Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fixed Height Column Mod - Parts List?

Thanks to an offer from davidwort to tackle this job on my 16v, was wondering if anyone had a complete parts list of what you need to purchase to undertake the swap?

I have a steering column off a 6N Polo already so can tick that off....... what else do I need? :|

The shame. Put to rights by one of the new mods ;) I searched for about 5 minutes and didn't find bugger all!! :|

I'm going to be doing this as well soon. Jim, I'm guessing you won't need to come watch then if Dave is helping you with yours?

I did mine last year,you wont regret it !

I used all new parts,apart from the ignition barrel as i didnt want two keys. Seven months later ignition barrel broke !

Take my advice and put a new barrel and switch on.

It doesnt take long to retumble the locks,thanks to Kevhaywires thread.

I'm going to be doing this as well soon. Jim, I'm guessing you won't need to come watch then if Dave is helping you with yours?

can't we arrange a column tackling party?

... no, hang on, that doesn't sound right does it?

Would be up for that. Can afford to get the parts fairly soon.. assuming you'd be up for that Rob / Kev?

I took my fixed height column off my old corrado, whats all this talk of using a polo one, is it just for ease and availability?

The Polo 6N part is a straight swap for the Corrado variable height one, but cause it's from a Polo, it can be sourced nice and cheap. I got mine for a tenner in an auto jumble :)

I'd be up for it, up to Kev if he wants to come really as he was originally coming up to help me with mine but wouldn't neccessarily need his help if we're all doing it. Was going to make a day of it whilst also fitting my new suspension etc so Kev only needed to make one journey.

I haven't got any parts yet. I should be getting a 2nd hand corrado fixed column though from a valver, so will I just need to change the UJ etc over to my VR6 specific one? What other parts would I need then other than the fixed column surrounds? I'd be hoping to keep my ignition barrel as well.

Well Dave and I could leave you and Kev to it, and just compare notes if we get stuck - as Dave has done the fixed height mod before as well hence him volunteering to help me out :) Just would be good to have another pair of brains there in case something weird happens - but also might be a bit of a social :)

Well Dave and I could leave you and Kev to it, and just compare notes if we get stuck - as Dave has done the fixed height mod before as well hence him volunteering to help me out :) Just would be good to have another pair of brains there in case something weird happens - but also might be a bit of a social :)

Well I also think it would be a good social, might even get a few others interested.

My suspension is going to be another 2 weeks or so, but I could pretty much start ordering parts for the column now so could do that sooner. No doubt Kev will be along shortly :wave:

Sounds good to me :) I'll scour that thread I was linked to earlier by dukest and get stuff ordered.

If it's of any use, I get 10% off at my stealer... I could order your parts if you supply me with what you need? Or do you get money off at your stealers too?

... so will I just need to change the UJ etc over to my VR6 specific one? What other parts would I need then other than the fixed column surrounds? I'd be hoping to keep my ignition barrel as well.

UJ shouldn't be an issue, I think it's just the UJ to rack splines that changed from early to late corrados.

you can use your lock barrel on the old fixed column if you are happy drilling the little hole to release the lock barrel on the fixed column, in theory it makes the car easier to steal as the lock could be popped out more easily by someone who knew what they were doing, but in practice I would have thought you have an immobiliser anyway.

you need a couple of regular bolts to replace the shear bolts (same spec as the original lower column tube to dash ones), and some fat washers if you like the steering column really low :)

Will note down (and price up!) all those parts tonight and go see my friendly stealer tomorrow hopefully :)

... so will I just need to change the UJ etc over to my VR6 specific one? What other parts would I need then other than the fixed column surrounds? I'd be hoping to keep my ignition barrel as well.

UJ shouldn't be an issue, I think it's just the UJ to rack splines that changed from early to late corrados.

you can use your lock barrel on the old fixed column if you are happy drilling the little hole to release the lock barrel on the fixed column, in theory it makes the car easier to steal as the lock could be popped out more easily by someone who knew what they were doing, but in practice I would have thought you have an immobiliser anyway.

you need a couple of regular bolts to replace the shear bolts (same spec as the original lower column tube to dash ones), and some fat washers if you like the steering column really low :)

Cool so I wouldn't need quite as many parts as stated in your thread then? Mine being a late VR as well has that ring round the ignition barrel so don't know if that means I'd need to keep my ignition barrel as well for the key etc?

Jim, thanks for the offer but my local stealer parts guy gives me discount as well, he's in love with corrados and every time I go in there to get something I end up leaving about an hour later :lol:

If you have a complete polo column, a corrado tube and plastic trims you have everything you need bar a couple of bolts.

Otherwise you need a fair long list of bits to make up the whole thing from new parts, my polo column had the key transponder/receiver thing on it so I guess the corrado one is the same unless the adjustable Corrado one is different (think I've still got that polo bit in the garage!)

Having an early 16v or late 8v fixed Corrado column is the best bet as you'll have everything bar the bolts. - my 8v steering issues are obviously not column related then :lol:

I have just the column and the lock barrel - so was going to basically buy everything to be sure :)

I imagine the column is the most expensive bit anyway so it shouldn't be too expensive?

give me a pic of the bits you have Jim and I'll tell you what you are missing, I take it you don't have the polo outer tube then?

Nope. Literally got the column with the lock barrel attached and the key in it. Will dig it out when I get home and grab a photo :)

re-reading my how-to thread, I think you'll need the bush/bearing from the bottom of your existing c tube but the spring from the bottom of a polo tube.

When / Where is this column exchange party due to take place?

I was indeed going to travel up and assist Rob with his column and fit the gazzers etc, so yeah, I'm up for guiding the end of someone's shaft into a dark hole :)

I think just to be different though Rob, you should replace your adjustable column with Nelson's column?

Not sure on location - I thought Rob said he had a place to do it potentially.... if not.... um.... we'll have to think of something :)

My place has room on the drive for a few cars with doors open, etc but wouldn't be suitable for doing a suspension swap I don't think as it's an uneven crappy surface.. :|