Sign in to follow this  
h6 vwc

R32 sump

hey all, was out a few days ago enjoying the c32 and being a prat and running it too low i smashed and holed the sump on a speed hump!! :cry:

anyways im in the process of taking the sump off, ive removed the 26? m8 spline bolts, however i think its also silicone gasketted onto the block. best way to remove this?? shall i heat it up.....if so blowtorch or heat gun? thanks in advance...

just get a sharp blade in there and prise off a section so you can get your fingers in there, and give it a tug.

+1,

get a narrow flatblade screwdriver in there for a bit of leverage and just prise it off a bit at a time

thanks guys, tried with a screwdriver but was finding it difficult. will give it another shot tomorrow. the hole in the sump is probably half an inch squared. howver the engine did not lose a drop of oil until i switched it off futher down the road. is this as the engine was on and sucking air thru the hole keeping the oil in whilst the oil pump circulated it around the engine? thanks

There's plastic baffles in there and the rate at which the oil pump is sucking oil up probably exceeded the flow of 1/2" square hole?

I always said the 24V ally sumps don't shatter into a billion peices when struck, so thanks for proving me right, at your expense :D

lol no worries Kev, its been learning for me aswell....dnt run that low!! got the sump off and as funds are low had it ali welded, gonna put back on after i replace the damn dual mass flywheel on my brothers golf.... :(

I think 'c32' is probably a big clue, but is yours R32 converted then mate?

It's interesting because I've seen a couple of R32s in Corrados where the sump is pretty low to the ground, but I have an R32 sump on my 12V and it's about 2cm above the subframe, so I can go real loooooooooow :D

Actually, it did get whacked about a bit in January up in the Lake district from the big ridge of ice in the middle of the road, but it took it like a man :salute: :D

lol to took it like a man! i think the guy that made my down pipe just cursed mine cos he said id crack the sump at my ride height!! yeh ive gt a mk5 32 block in mine, but to be fair probably a 60-80mm drop (1 finger in the arch), it also sits below the subframe so i was aking for trouble!!

That sounds odd, possibly means that the VR6 engine sits higher than the r32 but has a lower sump, therefore when putting the r32 engine in means the sump is at the same height? Or am i talking crap.

And all this talk of the vr6 sump being almost bulletproof is crap as well, i hit mine 3 times and on the 3rd it put a hole in it. That was from bottoming it out on the road as well not hitting a speed bump or anything. I run fairly low but not as low as some people i've seen

Sorry to go off topic guys, has anyone tried raising the engine with modded mounts? Alot of mk3 guys do it but im not sure theres enough clearance between the bonnet and inlet. Mine isnt even low and the sumps very close to the floor, similar to how my valvers was and that was a good 2inches lower all round!!

I've been fingered with a 1 finger gap too and the sump has been miles off the deck :D That is with 17s mind, which tend to jack the car up a little on their own.

Yes my standard steel sump was dented and looking sorry for itself when I bought the car, and had a pin hole leak just before the drain plug where the metal folded and split.

I don't like raising or lowering engines off their intended operating angle. It can cause premature CV and transmission bearing wear. Vibratechnics go to great lengths to ensure their mounts are the same height as a compressed standard mount, so clearly it's important :D

i will have to check mine 'cus Im sure it looked higher that the subframe, but I did also drop the rear of the engine by an inch to allow for the dubpower exhaust to work without clashing on anything

The sumps do shatter, my mate had an r32 sump on his vr. we ended up hitting a tree sump and suffice to say it shattered well but that was an extreme impact. it left shards of ali in the tree stump