Stafford16v

My Corrado likes a drink

Thought id bring this thread back!

I am now the owner of the car and looking for more advice on the poor MPG... I sit at 60-70 on the motorway and see about 31mpg... Which i think is poor. The fuel gauge is so inaccurate its unreal lol! Currently done about 200 miles on a full tank and on my drive (which i believe to be flat) it says its empty... It had a quarter of a tank in (ish) when i bought it and i filled it up with about 47quid (it clicked a few times) So going by the 30mpg... it should easily achieve 240 miles to the money i put in there, not including what was already in the tank...

I need to be seeing at least 35mpg on a run out of this... I have posted an add in the wanted section in search of the standard exhaust and airbox in hope that this may make a difference??? It does need rear pads and discs... i dont think theyre binding but could that be the missing MPG?

Finally i noticed in 4th it goes flat after about 5K... surely being a valver the 16 puppies should be at their best...?

As I said when you bought it mate my advice would be to get the fuelling/ignition timing checked out. I think thats the way to ensure you get maximum mpg out of one of these old engine's. It wasn't worth me spending the money getting it done as I only do 3 miles each way to work. It would be worth an hour's labour to you though I'm sure.

As for not red lining in 4th gear I honestly never noticed that - surely you would have to be in to 3 figures to see that many revs with the gearing on that car?!... I know it redlines in 1/2 gear, but I probably never even redlined 3rd. As I said I never really gelled with the car and hence I didn't push it as hard as I might have done. With it being such a long throw gear change I just found there was no pleasure in revving the nuts off of it and slamming the next gear in. I'd say its more of a cruiser.

I think the colour might be called midnight blue.... ;-)

Tell me about it the gear ratio is lonng! lol But nah ive never been into 3 figures 3rd gear is fine just felt flat in 4th which i thought was strange.

Dont get me wrong I am dead happy with my purchase :D.

Just a thought, but when mine went thirsty,it was all down to the cat being pass its sell by date !!

Once replaced,i was back to good mpg :D

There are so many different things that could be the cause though. For example the budget tyres probably could be meaning you lose some MPG.

Good thinking about replacing the air box. Although the AFM etc is after the drilled area there is a feed from the manifold (I think?) to the underside of the box. This could mean its not getting the warm air off the engine that it needs when its cold. I was shocked at how complex that airbox setup was.

I replaced all the service items apart from the fuel filter and ignition leads. Now I dont think the fuel filter would be a problem, but the ignition leads could prove to be an issue at high revs maybe? Might be worth changing those. I would have done, but they were like £45 and as the car wasn't misfiring or anything it wasn't worth it. Also I think it might have revved better top end with the K&N in? It certainly felt more responsive. The filter was really dirty though so maybe try giving it a clean.

Cool, I popped the K&N back in when I got home, hasnt made any odds mpg wise. I might clean it up though. Assuming the leads are the blue ones on top.. It might be worth it yeah as the one lead is supposed to have a switch on for the ECU at the moment the switch is unplugged. Sorry, I need to get my knowledge back about petrols lol.

20 mpg around town and 28 mpg at a steady 80 mph

thats on a G60 with sns chuck the fuel in chip and 68 pulley lol

i try to drive it steady but she keeps asking for more !!!

Pah! This is my point lol I was driving at 77 ;) and turned out 28mpg... hopefully a few new items will help the car! If i sort out some of the bad problems and generate some money made... ill invest in performance rather than getting the MPG up.

Anyone notice a difference running V power?

never ran it on anything else

as most will say on here boost and high octane mix well

high boost and low octane equals melted pistons if things go wrong

Just been reading this thread as its of interest to me.my g60 pops flames on gear changes when I go much over half throttle and I manage to get around 250-300 per tank on super unleaded.anyone else's G do this?And can you tell me why?! never understood why as when I got the car it was set up by jabbasport. I dont think 300 miles is too bad,just always thinking that every little flame is petrol id rather have in my tank!

Pah!! I've worked out I get 26/7 mpg at 80-90, just under 30mpg at 70 and 32mpg at 55-60... Sucks! Ah well fitting new leads tomorrow, then checking the injection system on the airbox. If this along with new rear brakes don't solve it, off to have the timing checked. Mrs gets in the 40s out of her 1.4, damn new engines lol

yeah but you missus 1.4 wont to 0-60 in 7secs

new engines have no soul i love the sound of my G60 going down a build up street in 2nd gear sweet whoomm whooom whooom

everyone i know nows when im coming up lol

The 0-60 is the same i think? isnt the 9a lump 9 seconds to 60?

I have the luxury of driving a classic which is amazing round corners... whilst her car wont go round corners and has mod cons lol.

I defo prefer the rado :D... However i do wish that my 185bhp and 300 lbs of torque TDI engine was in the raddo and not sat in my ibiza :(

How accurate is the fuel gauge? I do 150 motorway miles at mostly 65mph and 50 town miles to a tank... Which is horrendous... I've driven the car up to 220 miles on a tank but chicken out because the gauge is low lol. I need the ignition and fueling sorted but no ££ at the mo, the exhaust coughs every time I take my foot off the throttle.

How accurate is the fuel gauge? I do 150 motorway miles at mostly 65mph and 50 town miles to a tank... Which is horrendous... I've driven the car up to 220 miles on a tank but chicken out because the gauge is low lol. I need the ignition and furling sorted but no ££ at the mo, the exhaust coughs every time I take my foot off the throttle.

Oh dear, something wrong there. I usually get about 27 around town and about 32-33 on the motorway, although i had 36 recently ( :D ), from having to drive at about 60 for miles.

Assuming stafford16v was telling the truth about the servicing... The plugs look manky and there's plenty of oil on them... So new plugs n rocker after it was done 2k ago? Dizzy had a nice 5-10ml of oil in too... These definitely last more than 2k, can you get the seal for the engine or is it a new unit?

Head on it's way out? Or a dodgy mechanic not pulling his weight? Got the car dyno'd 130bhp and fuel wise it's running lean, perfect. Though it is leaking coolant from the head to the matrix.

31 mpg at 80 on the autobahn.dont know about town,but its not good!!! lol

bbewekim servicing is upmost important.oil,plugs,dizzy arm+cap some off the basics.Do you mean plugs are cover in oil on the tip or on the outside? if its the tip your bores/rings have seen better days.

The oil was all around the threads if that helps? If the seals have gone what's the score? Does that mean the rocker may have been replaced?? I agree about the servicing, but I was under the impression it had just been done plus loads more. Especially according to the for sale thread and prev owners posts.

If the plug ends (electrodes etc that are actually inside the head) are free of oil and not black and "Shiney" as distict from "sooty" and only the threads are actually covered in oil it is more likely that the rocker cover gasket is leaking oil into the plug recess. There is a separate sort of central gasket that seals around the plug recess in the rocker cover/ cylinder head gasket which can leak and cover the extrior of the plug with oil. Get a paper towel and roll it into around tube type thing and push it into the plug recess in the head and see if it comes out withhevy oil staining. Theoretically there should be no oil there.

I took my rado down to Brighton and back for a concert, I live in north Wales and it was a 750 mile round trip... It got there on half a tank and back on just a little more considering I had a full boot with 3 not so small passengers and myself I was getting around 30mpg there at a steady 70mph though on the way back I was getting 23-27mpg as it was early hours and was a bit heavy footed. Around town at home I'm lucky if it reaches 16mpg but there are a lot of country roads, my plugs were recently changed but showed no sign of been coked up! I too notice the fuel gauge seems to get from 1/2 to red much faster than it takes it to get from full to 1/2? My old audi coupe was the same.