Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Sunroof...

Well its already happened.. the sunroof on my Corrado has borked. I've only had it for a week! :(

Lee warned me when I bought it that it would only tilt, but not slide. But today I noticed the sunroof appeared to be slightly up.. and apprehensively I decided to try and close it knowing there were potential issues. I pressed the wrong direction, sunroof went up, I freaked out a little bit, went to close it and it didnt.

Basically its only closing on one side - the other side just doesnt appear interested at all.

I *could* try and sort this myself, but I am basically crap with car repair of any kind (you might wonder why I am even driving a Corrado, being as they are SO well behaved) so a good friendly garage that my old man goes to a lot has said that they will take a look if I drive by there tomorrow morning. They say they have repaired a few early VW sunroofs so it does sound promising that they can fix it.....

But out of interest, did you ever write up that guide on sunroof repair kevhaywire?

I have one in PDF format 939kb... how do you want me to send it to you?

Well i've read the one from the CCGB (Markos did it) but it looked a bit scary... was hoping Kev's guide might be a little less threatening or it would somehow sound easier!

I just posted cause I wanted a bit of sympathy. Bloody car!! :(

Does the repair kit have everything I am ever likely to need?

As I say, I am probably gonna get this garage my old man knows to tackle it.. but I might as well buy the repair kit and give it to em with it.

Potentially yes....but you won't know until the subframe has been dropped, stripped and inspected. 9 times out of 10 though, just the passenger side cable guide snaps......so the repair kit should suffice!

Alignment after refitment requires special care and attention otherwise you'll end up with a roof that tilts when you lock the door! So fit the new guides, make sure they're dead parallel, stick the roof panel on, align it, put the motor back on, adjust by hand till the roof is closed, remove motor but leave connected, pulse the door locks so that the motor gets into the 'zero' position, refit motor and off you go!

You might also want to debur the roof strengthening straps whilst the headlining is down to stop the sunroof gouging on it in the future, quite common!

K

Ive got an old sunroof that you may want for parts. Would be no good as a replacement but for parts it might be handy. Won't cost you a bean but you will have to pick it up. Can't guarantee that it will be of any use to you though.

Cheers cookem, but I think you are a bit of a trek away down in Essex :(

I just dropped the car off at this 'local garage' that my dad always uses.. I tell you I walked away with a feeling of dread as I handed my keys over. Sounded great idea at the time when my dad suggested him, but now i'm a bit uncomfortable.

Still, if he fixes it, I couldn't care less.

Well I think its nearly sorted.

I had to walk from my house this morning to VW (about 4 miles) and then to the garage who are sorting my sunroof. The repair kit from VW has dropped from 77 quid to 71 quid - and then I slyly asked if I could get parts club discount and got that down to 62 quid - so not bad going.

Dropped by the garage and they had all the headlining out and everything ready, just waiting for me to drop off the repair kit for them.. so they said it should be finished by the end of the afternoon. Yay!

Just hope they don't want too much money... 5 hours labour surely should do it?

any more than that and they're taking the Micky... I did it myself having no idea what I was doing in under 4 hours, so pros should be able to do it in around that sort of time too... 8)

Well they seem like an honest bunch.. as you may have read above I was worried about em not being careful enough with it, but I looked at the headlining and they have been pretty careful. He was like :

"Well I am glad you've got black leather to be honest, but we have been as careful as possible - i've lost count how many times i've washed my hands..." - so that put a bit of confidence back in me. He had all the parts from the old sunroof and was showing me where the mech had snapped so...

Fingers crossed he finishes it off with a good job and a tidy price :)

And now I get a call telling me there is something else busted on the sunroof. I'll post for some more help when I go and pick up my car.. he's just gonna reattach the sunroof without the headlining and I need to find this additional part which he'll be fitting next week.

I can't believe my f'cking luck :(

hey, don't knock it... I fitted a newly fixed complete sunroof to my C just after I bought it, and about a week before the engine let go, this bit fell out of it meaning that this one's broken too! :roll:

Moonroof time for mine! 8)

At least they found it now before the'd put it all together and you'd left feeling happy... :wink:

Ok.. a little help please off someone!

