie one mate.

I did the thermostat and boiled the old one and it poped out so 5er waisted there, i think its actually my belts slipping on the water pup, not turning it thus the over heating problem.. to solve this i think i also need a adjustable PAS bolt which are about £13 from VW, as the person who owned the car before me has left this round as hell so i cant do anything at the moment.

Sound for the help mate.

get the drive belt and power steering pump belt while you're there,

they're only a few quid each, well worth replacing while you're down that end of the engine

sweet then, cheers mate should be fairly easy then tbh.

Also ound today that im either leaking out of my caliper on the back or out of the break line, break line was very corroeded and the pads ran out and i used it for a while after, which has now stopped any pressure staying in the breaks filled it up and it jsut pisses it back out behind my back wheel...

Do you think this could be the caliper and would it also mean that the rubber seal is broken, needing a new one?

Cheers

Regards Aidan

aha tah mate, this will be fun.

Are g60 breaks better than mine, obviously they are but is it worth up grading them to g60s or are there better breaks out there for around the same price?

I was thinking of porsche breaks theres a few corrados on here with some smart breaks which id imagine stop very well so i wouldnt mind getting a set of them, obviously r32 etc etc

Im not sure what needs to fit to be able to use them, (Does the width of the hub make differences, stud pattern etc etc) Sorry its just, you dont know unless you ask so.... ill ask

Your all more intellectually charmed with echanics than me.

Im learning.

Regards Aidan