Sign in to follow this  
steveh

Sensible Perfomance Upgrades For 16v 1.8

Can anyone give me any pointers in the most sensible upgrades to 1.8 16v.

Looking to get better grunt low down the rev range, better accelleration etc etc etc.

But dont want to alter the car from standard too much, but a wee bit more poke would be nice.

depends on your budget really, a performace air filter and exhaust would give you a little bit more grunt, and a much nicer sound! i thnk they're probably the first things people do. After that theres things you can do by adding the 2.0 16v bottom end which is supposed to improve things, then theres cams, flywheels, porting and polishing, head skimming.... no end of things! if you dont want to move away from standard much, i would suggest the airfiler and a subtle exhaust.

Can anyone give me any pointers in the most sensible upgrades to 1.8 16v.

Looking to get better grunt low down the rev range, better accelleration etc etc etc.

But dont want to alter the car from standard too much, but a wee bit more poke would be nice.

how about new plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil change, air filter and then an hour or two on a good rolling road, all this should cost under 200 quid (50 quid an hour-ish for rolling road) and will release the full potential of a standard engine, it's surprising how many cars are running with timing out and poor ignition systems not to mention runnning too lean or too rich.

A friends 2.016v was transformed when we discovered a garage had got the timimg out by one tooth on the cam pulley, yet he had been driving the car for at least a year like this, effectively with the ignition 10 degrees retarded all the time!

David.

hello as like i mention on all threads conserning this

1.8 16v KR head with 1.8 16v cams KR

2L 9A bottom end

Good quality exhuast system using the bottom part of the exhuast manifold form a g60 or 16v with a CAT and get a cat by pass pipe

Also K&N air filer with the bottom box drilled correctly

Some port and polishing

This should get you about 160-170bhp easily ive just finished doing this setup on my mates 16v corrado and it now pulls fromt he word go amazing setup for £800 it cost him

but if u want turbo there is a guy on edition38 selling a turbo technics kit