G-Lad

VR6 Oil & Spark plugs

I really need to tell you all how much of a difference some fully synthetic oil and quality simple single electrode spark plugs have made to the performance and running temps of my VR6.

I was using Quantum Synta silver oil (10W-40) and some random model of multi electrode Bosch spark plugs that came with the car.

Following a bit of research on here and following some advice from Purple Tom & Kevhaywire, I changed my Oil for Motul X-cess 8100 (which is a fully synthetic oil, 5W-40) and also fitted Kev's recommended non-platinum single electrode plugs NGK BKR5E.

Both Oil & plugs were purchased from Opie Oils. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

WOW. Smoother power under 3.5k rpm, less oil temperatures when cruising at 4.5k rpm, and generally a much nicer idle. :clap:

I changed the Oil about 2 weeks ago and noticed about 2-4 degrees drop on the oil temp. Also, it quietens down much more quickly (I have 125k miles and a bit of tappet clatter on cold start). Also, it is burning much less that the 1litre per 1000miles it was doing on Synta. I have done about 500miles and not needed to top it up yet.

I fitted the plugs on Sunday morning and have done around 150 miles with them. The plugs made a noticeable difference to the performance on its own, and probably not least in part to the more relaxed way I drove yesterday (it now cruises more smoothly), I lost another 2-4 degrees at 80-90mph / 4-4.5k rpm in fifth gear (yes, in Germany on unrestricted roads of course).

Seriously folks, I really want any VR6 owners to consider this combination next time they do a basic service... I'm genuinely shocked at the difference when all of the common knowledge I'd ever picked up was "use Bosch multi electrode" "always use Quantum Synta oil". Perhaps these statements are not untrue in my Golf 2 16v (KR - same as 1.8litre Corrados), but not so for the VR6.

NB: Opie Oils couldn't provide me with a Mann H932/5x filter, so I bought mine from good old GSF. You can also get them mailorder from AVS car parts in Swaffham, but the postal cost makes it a bit prohibitive if you're only buying that one item since the filter is only worth a fiver...

877.jpg

41N80ZX00DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

...and entertainingly, the plugs are listed on Opie Oils as for a Kia Picanto, but on request they sent me 6 when ordered by model name, not by car. If you ask for the plugs they list for a VR6 Corrado, they'll suggest the expensive platinum ones for no real benefit other than longer term use. Just Swap them every couple of years (or every year at that price).

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/car-spark-plu ... -6953.aspx?

That's all folks!

Chris

great advice and you're right the basic plugs are the best, i had a few running issue a while back and it was down to the platinum plugs supplied by vw!

I support your views on the spark plugs; the standard NGKs give by far the best performance of any that I have used, and if you are burning a bit of oil they are cheap enough to replace on a regular basis. Sparkplugs.com, or somesuch, do them for about £3.50 each mailorder, and they pop through your letterbox the next morning.

Best wishes

RB ( all suspicions confirmed, now officially a Nutter)

Someone on here found an ebay seller with all 6 for only £14. Was next day delivery and everything, was very impressed.

LOL, I thought this was another "What oil?" thread so ignored it :lol:

Good to see you've found some good results Chris. I found the same thing with Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 some years ago when my (then) standard engine was also chewing through Quantum silver. Oil consumption reduced considerably!

The best spark plug I've used to date is the NGK R5671A with non-projected tip. Also known as the NGK 'V Power'. Sadly they don't do them as warm as a 5. They start at heat range 7. I have run them in a standard VR6 though with no ill effects. Unfortunately they are expensive here, £4.56 each from Spark-plugs. In Americanland they are the princely sum of $2.25, or £1.43 :D

Yes, in terms of the VR6, platinum plugs are both over-rated and not needed imo.

Yeah those Bosch triple or 4 electrode plugs don't work well in the VR6. Single electrode 16V Bosch "Yytrium" and Audi TT plugs work OK, as does the RS2 F5DPOR, otherwise stick to cheapy NGKs :D

By the way, if someone wants to do a bulk order of BKR5Es from America and split the import duty and VAT, they can be had for about £1.43 each.

By the way, if someone wants to do a bulk order of BKR5Es from America and split the import duty and VAT, they can be had for about £1.43 each.

Very tempting! How many do you need to buy in, to make it worth while? For the sake of £20 I'd keep a couple of sets of 6 in the cupboard. Guestimate on postage?

LOL, I thought this was another "What oil?" thread so ignored it :lol:

Good to see you've found some good results Chris. I found the same thing with Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 some years ago when my (then) standard engine was also chewing through Quantum silver. Oil consumption reduced considerably!

The best spark plug I've used to date is the NGK R5671A with non-projected tip. Also known as the NGK 'V Power'. Sadly they don't do them as warm as a 5. They start at heat range 7. I have run them in a standard VR6 though with no ill effects. Unfortunately they are expensive here, £4.56 each from Spark-plugs. In Americanland they are the princely sum of $2.25, or £1.43 :D

Yes, in terms of the VR6, platinum plugs are both over-rated and not needed imo.

Yeah those Bosch triple or 4 electrode plugs don't work well in the VR6. Single electrode 16V Bosch "Yytrium" and Audi TT plugs work OK, as does the RS2 F5DPOR, otherwise stick to cheapy NGKs :D

This sort of "recommended consumables" info merits a place on the knowledge base / wiki, if you ask me.

I'm sure there are tons of VRs running aroung with nasty expensive plugs and gobbling up synta. Lets see if the wiki thread gets a bit of support: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=96976

Its' definately on my "oh you're a new corrado owner! did you know..." spiel. :nuts:

Very tempting! How many do you need to buy in, to make it worth while? For the sake of £20 I'd keep a couple of sets of 6 in the cupboard. Guestimate on postage?

Was thinking maybe 100+, LOL! :D

I used to order parts from America frequently and each time I'd always get 5 or 6 sets of the R5671A-7 and keep them in stock. They don't last as long as the platinums obviously, but you can change them many times and still pay less than the dealer plugs!

Other forums like Subaru and some Ford ones have their own online shops for stuff like this. Wouldn't it be great to have a CF online shop?

Parts ordered in bulk which are known to work well and sold as a service kit?

I have no idea about the e-commerce implications and I guess the forum would have to be VAT registered and signed up with Companies House....and all that mallarky?

the ones i bought were listed as kia picanto, so probably yes. I did not adjust the gaps before fitting to my vr6.

Just another vote for this combination of oil and plugs. Our VR was running a bit poo and the missus has been moaning its felt a bit down on power. I changed the plugs, oil and air filter and oil today and just starting up afterwards the idle was noticeably better, it sounded much smoother and less top end clattery. It drives much better although I have only done a short run since the change over. It seems to rev much more smoothly though. I'll keep an eye on temps on a run and the consumption side of things as I go but very impressed thus far.

Will defo recommend this combo to anyone. Cheers for the recommendation.