Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Breaking a car, do you get much for a corrado in parts?

I'm having no luck selling my car, i was wondering what kind of money people get when they break a corrado?

Thanks for any help anyone can give money wise.

Neil

Its the reason most people break them unfortunately - there is money to be made. Just be prepared to put up with time wasters, items missing in the post, etc....

you will do well if you break it [although its sad to see another c go] ,keep up to date with the thread , price things reasonable ,nothing worse than peeps chargin stupid dough because the parts are deleted , good luck .

its a "lot" of work though, i've never done it, but just a clearout i did at the beginning of the year took so much time in just wrapping stuff up well enough to send it out safely. hopefully you dont end up getting there though - shame to see a white one taken apart :(

I'm just splitting my old car (selling the mods and returning it back to standard) and that went really well for the first two weeks... sold loads of stuff... but now I'm having trouble selling the rest of the stuff.

And that's just selling mods, not selling engine/electric/body parts etc.

Would be a shame to have another one broken for parts, but I would probably come get a few things of you if you did decide to

/\ Agree with that. Now on the finishing straight with a car we started breaking in February. Its bloody hard work and a huge hassle. Some things sell really quickly but then its gets harder. You need a good space to work in , plenty of time and tools. Taking pictures of everything will get parts sold a lot quicker. You may need to store parts for ages. There will be plenty of time wasters. Helps if you have a mate to lend a hand. You need to be very organised and get stuff out to buyers asap. To avoid any problems with stuff lost in the post we sent all our stuff out recorded delivery - reduced our profit but was worth it for the peace of mind.

We have made a very good profit from our efforts but I doubt if I'll rush into doing another one. It was kinda nice being able to help out so many people who were after parts, some who we met personally if they came to collect them. We sent stuff out to places as far afield as Shetland Islands and Cornwall! Finally it was rather interesting seeing how these cars are put together and learning quite a lot along the way as we took it apart.

Finally it was rather interesting seeing how these cars are put together and learning quite a lot along the way as we took it apart.

Thats the reason I'd like to do one if it ever came to it..

Finally it was rather interesting seeing how these cars are put together and learning quite a lot along the way as we took it apart.

Thats the reason I'd like to do one if it ever came to it..

agreed i broke one for parts i needed to restore mine and its great to have one "to practise on" before you attempt anything on yours LOL

Before you go off breaking it have you thought about just puting it back to standard? Just things like the grill, the coils and the rear lights should bag u 300 odd quid as oe parts dont cost much.

Then just drop the price to your final price but with no offers.

If u can change the suspension yourself you should get a good 300 quid for the weitecs if in good nick, £50 for the lights, £30-40 for the grill, £400ish for the leathers and loom, £200ish for the speakers/amp (depending on models etc)

Thats nearly 1k there, ok lets say after buying oe parts u spent another 150 and u had shitty luck selling parts you've still got at least 5-600 in your pocket.

Then you could drop the price to 1700ish no offers i reckon and get it sold easy.

Thats what id do, i was about to do it with my valver but luckily got it sold for a decent price in the end.

Pretty much as above Neil,

It's a huge amount of work and hassle, and you do get left with a lot of bits that just don't move. Grey interior plastics spring to mind!

It used to be quite lucrative, but now that everyone is doing it, supply of some parts has outstripped demand. Also, some sellers punt stuff out so cheaply that it isn't worth trying to compete sometimes. Forum users tend to look around for bargains! This is all great for buyers, but if you are looking to sell parts, makes things more difficult.

Couldn't really have done any of it without working with a mate through the entire process.

I'm surprised you are struggling to sell it anyway! As far as I can tell it's a lovely example.....it is well advertised isn't it? I know it is on here, but is it on Piston Heads, Auto Trader and so on?

Its a hassle, and be prepared that many of parts won't sell but it's wort anyway.

Most of you remember when I was trying to sell my 20VT. Was advertised 6 months and nobody was interested.

Was asking finally 3k for it, was offered 2,5 but it was not enough for me.

Finally broke it on parts. Already got 3k for parts, still have few parts left worth about 300 quid and I was keeping some parts worth around 600 quid, so together I can say I got 1k more than was asking for whole car, so was worth for me.

Hi Neil lets hope it dosn't come to breaking it up :( can you hold out any longer it seems extream to break up a perfectly running Corrado

I'm breaking my car, ive not done this before, i was wondering if i have to list every nut and bolt in the for sale section, because i could just put for sale ask for details but the rules say i have to put a price?

so is it a case of listing everything!?

Neil

I'm breaking my car, ive not done this before, i was wondering if i have to list every nut and bolt in the for sale section, because i could just put for sale ask for details but the rules say i have to put a price?

Neil

With a breaking thread we just ask that people put up the 10/15 most popular items.. so interior, engine, wheels, panels - that sort of stuff :)

Would be best to list as much as is humanly possible, saves loads of questions etc later. Pics of each bit would really help you. The more detail you can put now, the easier the sales of everything will be in the long run for you. Sorry to see this happen but best of luck with it.

P.S. Can you put my name down for the ABS Pump please if its all working good :norty:

Neil

Fraid so, but you don't have to list everything in one go. Recently someone did it about 10 items a month for example. If you want to get on with it, list the obvious stuff but then just make sure you publish the price for everyone to see when you're asked about something else.

Or, copy someone elses breaking thread, I have one saved if you want it.

Neil

List everything with pictures, you sell more in faster time like that

Neil

Fraid so, but you don't have to list everything in one go. Recently someone did it about 10 items a month for example. If you want to get on with it, list the obvious stuff but then just make sure you publish the price for everyone to see when you're asked about something else.

Or, copy someone elses breaking thread, I have one saved if you want it.

have pm'd you

Neil? Have you tried the old-fashioned method of a For Sale sign, plus price and contaact number in the car rear windows? Perhaps p/xing to a dealer? as above, it would be a shame to break a car that you've undoubtedly spent a lot of time and effort on.

Neil? Have you tried the old-fashioned method of a For Sale sign, plus price and contaact number in the car rear windows? Perhaps p/xing to a dealer? as above, it would be a shame to break a car that you've undoubtedly spent a lot of time and effort on.

had price poster in the car the first day i wanted to sell it, and now the car is sat on a drive as its not insured.

dont need to part x, hence selling it.

This is really sad :(

Anyway, as others have said, just list the obvious stuff, or stuff you are taking off first + pics.

When Vornwend and I broke the 8v we kept track of everything using a Google Docs excel spreadsheet. Believe you me, this saved a huge amount of hassle! You can keep track of everything, including who has paid, how they paid, if it's been sent, who has dibs, total received, postage costs, dividend etc etc.