Sign in to follow this  
fredfelcher

Good Motronic resources - Kev? RW1? Joni?

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether anyone has links or documents they could post which explain a bit of the technical aspect of the ECU? I've used VAGCOM for ages and find it as indispensible as a spanner or screwdriver now. The only thing is, I can't find anything in depth about the Motronic software.

I bought the Charles Probst book way back when I had a K-Jet; it's got a little bit about Motronic but only generic stuff about what a map is and what it's for. I'm looking for more detail - like for instance how the ECU adapts, under what conditions, special modes, etc.

I've searched and read posts by Kevhaywire and RW1 which show they have a huge amount of knowledge in this area, so just wondering where you guys picked this up? For instance, RW1 - how did you find out about the ECU basic settings sequence? Are you trained in this or just enthusiastic amateurs like me?

I suppose the ultimate would be to go down VR6Joni's route and learn how to do it all myself. This really appeals to the inner geek in me (no offence Joni...) but I haven't really got the spare time and frankly the cost (widebands, EPROM readers, etc) puts me off with a second baby on the way!

Any pointers to material would be much appreciated. I'm not looking to bombard those with knowledge with a hundred questions; I'm an intelligent bloke who should be able to work it out himself, as long as I get the basic info to work from.

Cheers for any help you can give!

I don't know as much about the inner workings of it as VR6Joni does. I gave up on Motronic 4 years ago and moved onto Standalones as I wasn't getting the results I wanted from OBD1 or OBD2, although the latter did improve many things. I knew enough to understand what it was doing and how to fault find etc etc.

I picked up most of what I know about it from Vince at StealthRacing. He knows Motronic like the back of his hand, and not just the AG & CP ecus in our Corrados, but also OBD2 and ME7 boxes.

A useful forum that is growing in popularity is www.ecuconnections.com

There appears to be a lot of knowledgable Motronic people on there!

afaik, RW1 developed the VAGCOM softeware with Uwe Ross, so i'm sure he as some fairly in depth knowldge on the ecu too. Perhaps pm the three gents concerned too.