Sign in to follow this  
bassjamm

Changing the interior carpet

Hi all,

I'm thinking about swapping out my grey carpet interior for black but I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Can anyone give me and direction on this please?

Thanks

Jamie

i think its been covered quite widely so have a search.

Anyway, in the meantime heres a little summary:

Pull off plastic trims by the door

Unscrew teh rear doorcard screws (one each) and carefully pull the doorcards off

remove the rear seat bases - push hard at the front of teh seat and the bracket will pop out

remove the black plastic seat runner covers (either side of the tunnel)

remove the front 10 (iirc) bolt at the front of the seat and slide it back - if you ahve heated seats, remove the connector from under the seat itself

Remove the seatbelt securing bolt (17mm) and pull the bar out - make sure you secure the bar in the rear slot when refitting!!

Remove the centre tunnel - two pieces, need the handbrake handle off first

Remove the plastic covers in the footwells

By the pedals, you'll see where the carpet has been fitted to the floor - remove the plastic nuts there

Check if there's anything else holding the carpet in place

Take the carpet out. Not tricky, or difficult, just allow yourself some time and keep a tub for the clips etc.

Go for it, I did mine a few months back and I reckon it looks so much classier. Pretty straightforward, the previous post covered it well. Pics below.

P5050223.jpg

P5050222.jpg

Thanks for the pics mate...looks good :)

I was thinking I'd have to change the grey plastic middle bits and the pillars to match but yours looks quite nice there! I have red leather seats though, so the black, grey and red might just be a bit too much...hmm!!!

i think its been covered quite widely so have a search.

Anyway, in the meantime heres a little summary:

Pull off plastic trims by the door

Unscrew teh rear doorcard screws (one each) and carefully pull the doorcards off

remove the rear seat bases - push hard at the front of teh seat and the bracket will pop out

remove the black plastic seat runner covers (either side of the tunnel)

remove the front 10 (iirc) bolt at the front of the seat and slide it back - if you ahve heated seats, remove the connector from under the seat itself

Remove the seatbelt securing bolt (17mm) and pull the bar out - make sure you secure the bar in the rear slot when refitting!!

Remove the centre tunnel - two pieces, need the handbrake handle off first

Remove the plastic covers in the footwells

By the pedals, you'll see where the carpet has been fitted to the floor - remove the plastic nuts there

Check if there's anything else holding the carpet in place

Take the carpet out. Not tricky, or difficult, just allow yourself some time and keep a tub for the clips etc.

Top info there, i'll be doing this at some point too, and this is now my guide thanks :notworthy:

cheers mate, i jsut dont know how to go aout making it fit nice and not have chopped frayed eges on certain bits which i dont know how to leather seal the edges....

Cheers though.

Is that black carpet,bits of carpet chipped to fit or a one bomb after market peice which slots in around the bits and bobs which are there?

I wouldn't even be thinking of trying to make a set if I was you. Have a look in your car, study the shape of the carpets and then think ......... could I do that? They were moulded to fit in the factory and there is no way you will ever get remotely close to an original finish. New carpet sets are unavailable from any source so your best bet would be to place a wanted ad. on the forum. You should be able to pick up a good set for around £50 ish and at least they will fit and not look like a Blue Peter project.

i thought there was a post a while back about someone dyeing their carpet ? i mentioned it to er in doors , she said it was difficult to dye nylon ,being plasticy .

Its true i think its poliester based or whatever which doesnt stick.

Doesnt have a rough enough surface area to absorb any of the dye, ive also noticed that somechoose to do this with normal cans, which leaves it with a rough texture witch is pretty hard and not exactally the nicest quality finish

Cheers though mate, il see what happens and post some pictures of what ever i decide to do.