Kev_VR6

Moonroof Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

What exactly will I need to convert my '93 VR6 sunroof to a Passat 'Moonroof'

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere else but I've done a search and couldn't find anything distinctive enough to go out and start buying parts so I thought I'd ask the direct question to get clarification.

I've seen a few conflicting answers i.e. B3 Saloon, B4 Estate, Mk3 Golf, and a few others, but I've read through a few threads now and it seems there's good and bad points for each.

I'd like to know what works best and what parts I'd need to source like the glass, the seal, the motor etc.

If anybody can help with this (maybe even supply part numbers) it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Kev

i got minne out of a b4 passat, i used the corrado motor, so was no trouble with wires, fitting it should only take about 30 mins, and i done that on my own. just have to chage whole unit, glass and runners

I had a passat one in mine but wasn't happy with the profile, didn't match the rado roof that well and caused a lot of wind noise.

Got a mk3 one here but not tried it in a rado yet.

The B4 Passat estate one seems to be the most common choice, although I seem to remember someone saying that an Ibiza roof is a better fit :shrug:

Cheers guys. Yeah I got the feeling the Passat b4 estate was the most common conversion, but with slight alignment issues. The Ibiza sounds interesting. Is it the '95 model, that rings a bell from another thread I read

Thanks

Kev

I found a Skoda Octavia Estate Moonroof (I think the year was 1999) to be a perfect fit.

Swapped the whole mech, rails and later style switch gear, £25 from the breakers :D

I had a passat one in mine but wasn't happy with the profile, didn't match the rado roof that well and caused a lot of wind noise.

Got a mk3 one here but not tried it in a rado yet.

mk3 panel won't fit at all, very different shape.

I found a Skoda Octavia Estate Moonroof (I think the year was 1999) to be a perfect fit.

Swapped the whole mech, rails and later style switch gear, £25 from the breakers :D

Any pics?

This was fitted without adjustment, probably needs to come down 1mm on the offside when I get around to it.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP1030182.JPG[/attachment:18fwngnn]Corrado92.pdfP1030183.JPG[/attachment:18fwngnn]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1030186.JPG[/attachment:18fwngnn]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1030187.JPG[/attachment:18fwngnn] P1030199.JPG[/attachment:18fwngnn]

I've been looking at getting a moonroof replacement, and there's someone breaking an Octavia Estate locally, but it's a 2001 model. I have looked on vag cat and there appear to be two different sunroof designs, swapping in 1999/2000.

Does anyone know whether both types are compatible, or whether there is only one I can use? And if so, which one?

For those who are using an Octavia moonroof, what year was the donor car?

Anyone know if a diesel 2001 octavia sunroof fits? noticed that only the estate models have been mentioned on all the threads ive searched? Thanks.

When I found the Octavia Estate Sunroof, I just took a chance because the glass had the same dimensions as the original sunroof.

I could tell by comparing it to a neighbouring MK3 golf (which has too great a curve) that it was much flatter and looked similar to the Corrado.

It turned out the whole set up was a perfect fit!

I think the year was somewhere between 97-99, no plates so I don't know exactly.

The Label has this on it;

Rockwell

FABA

AutoGlass

43R-001366

DOT 500 AS3M04

5 Tinted

Which also turns out to be the same markings as the Passat B4 Glass.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I've just bought a 2001 Octavia one off E Bay for £22.00 inc motor - Is being collected next week for me so will update when/if it fits!!

Ian.

when fitting these off a diiferent model does it have a slide panel to block out light if needed or dont they have one?

Yes they come with a sliding panel. So you can get light in the car even with the sunroof closed. Brightens up my day :-)

I got mine from a Passat VR6 1988 - 1997 (35i shape).

Fits perfectly. Althought I replaced the outer seal as it was a little perished.

Took about an hour to fit on my own. Would recommend a mate helps with removing and refitting the sunroof cartridge. The glass unit is a lot heavier than the Corrado's tin one. I had to balance the unit on the headrests whilst I did up the first few bolts.

I've just bought a 2001 Octavia one off E Bay for £22.00 inc motor - Is being collected next week for me so will update when/if it fits!!

Ian.

So did it fit!?

I got mine from a Passat VR6 1988 - 1997 (35i shape).

Fits perfectly. Althought I replaced the outer seal as it was a little perished.

Took about an hour to fit on my own. Would recommend a mate helps with removing and refitting the sunroof cartridge. The glass unit is a lot heavier than the Corrado's tin one. I had to balance the unit on the headrests whilst I did up the first few bolts.

Do you guys have quite a bit of wind noise with the moonroof? Mine does so just wondering if thats normal or should i try and replace the seal?

I bought a facelift Octavia - 2000 onwards - panel yesterday and offered it up to the car. It physically fits, screws into place, sits well against the roof line, however it has a late 6 wire loom with a circular switch.

the rado has a three wire loom with toggle switch. I couldn't work out a way of getting the wiring to work with the rado loom.. and if i did, then I'd still be left trying to fit the octavia panel to the rado panel which would involve a lot of cutting.

I tried swapping the motors, however the octavia motor is offset and screws in with 3 screws, rather than the rados two so they wont swap.

I went back to the breakers and swapped the unit for a manual Ibiza unit which fits with minimal effort.

unfortunately it looks like only the pre facelift octavia unit will fit unless you are a genius with electrics - even then it'll still be an effort.

it's a shame as the newer unit looks a lot better made, but it's too much for me to try and undertake.

I bought a facelift Octavia - 2000 onwards - panel yesterday and offered it up to the car. It physically fits, screws into placI bought a facelift Octavia - 2000 onwards - panel yesterday and offered it up to the car. It physically fits, screws into place, sits well against the roof line, however it has a late 6 wire loom with a circular switch.

the rado has a three wire loom with toggle switch. I couldn't work out a way of getting the wiring to work with the rado loom.. and if i did, then I'd still be left trying to fit the octavia panel to the rado panel which would involve a lot of cutting.

I changed the switch from the toggle to the circular kind cus it looked nicer, didn't realise there was any difference I think it's 6pin on mine ('93 vr)

EDIT: I think I see the problem now, it's not just the switch, the whole panel is different post 2000.

I think the feed into the corrado switch is 3 wires (in a 4 pin plug) but the feed out to the sunroof is 6 pin. I'll have a look tomorrow...

Edited by science