Sign in to follow this  
hyland770

16v turbo kit

so just scouring the net to see if theres a turbo kit for a 16v corrado and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETE-TURBO-KIT-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-16V-2-0L-GTI-NEW-/170463425123?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b0697263#ht_1345wt_827

i have a 1.8 16v but this shouldnt drastically different should it? and at least it saves sourcing a lot of other parts, however by the way the add says only a 90 day warranty i think if i were to purchase, i would buy a better turbo seperately! i dont know, i just wondered what you lot thought as you have lots more experience than me!

also does anyone know of any turbo kits for the 1.8 16v rado? mines a 1990 model and not sure about engine numbers etc....

People ask about these all the time, but I don't think anyone has tried one yet. I think general opinion is low, but a few people have said it might be fun to chuck one on an old passat or something, just to see how long it lasts. Personally I'd stay well clear and either do it properly or not at all :)

yeah i think your right, ive done everything else properly like paintwork, servicing, wheels, tyres, brakes would be a shame to have a piece of crap turbo bolted to it all if its not gonna work or blow the engine up or something!

just finding it hard to source all the parts for a turbo conversion, and i would like it to be a simpleish job and thus bolt on would be great!

i think i may just have to take it somehwere and get it done becuase i dont have the knowledge and neither do any of my friends!!!

yeah i think your right, ive done everything else properly like paintwork, servicing, wheels, tyres, brakes would be a shame to have a piece of crap turbo bolted to it all if its not gonna work or blow the engine up or something!

just finding it hard to source all the parts for a turbo conversion, and i would like it to be a simpleish job and thus bolt on would be great!

i think i may just have to take it somehwere and get it done becuase i dont have the knowledge and neither do any of my friends!!!

Check out the thread about turbos that Vince at stealth is doing. They are for VR's but they might be able to accommodate you as well, although I'm not sure you can safely turbo your engine without replacing internals.....But there are a LOT more knowledgeable people on here than me so best wait for them :)

hi thanks for the replies ive been out all evening so havent been able to get back to you....

im based in suffolk but am willing to travel to have the work done, ideally id like to learn how to do it with someone as a guide but realistically i think im gonna have to pay to have it done.

I did email stealth today asking them a few questions and if the vr kit could accomodate the 16v so am waiting to hear from them!

thanks for the link to the one for sale, i think if i were to do it though i would want to do it to my own engine even if that meant replacing all the internals because then id know its been done 1000% correct and the satisfaction would be that much greater.

however iv also been toying with the ideal of putting a vr lump in and then turboing that as the kit is already available and doing more might mean doing less if you get what i mean!?

Keep the ideas and advice coming! thanks again

Nothing from the VR6 turbo kit can be adapted to the 16V.

Vince at Stealth used to turbo the 16Vs some years ago, using the last of the Turbo Technics kits as a base, and I had one myself :D He'll know exactly what needs to be done.

It might be more economical to drop a 1.8T in though.

Right on Kev.. I think it was scarlett who asked about turbo'ing a 2.0 16v back at a Rolling Road Day a few years ago and Vince basically said it's a sh!t load of work and that dropping in a 1.8T is easier, more cost effective, and more likely to yield better results!

ha then 1.8T it is then...

My mate actaully has a 20v turbo 1.8 engine from an audi tt in his rado and that thing literally flies!!! may go down the same route as him, unless a different engine is recommended?

I like the idea of a 16V with a current shape Audi S3 lump in it (2.0 TSFI). 261 standard ponies, with scope for 300 with some mapping. Or indeed any 2.0 TFSI lump with the K04 turbo on it.

I like the TFSI, it's a lot smoother than the 1.8T with it's balancer shafts and not that it really matters to us modders; more economical!

tt engine it is then, although i need to save more pennies as i think they go for about 500+!!! ahh well watch this space......thanks for all the advice!

tt engine it is then, although i need to save more pennies as i think they go for about 500+!!! ahh well watch this space......thanks for all the advice!

That's not bad for an engine, my R32 lump cost £1500! :shock:

Would love to see an S3 2.0 TFSI lump in a corrado, I bet it would be awesome!

thing about the tfsi lump is that i wouldnt know where to start, at least with the tt engine people have done it before so i know it can be done! plus it got to be done on a budget and iv never done an engine conversion before so dont really know whre to start!

What engine mounts will i need? i think once its in ill be okay hooking everything up (although some supervision would be good!) And it needs to be done pretty much within a weekend as the cars my daily!!!

If you need it doing in a wind then look at qpeng (QPE - Quantum performance engineering) for their ecu and loom and a full guide on how to convert easily in a wknd.

Sounds like this is the best option engine wise as you say getting an engine is like £500+ well of you converted your 16v to turbo then you will not have much change left from a good few ££££k

If you need it doing in a wind then look at qpeng (QPE - Quantum performance engineering) for their ecu and loom and a full guide on how to convert easily in a wknd.

Sounds like this is the best option engine wise as you say getting an engine is like £500+ well of you converted your 16v to turbo then you will not have much change left from a good few ££££k

that guide is amazing, you may literally have just solved all my problems, cant thank you enough for showing me that!!!!