Sign in to follow this  
sprinterVR6

Oh dear...some 'opinions' on the great car.

Like so many things in life, the most vocal comments are from people who've never driven them or "heard about them from a mate" - so their opinion doesn't count for jack sh!t.

I took the VR out for a spin the other night and whipped round a roundabout in second gear before planting it and screaming up an on ramp to an A road and it made me laugh like a little kid such was the excellent grip, the howl from the VR6 and the unexpected turn of performance. Anyone who compares the Corrado to a wet weekend in Bognor Regis is devoid of a single functioning braincell.

The thing with those type of guys is they don't appreciate the power delivery the corrado gives, people like that would prefer to have 60bhp of power that has a crap power curve that feels fast but peaks out at 3k then drones on till 5k then a 190bhp car with a smooth power curve right upto 5.5k. My old valver felt alot faster than my vr6 and everytime i go out in my mates scirocco valver i swear its faster but in reality there is just no comparison.

If you just wander along in the VR6 and then expect big acceleration in a high gear at low revs, it just doesn't happen.. it's definitely got more torque than the 16V at low revs but is still gutless if you put your foot down at say 2,000RPM in 4th. If however you take it by the scruff of the neck and wring it out, I just don't see how it wouldn't put a smile on your face.

And agreed - once you're into 60MPH and beyond, the VR will just walk all over a valver.

You should try OBD2, gets rid of all of that 'laziness' at low rpm :D

I agree though, people are very quick to comment on a car when they've never driven it, but I also feel people are quick to judge when the particular car isn't in their chosen 'scene'.

Wet weekend in Bognor! Best sell up and buy a Cavalier,

AJ

A remark from a gentleman who owns an Astra GSI and a Vectra, which are well known in the car industry as having very poor handling :D The XE red top engine is the only good thing about the GSI. I can't think of a single good thing to say about Vectras though, other than they are cheap and reliable?

And @ the guy saying the VR6 isn't very fast and looks bland, PMSL!

In comparison to, again, a brand well known for it's scintillating handling, stunning looks and class leading performance :lol:

I don't even know why I bit the bait tbh. Corrado owners don't need to justify themselves or feel threatened by negative comments in the slightest. Anyone who properly knows anything about cars, knows the score :wink:

to be fair his comment is about the storm, no one has mentioned performance in that thread, and leather which you can get as an optional extra a bit of paint, worse rims and some badges isn't very exciting.

i remember when i found out what the storm was and felt a bit disappointed.

Ach well, even a lunatic is entitled to their opinion, however misguided it may be. Probably why they drive Vauxhalls.

hehe, having owned Astras right before I got my first Corrado, there is no competition. I had a Mk3 1.8 GSI (ecotec not redtop) and it gave a massive 118 bhp. Oooh, the power. I got a 1.8 valver C after the GSI died and that absolutely crapped all over it in all categories, handling, power & looks. Both were standard btw. Probably about as rare as I hardly saw any other GSIs about, but Astras themselves are common as muck. And the GSI had an embarrassing stalling problem that I never managed to fix properly. Even now I still find myself glancing at the rev counter approaching junctions, expecting to stall - its become second nature for me to do it, it happened so often.

I think I am still a member of Migweb...should I go on and set them straight? :lol:

They are only twin cam too, not quad cam as you'd expect on an engine of that age

the early "v"r6 engine was single cam and was a touch better for it due to the angle of the lifters....

Proof if it were needed that the internet is still awash with individuals who don't let a total lack of subject knowledge stop them posting. What a pair of mongs.

They are only twin cam too, not quad cam as you'd expect on an engine of that age

:lol:

Mig, Performance Vauxhalls? Christ. That's almost as bad as Detailing World. I shouldn't be too harsh, it's fine for young shavers I suppose.

Those are exactly the type of comments I would expect from these people.

We, as Corrado owners, are genetically disposed to class. We know that 0-60 times aren't the be all and end all, hence why we don't drive Novas/Corsas/Vectras/ :sleeping: that can do 0-60 in 1 second but you'd die if anyone you'd ever spoken to saw you in one.

the early "v"r6 engine was single cam and was a touch better for it due to the angle of the lifters....

Proof if it were needed that the internet is still awash with individuals who don't let a total lack of subject knowledge stop them posting. What a pair of mongs.[/quote:dptozg24]

Seriously not been that amused for ages, what a pair of mongs! Hahaha!

Im ashamed to say my daily is a Vauxhall Calibra :camp: , its horrible, it understeers everywhere like every vauxhall the steering feels vaguely attached to the front wheels with something approaching meccano. But it is reliable and cheap parts.

Dont even bother asking me which one is best to drive........................ :shrug:

And the GSI had an embarrassing stalling problem that I never managed to fix properly.

They use the same bosch management and idle valves as VW engines :lol:

Proof if it were needed that the internet is still awash with individuals who don't let a total lack of subject knowledge stop them posting. What a pair of mongs.[/quote:2b5uzyah]

Aaahhhhhh, so that's why my engine doesn't run quite as well as it should. I got the angle of the lifters wrong, tsk :brickwall:

I used to own a Vectra, had it about a month before i replaced it with a mk2 GTi. They handle well in as long as your not going round a bend, or used to driving cargo ships!

to sum up my thoughts on that vectra :epicfail: