Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Brake Master Cylinder, 92 VR6 Cant find a replacement.

I am in a bit of a pickle. In sorting out my brakes it has come to light that the master cylinder seal was shot,

In trying to source a new one We are up against problems. The ones that GSF sent, (3 seperate ones) are all slightly differnet but none are right.

Mine has one outlet under the bleed nipple but it comes out straight not at an angle.

Has anyone any experience of this? or can they offer advice please?

Yep, one advice. Change your servo + brake master for one from Golf MK4 and be happy with stronger brakes and hassle free life.

Cheers, Thats an interesting and refreshing idea, Wont it put aditional strain on the rest of the system though?

Ive not yet changed the slave, and trying to keep costs down if poss.

Yep, one advice. Change your servo + brake master for one from Golf MK4 and be happy with stronger brakes and hassle free life.

Do both bolt straight on? What about the pedal position sensor for the ABS as I don't think MK4s use that?

Cheers, Thats an interesting and refreshing idea, Wont it put aditional strain on the rest of the system though?

Ive not yet changed the slave, and trying to keep costs down if poss.

My friend did it few times in golfs and Corrado's who he modified. So fare I bought servo + master cylinder + brake reservoir for around 50 pounds from ebay, used but from very low mileage golf. Don't know if it needs some fabrication cos still didn't fit it.

Will ask my friend if it needs any fabrication and will let you know.

Do both bolt straight on? What about the pedal position sensor for the ABS as I don't think MK4s use that?

Just sent this question to my friend and will let you know asa get replay from him.

If it helps I have a VR6 Master cylinder I bought but never ended up needing, good working condition

Bought for £50, Let it go for say £40 delivered

The Mechanic guy is saying that He will need to fit blanking plates to one of the ones with multiple outlets to resolve the problem?

does this ring bells with anyone.

OK, have replay from a friend and it's not a straight bolt on job.

1) ABS pedal position fits without modification

2) servo itself need fabrication. Need very professional welding to servo pin which operate brake master cylinder.

I'm including pictures of modified mk4 servo who my friend sent me. Unfortunately he doesn't have pictures when he was doing it, just a ready servo to fit corrado.

corrado013resize.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

corrado014resize.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To be honest I don't know anything about welding so will be sending my servo to him for modification and then will get ready bolt on one from him.

Does the mk4 master cylinder bolt straight onto the Corrado servo? Is it just if you want to swap the servo for a mk4 one that this modification has to be made?

Does the mk4 master cylinder bolt straight onto the Corrado servo? Is it just if you want to swap the servo for a mk4 one that this modification has to be made?

Sadly not, the Mk4 MC had a different angle and as such won’t fit in to the Corrado servo, think it may also be a different length too. On the second part, you are correct, seems to be some nice information appearing about fitting the Mk4 gear to the Corrado - interested to see where this goes.

Out of curiosity anyone know if the braking setup in the attached image are Mk4 items? Found it on the Vortex R36 build.

Zippy - whats's actually the problem - why not just get a new one or the second hand one above??

I maybe missing something but surely that's easier than converting to MK4 stuff...

The problem is that the new replacements we have found are not matching what was there to start with. They either have different angled outlets, or come with too many outlets, rather than the single one needed to go to the ABS pump.

Apart from one, which GSF managed to source, but when put in place the pushrod was tooo short, leaving a lot of pedal movement before any sort of brake response.

However, as of this afternoon, I think have managed to find a replacement master Cylinder with servo for less than the one listed above.