Does anyone know what the circled part is called, so that I can ask for it at the breakers or at worst VW? This is what also appears to have snapped in the sunroof on this frigging car, and is what else I need to go and pick up to get it fixed.

I'm having a good hunt over EKTA for the sunroof assembly but I can't find it for the life of me.. could anyone point it out for me? Which section is it under??

Pic attached (apologies for lifting this directly out of Markos E's guide he made for the CCGB but its the only picture I had to hand) :

That's the rocker that toggles between tilt and slide. Pointed up like that = tilt, pointing parallel with the runner = slide.

There should be a little rubber bit on the end of it which slots into a detent in the runner. The rubber bit often falls off and therefore the rocker won't lift out of the detent and slide the roof back.

If not available from the dealer, you'll have to nick them from a passat at a breakers.

Yeah breakers is looking likely.. though it'd be nice to try find a part number for it on EKTA so I can at least try VW.

I think there is a good breakers in Coventry from what I understand...

Ok... lifted this from EKTA. Finally worked out how to get around the damn thing :)

Does this look like the part? Seems like it to me...

Mate, see the spring at the opposite end of the picture? Is there any play between the spindle and the shaped runner? If there is, the roof will potentially grind on the roof support straps :?

Personally I'd use an entire subframe from a little used passat one. Whilst it's out, may aswell do it once.

I've repaired my roof having suffered the same issues and have had nothing but grief from it ever since. In the summer I will be junking the whole lot and buying a new subframe assembly from VW (will negotiate a deal with my dealer) or get a passat one from the breakers.

K

Evening all

There's alot of info on the C sunroof on this forum I see, could've done with some of that a few months back!

Jim, that part you need is probably worn rather than actually broken. There's a little black wheel that loses it's shape over time and affects it's performance, I replaced these when I fixed my roof so you'll have no problem getting them from VW and they're not expensive (shock!).

kevhaywire, you mention roof support straps, what are they? Interesting you talk of a new subframe, I wonder if that might be what I need, but I'm hoping it's not! The 'runner' part that Jim is about to buy (you may as well buy BOTH sides Jim) that has the rubber end is causing me grief as I need thicker rubber to stop it lifting too high. Anyone got anything or can recommend something to put that's thicker and WILL stay in place? Using two of them doesn't work as they won't stay put.

The last time I tried to slide the roof it only just closed again, so I think that 'runner' part is the offender, if it's not I'm fearing a new subframe, but I thought VW wanted £250 for one... that's expensive. Come the good weather it's disassembly time again I fear...

Markos

94VR

Well its already happened.. the sunroof on my Corrado has borked. I've only had it for a week! :(

Bad luck Jim, at this rate you'll soon be telling us you can't afford to keep it :shock: ... ;-)

A wise guy eh? :)

Well I went to VW and ordered that part - I found it on EKTA and the guy at VW said that according to the computer, a few were listed in the parts bin at VW at Wellsbourne, and that he could get it here for Monday afternoon.

So thats hopefully gonna get it sorted.

Though i've just read Markos's post but its a bit late as the part has now been ordered and VW parts will be closed in 5 minutes.

The last time I tried to slide the roof it only just closed again, so I think that 'runner' part is the offender, if it's not I'm fearing a new subframe, but I thought VW wanted £250 for one... that's expensive. Come the good weather it's disassembly time again I fear...

Or maybe time for everyone to start looking at the passat moonroof conversion.. it seems a bit crazy that its so impossible to fix the sunroof on a Corrado reliably.. :(

Or maybe time for everyone to start looking at the passat moonroof conversion.. it seems a bit crazy that its so impossible to fix the sunroof on a Corrado reliably.. :(

Well, guess what I've just spent a couple hours doing this morning at a local VW breakers?!? :roll: :wink:

Yup, I'm now the proud owner of a Passat moonroof! :lol: 8)

And the best bit? I also got 4 lock mech covers, the interior sunroof trim and the sun visor for over the rear view mirror off the 30K mile car for a sum total of......

£40! 8) :lol: :D